Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Revision to 1870 SF Army Rolling Block with more / (Read 2747 times)
wsmrto
Participating Member

Revision to 1870 SF Army Rolling Block with more /
Oct 31st, 2020 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
I really need to confirm the RB that appears to be a 1870 Army Trials. Everything is correct except the barrel is 32 5/8 in. Possible barrel change to a near same 1871 Navy. The rawhide barrel repair is still solid. I have a 1870 Navy whicvh is also 32 5/8 barrel. And a several NYS RB's. My main pusuit has been short rifles and Carbines. With a Baby in 44 WCF and a 46 RF in a Uraguay carbine. I reall want to get some guidance as to the direction to go with over 40+ Rolling Blocks which I  reload for many.  I have 3 Swede RBs including a rare short School Training rifle in now relined 44WCF. Several original 8X58 Rim Danish that are great shooters.

IP Logged

wsmrto
Participating Member

Revision to 1870 SF Army Rolling Block with more p
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2020 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
More

IP Logged

oldremguy
Participating Member

Re: Revision to 1870 SF Army Rolling Block with more /
Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2020 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
A rifle like this was discussed on the Remington Society web site 2 years ago.
Here is a link
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Have a Good Day,
Matt

IP Logged

wsmrto
Participating Member

Afferm my 1870 SF Army Rolling Block is correct
Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2020 at 2:34am
Print Post  
Thanks oldremguy! I have a few of the Rem Books and they also note a 36 in. barrel.  I have quite a few RB's and this looked in every way to be original. The barrel index marks, the number "39" on both tangs and barrel. The fit and interior finish when I disassembled were pretty nice with no broken parts. I replaced both the main and trigerspring.  With the clean and oil the action works like it was new. I am looking to get to the range and give a range report. I do also have the 1871 Army and Navy in 50/70 and about 4 NYS rifles.

IP Logged

RBKenn

Reply #4 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 11:28am
Print Post  
Congratulations on acquiring a very rare rolling block.
Owning 40 RBs puts you in the category of having the virus for which there is no cure.  If you do not already, you owe it to yourself to have Richard Hosmers' book, the .58 and .50 caliber rifles & carbines of the Springfield Armory 1865 - 1872, in your library.

The trials rifles were made on the design of and the raw/basic parts for the 1870 Navy .50-70 Rifle. The intra agency jealousy between services had already shown itself with the RB pistol ammunition. The Army insisted their .50 pistol cartridge be different from those already manufactured round for the Navy RB pistol. Hence the Navy .50-25 and the Army .50-26.   
As you know, the Army insisted on changes to include adding the safety lock system. Which I might add Remington quietly abandoned after the New York State contract of 1872.

Anyway back to your rifle, the barrel, forend, sights match the 1870 rifle parts. That being the foundation of the trials rifle, it is not surprising that trials rifles with these features exist.

IP Logged

Muley Gil

Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2021 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
"I really want to get some guidance as to the direction to go with over 40+ Rolling Blocks which I  reload for many."

If you have a .32-20 RB, you should send it to me and eliminate one of the rounds that you reload. Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint