Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Numrich Kit (Read 3921 times)
Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Numrich Kit
Sep 28th, 2020 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
from FB

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Re: Numrich Kit
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2020 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Ya sure and $1.50 postage. From years ago

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2020 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
I looked at a Rolling Block that the owner thought was a genuine Creedmore. He was a bit downhearted when I pointed out the Numrich logo next to the Creedmore marking on the barrel.

JS

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2020 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Kid brother inherited a 7 mm smokeless action and got one of the last of these kits about 30 years ago... took two tries to get the right threaded barrel (sound familiar) and this, their “last” barrel in this style required minor straightening, but it finally worked out.  He had the receiver milled to octagon top style and added a cheap Italian tang and globe sight set to get a fun shooter in 45-70.

Froggie

PS I sure would have liked to build up a gun on one of the 444 hammered barrels they offered back then!

IP Logged

Tom_Trevor assra life no.71
Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Reply #4 - Oct 8th, 2020 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
The kit I bought was bored so far off center it would hit six feet to the right of a 100 yard target. Enough of Numrich for me.

IP Logged

flint45
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
I have one of these and at first I thought it was a big mistake it came with a bunch of stuff the old owner was shooting like some 300 grain bullets and old du pont 3f black powder. This gun does not like short light bullets it shoots with great accuracy the government bullet of 510 grains and Goex ctg. 60 grains . But the butt stock is awful.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
Tom_Trevor assra life no.71 wrote on Oct 8th, 2020 at 5:57pm:
The kit I bought was bored so far off center it would hit six feet to the right of a 100 yard target. Enough of Numrich for me.

I'm morally certain that Numrich buys reject lots for scrap metal prices and retails them on the web site.    Ask me about the .22 liners I once bought that were bulged .005" to .010" oversize in spots.   Angry

<div class=

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Mar 6th, 2021 at 10:49am
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Mar 5th, 2021 at 9:30pm:
Tom_Trevor assra life no.71 wrote on Oct 8th, 2020 at 5:57pm:

I'm morally certain that Numrich buys reject lots for scrap metal prices and retails them on the web site.    Ask me about the .22 liners I once bought that were bulged .005" to .010" oversize in spots.   Angry

Much of what Numrich has offered for sale over the years has been rejects from others! And often at scrap metal prices! Sometimes they got lucky and got some good parts in the mix. Sometimes they got lucky and sold stuff to people who couldn't tell the difference. Sometimes their return policy made it tough on customers to return items, so they simply tossed small purchases in the scrap bin.
I bought one of their .45-70 barrels for a project decades ago, and the bore was off at one end by over 1/8" from center! That was fortunate, as it being so far off I could easily see it before any work began!
I bought a set of screws for an 1889 Marlin I was working on, and when they arrived all the heads were flat head! I ended up chucking each up and shaping the heads to look correct.
Bought a pawl or hand for a Colt SAA and it came without a flat spring. I called them and they wouldn't replace it until I sent the bad one back. Then they sent a replacement, but with it came another bill for shipping! A note said they'd add the shipping charge to my next order! Called them up and read them the riot act, and told them they could be waiting a very long time before ever adding it to another order, as I'd not be making one. The person agreed to cancel the shipping charge, and I told him he still owed me for shipping the bad part back! They credited me for that.
I try to buy very little from them, but did get quite a bit of their Remington parts when they were selling off the late Rolling Block parts.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Msalm

Reply #8 - Mar 9th, 2021 at 11:48am
Print Post  
Just in the last year I bought a bunch or rifle barrels from them.  They were original Heym hammer forged barrels for their old line of SR bolt and straight pull sporting rifles.  EXCELLENT quality and if you could work with the dimensions of the tenon they have worked extremely well for me.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #9 - Mar 9th, 2021 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Msalm wrote on Mar 9th, 2021 at 11:48am:
Just in the last year I bought a bunch or rifle barrels from them.  They were original Heym hammer forged barrels for their old line of SR bolt and straight pull sporting rifles.  EXCELLENT quality and if you could work with the dimensions of the tenon they have worked extremely well for me.

Buying surplus factory barrels from them has never been an issue. It's all the rest of their parts that are not factory made that are suspect.
Up until maybe 6-7 yrs. ago they still had original Marlin factory barrels for models made in the 1890's. They were bought as scrap from Marlin when they moved their plant from New Haven to North Haven, way back in the late 1960's.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint