Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Remington Hepburn Antique (Read 4216 times)
Retreever

Remington Hepburn Antique
Dec 2nd, 2020 at 8:54am
Print Post  
As I have alluded to in other posts on this forum I would very much like to add a Hepburn to my collection.

One has come up at a local action - see description below. Has anyone heard of that calibre and what would the gun be worth as described?

REMINGTON HEPBURN , MODEL: DROP BLOCK RIFLE , CALIBER: 40 1 7/8 , BORE IS FAIR, LIGHT PITTING. BLADE FRONT SIGHT. U NOTCH ADJUSTABLE REAR SIGHT. OCTAGONALAL BARREL. MARKED E.REMINGTON AND SONS, ILIONNY. RIGHT SIDE OPENING LEVER. HAMMER WORKS. BREECH BLOCK SPRING BROKEN. TWO PIECE WOOD STOCKS. CHECKERED PISTOL GRIP. CURVED STEEL BUTT PLATE. STEEL FOREND CAP. METAL FINISH TURNING BROWN, LIGHT PITTED SPOTS. HANDLING MARKS. STOCK SHOWS DINGS, SCRATHES AND HANDLING MARKS , ACTION: DROP BLOCK , BARREL LENGTH: 28" , SERIAL# 3536 , CONDITION:6/10 ANTIQUE

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Remington Hepburn Antique
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 9:50am
Print Post  
It sounds like a 40/50 Sharps. As far selling price, at an auction who knows. Check sold items on Gunbroker, not asking price. Figure on at least $1200, maybe even up to $16-1700 depending on who shows up to bid on it.

IP Logged

ssrifles
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 9:56am
Print Post  
pm sent.   tony <><

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 9:58am
Print Post  
BREECH BLOCK SPRING BROKEN.

stay away from it

Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

oughtsix
Global Moderator
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 10:05am
Print Post  
a 40 1 7/8 is   .40-50 Sharps  designed for paper patched bullets.    without seeing photos, hard to judge a price.  The recent Amoskeag auction just sold quite a few Hepburns  for what I thought (IMHO) for big money. Nearly all were listed as "special order" "rare"  "unique", ( aren't they all).  However, a 40 1 7/8 sold for $2585 (inc BP) and a 38-40 for $1645.   

To answer the big question, I would be in the bidding up to about $1500, and would  consider Buyers premium, hoping to spend less than $2k.  But if I saw it and fell in love with it, well.... a fool and his money....

Good luck, 

if you win it, post a photo!

Life Member ASSRA, OGCA &  TSGC
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters........ Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 10:31am
Print Post  
this is a loose rifle that will need a lot of work.
breech block spring in a Hepburn?

Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 10:48am
Print Post  
Yes, a breech block spring is the spring that pushes against the lever and helps the breech block snap up into position. A very easy fix, and not super expensive spring to buy.

I'd agree with oughtsix's estimate. I love the .40-50 SS cartridge, and if the bore is good it's a wonderful cartridge for smokeless loads.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 10:51am
Print Post  
it should stay in battery without that spring.
A droopy lever or block is a sign. Lets see a pic

A

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #8 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Rebel wrote on Dec 2nd, 2020 at 10:51am:
it should stay in battery without that spring.
A droopy lever or block is a sign. Lets see a pic

A

Having owned one that broke the spring, I can say mine didn't stay fully up. It dropped slightly when the spring broke.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 11:29am
Print Post  
my advice is don't buy it.

Aaron

IP Logged

CW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
As a Hepburn addict and having more of them than I want to tell, and given the rest of the rifle is what I want and matches the cost I think it is worth,
....(lots of "ifs" here) then the spring is of no mater. It is an easy to address problem.

That is my three cents worth.  I hope it helps you.

BTW - if it is as I picture it, that is, pretty used but not abused too bad, $1500 would be a quick sell to me. Then, going for up to $2000, I would need know a lot more about it to crack my wallet open,   ... but maybe worth it. As said, it is very hard to know with out seeing it or holding it.  Sometimes these rifles have a special appeal or special UN-attractiveness, based on something unique you see on the rifle that may affect your attraction to it.   Also, the chambering is a good one if shooting it is on your list. 40-50 sharps straight (40-1-7/8") is an easy conversion from 30-40 Krag.

IP Logged

Oldman1950

Reply #11 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
I saw pictures of the rifle in question and looks like it will be a shooter if the bore isn't like an old sewer pipe. Send a request to the auctioneer about the bore condition. If they don't reply then just let it go. As for the breech block spring, they are to be had tempered and ready for final fitting for about $50. I have seen several Hepburns with this spring broken.

A. J. Palik

IP Logged

AndyZ

Reply #12 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
There were quite a few Hepburns at Amoskeag.  DO NOT go by the prices as a typical price for a typical rifle.  Those were in exceptional fine condition.  Next to new would not be an overstatement.
Most from one collection and the collector was "particular". I saw them.

IP Logged

Retreever

Reply #13 - Dec 3rd, 2020 at 9:47am
Print Post  
Oldman1950 wrote on Dec 2nd, 2020 at 2:12pm:
I saw pictures of the rifle in question and looks like it will be a shooter if the bore isn't like an old sewer pipe. Send a request to the auctioneer about the bore condition. If they don't reply then just let it go. As for the breech block spring, they are to be had tempered and ready for final fitting for about $50. I have seen several Hepburns with this spring broken.

A. J. Palik

I emailed the auction house as you suggested this was their reply. "The bore has light pitting overall, dark, no shine."

Retreever

IP Logged

AZshot

Reply #14 - Dec 9th, 2020 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Another will come along.  I've noticed that when I miss buying something, I often see another one in short order.  Or something similar that I wasn't so hot for, then realize after I get it I'm better off.  

That happened the other month. I had been trying to get a good Colt SAA but kept getting skunked for 5-6 auctions.  I quit looking.  Next, I was watching a sharps percussion carbine on an auction.  Needed a buttstock, I found an original "in case" I won it.  Then on auction day I wanted to test the companies online system, so picked a Colt SAA that was up about 10 lots before.  It was starting cheap, I knew I would get outbid, so clicked the starting bid.  Going once...twice...I won it.  And it's very nice, already shot it.  The sharps would have been a project for a year or more.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint