Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Forum speed (Read 3411 times)
bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Forum speed
Oct 6th, 2020 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
It may be just me but is anyone else slow loading pages.  It takes 25-30 seconds for me to load a page, had my son check it in Minneapolis and his is similar.  Been this way for a week when the internet supplier installed fiber optic to and in the house, actually was taking a couple minutes, so we installed some new equipment and is now faster but much slower than the rest of the internet.  Speed test show we are running at 48 mbps down and 12 up.  I can live with it as is but thought should at least ask.
Thanks,
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Forum speed
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2020 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
mine has also been very slow the last couple of days

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

Josh Borton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2020 at 11:19am
Print Post  
So I think I know what is going on for you two, but there's not much I can do about it.

To get technical, the forum performs a task called a "Reverse DNS lookup" on the internet address for all visitors. Basically this takes the numeric IP address, and asks the ISP, "What DNS name is associated with this address?" The results are recorded in the server logs, and used for various security functions.

Bobw, it appears your Internet Service Provider (ISP) is not responding to Reverse DNS lookups at all, so when the forum software asks for the reverse lookup, it gets no answer, and stops waiting after 30 seconds, and proceeds with sending you the page, so all pages are delayed by 30 seconds (this is worst case scenario)

Rebel, when I tested a reverse DNS lookup on your IP address, it took your ISP over 20 seconds to respond, so that means your pages are delayed by 20 seconds (better than worst case, but still noticeable).

As I mentioned, this is not something I can remedy, without turning off a number of security features on the forum software. Your Internet Service provider will need to fix their issues (enable reverse DNS lookups, or speed up the server doing the lookups)

By the way, you can look at the bottom of every forum page, to see how long it took for the forum to generate and send you the page. If every page takes 30-40 seconds, you are probably affected by the Reverse DNS Lookup issue. If everything is working properly, most users should have pages load times of 3-8 seconds.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2020 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
Thanks Josh,
Things where still pretty slow earlier this morning but now taking about 12 seconds to load.  Thanks for the heads up on the speed showing at the bottom of the page.  Don’t have to use my phones stop watch anymore! Grin
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Josh Borton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - Oct 7th, 2020 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Bob,

Yea, I continue checking, and found an additional issue that was affecting everyone, so it should be better for everyone now.

When you switched to LTE, you were using a different ISP, who does support the Reverse DNS Lookups, which is why it was much faster.

IP Logged

DrHenley
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Oct 9th, 2020 at 8:34am
Print Post  
I'm having the same problem.   I did a reverse DNS lookup and it was instantaneous.   But the host name it returned was the IP address ?
Anyhow, it takes 20-30 seconds on each and every page load which is VERY PAINFUL!!!  At the bottom it says something like 11 or 12 seconds, but it takes much much longer than that.
I'm on a 60 meg Internet connection and there are no connectivity problems.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Oct 9th, 2020 at 10:16am
Print Post  
DrHenley, You are right.  I hadn’t timed mine until I read your post.  Mine also says 11-12 seconds but is actually taking 20-30 seconds.  I thought it seemed to be an awful long 11 seconds!  Embarrassed  I’m not very literate at this stuff so am at the mercy of the system, in other words, I have no idea what to do about it.

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Josh Borton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - Oct 9th, 2020 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
DrHenly, I am showing the IP address you used when posting was 143.59.213.172.

Doing a test on the following web page shows a result of "Lookup Failed", so your ISP is also not publishing your reverse DNS record. Most software will just return the source IP address on failed lookups.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Josh Borton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #8 - Oct 9th, 2020 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
Bob,

I feel for you. This is not something most users would call support for, and most front line support people will probably have no idea what you are talking about (I do computer work for a living, so while I understand this stuff, I have had to call internet support, and get them to understand something is broke all too often).

I provided an example of a test for DrHenly. I will also give you yours, as well as show you want a correct lookup looks like on that test page. That MAY help your support person if you can email them that web page.

BobW Reverse DNS lookup for 192.82.97.33:

Reverse DNS lookup on my own address, 98.29.148.11 (to show what a good lookup looks like):

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Oct 9th, 2020 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Thanks Josh,
I’ll see what I can get done next week.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Nov 12th, 2020 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Josh,
They finally got the issue fixed.  Don’t know what they ended up doing but they came to the house three time to change equipment, settings and test it here.  The forum was also slow at their office for any device except desk top computers, 21-22 seconds for each page.

Anyway it sure is nice to have the speed.

Thanks,
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Josh Borton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #11 - Nov 13th, 2020 at 7:19am
Print Post  
Yay! Persistence pays off!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1