Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ballard #3 Gallery presentation rifle (Read 2946 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Ballard #3 Gallery presentation rifle
Nov 22nd, 2020 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
Dug this one out of the back of the safe after recent question came up concerning #3 Ballard elsewhere here.
This is one of only a few guns I've bought online, without having it in my hands. When I saw it some years back on Gunbroker, I immediately got interested. But it seems I was the only one interested, as it went for a very reasonable opening price!
After receiving it I began researching the name on the silver presentation plaque in the stock, and was pretty pleased with my luck in winning it.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
The plaque reads:
"Presented to Charles L. Phillips. By the Hamlin Rifles. Co. G 2nd Regt. MVM." The "MVM" is the Maine Volunteer Militia. And the Hamlin Rifles of the 2nd Regt. were a unit started up at the beginning of the Civil War, who fought in a number of very significant battles.
Lt. Charles L Phillips was a college graduate, who entered West Point in 1878 after college, and graduated 13th in the class of 1881. He went on to reach the rank of Brigadier General, and served from 1878-1920.
He served all over the US from Pacific to Atlantic, and at Subic Bay, Phillipines during the Spanish-American War. 

The only two special order features on this #3 Ballard are the Lyman locking base tang sight, and the omission of the rear sight dovetail. 

I also received a letter from the owner, who consigned it, explaining how she came into the Ballard. Gen. Phillips was her neighbor when she was a child, and a friend to her parents in El Centro, Ca. where he died. After his retirement he moved to Ca. Death Valley for his wife's health, and met her parents, who owned the radio station in Death Valley. 
The General took a liking to her brother Heath, and gave him the Ballard. Her brother died in a car accident a few years later, and their father put the Ballard up. When her parents died, she inherited it, and it sat in her closet until a few years ago. She put it up for sale when her daughter showed no interest.

« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2020 at 7:08pm by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Re: Ballard #3 Gallery presentation rifle
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2020 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
The woman I purchased it from was Marjorie Kinder, who happened to be a retired reporter for the San Francisco Chronicle. And by chance, the first female sports reporter West of the Mississippi! She wrote the story of the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7th, as she was the only reporter in the news room that morning. Her pseudonym was Michael Kinder, as the Chronicle didn't think readers would take to a female sports reporter. But after the Peral Harbor article they allowed her to use her real name. 
Here's a couple links to Gen. Phillips' obituary, and his military records for his 43 year service in the US Army. You might note after he retired he requested a demotion to Colonel. This was soo he could command a Guard Unit in Puget Sound, which didn't have the budget to hire a General. After leaving that post, he again was restored to the rank of Brig. Gen. by an act of Congress.

Marjorie Kinder's obituary:

IP Logged

scharfe
Oldtimer

A good plan today beats
a perfect plan tomorrow.

Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2020 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Quite a rifle but a spectacular story.

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #3 - Nov 22nd, 2020 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
We often hear "If only that old -------- could talk."  Well, items with a provable provenance come as close to "talking" as one could hope for and are therefore ever so much more special.  Great find, Val!

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 10:31am
Print Post  
One thing that added to this for me was dating the gun's build date. The owner's letter stated that she thought the Ballard was given to the General by his troops during the Spanish-American War. But of course we all know that was impossible, since Ballard production ceased long before that.
So I went back to his military records to see when he departed Maine, which was July 1, 1888. I believe this was a parting gift when he left at that time. So it gives a fairly accurate timeframe for when this particular serial number was built. Something we rarely have for Ballard serial numbers.
Yes Bill, that's part of the allure to this gun I enjoy most. Knowing so much about the whole gun's history, and history of it's owners is the best part for me.
I've got three other guns I can track the history of the owners, but none of them can I track the entire history from first sale to today.

IP Logged

Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Hi marlinguy,
nice rifle.
I found a similar aperture sight shown on your rifle some time ago but never used it as no lock nut or anything else to stop the adjuster moving which is longer than the one shown on your rifle. I had intended to use it on a hunting rifle but thought how easily it could be moved just by brushing against clothing.
Is it the same on yours?
Regards.    

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #6 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Depending on the amount of wear from adjusting over many decades, they can often loosen up, and move too easily. Mine is still like new and adjustment doesn't move that easy. It takes a positive turn to make an adjustment, so no chance of it being accidental.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Nov 24th, 2020 at 1:43am
Print Post  
Vall,
That is a very nice rifle but AWESOME provenance!  Thanks for sharing!
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #8 - Nov 24th, 2020 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
Thanks Greg. I'll have to post a couple others that I have pretty good provenance on the guns and their owners.

IP Logged

Fritz
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Nov 24th, 2020 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
That's quite a history on your rifle and a real keepsake.

YIM  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #10 - Nov 24th, 2020 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Fritz wrote on Nov 24th, 2020 at 2:31pm:
That's quite a history on your rifle and a real keepsake.

Thanks! I've always been puzzled why nobody else even bid when it was on GB? It was a very modest opening price, and I was a good $500 over it, but since nobody else bid I got it at opening price.

IP Logged

Gunfunpow

Reply #11 - Nov 24th, 2020 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Thanks for sharing the back story and that nice old Ballard with us all. How lucky to find it on GB! Great research as well, I think that's what makes old guns the most fun. What a treasure!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #12 - Nov 24th, 2020 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Gunfunpow wrote on Nov 24th, 2020 at 5:08pm:
Thanks for sharing the back story and that nice old Ballard with us all. How lucky to find it on GB! Great research as well, I think that's what makes old guns the most fun. What a treasure!

Thanks. I really enjoy history, and the whole process of gathering provenance too. I've tried to gather provenance on many guns over the years, and it's been greatly simplified the last 10-15 years with the resource we now have online. 
Writing letters, and making phone calls in the past was a slow, painful and often frustrating process.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint