Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ballard Rifle Co. Highwall in 30-40 Krag (Read 7316 times)
oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Ballard Rifle Co. Highwall in 30-40 Krag
Reply #30 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
In one of those curious circles of history, in 1890 Remington could have taken their 38-50 Remington Hepburn and necked it down to make the 30-40 Krag cartridge for the Springfield arsenal. Now, we take the 30-40 and neck it up to make 38-50 Remington Hepburns!

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
MVA Tang on my 336 Marlin is mounted like the base pictured. Pivot on the rear of the base so it clears the open bolt.

May be advantage on your HW making the rifle easier to load. In any event no negative to rear pivot. Or no doubt MVA could supply a front pivot mount if preferred 

Boats

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #32 - Jul 2nd, 2021 at 11:05am
Print Post  
boats wrote on Jul 1st, 2021 at 6:09pm:
MVA Tang on my 336 Marlin is mounted like the base pictured. Pivot on the rear of the base so it clears the open bolt.

May be advantage on your HW making the rifle easier to load. In any event no negative to rear pivot. Or no doubt MVA could supply a front pivot mount if preferred 

Boats

Not sure the same base that MVA sold you for your 336 Marlin will have the correct spacing for a HW? MVA originally made their 1.125" Marlin sight bases with a center position pivot, but after customers complained about the breech bolts hitting the staff on various Marlin lever action repeaters, they modified the bases for those applications to be like your 336 is. But since they're a 1.125" spacing they wont work on a Winchester spacing.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Jul 3rd, 2021 at 8:40am
Print Post  
Probably confused the issue with my post. Tang on the 336 that uses  the MVA was not drilled. I drilled to suit the base. MVA advised rear pivot required for bolt clearance. 

Point is rear pivot works fine and may be required on some actions.

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint