Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Yet another cast projectile diameter question (Read 1038 times)
LJP
Participating Member

Yet another cast projectile diameter question
Aug 14th, 2020 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
I have an original Remington Hepburn No3 .40 1-7/8. A chamber cast was cerrosafe proved it to be chambered in .40-60 Winchester. I now have dies / brass & finally got round to slugging the bore diameter today. Slugged it twice & came back with 0.4075". Measuring the throat on the chamber cast measures 0.415". Was thinking .410" should be best for the throat / bore combination I have. Question is what diameter projectile should I be shooting? Was going to purchase some ready cast projectiles to start with until I'm set up to do my own. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Yet another cast projectile diameter question
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2020 at 10:24am
Print Post  
You didn't mention the groove diameter. That is another piece of the puzzle. That bore diameter sounds more like groove diameter. Is it the same as the throat?

IP Logged

Bnelson

Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2020 at 11:11am
Print Post  
The 40 1 7/8 is the designation for the 40-50 straight.  Maybe that is the difference you are seeing.
Bruce

IP Logged

LJP
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2020 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
I think Im getting my terminology wrong. The OD of the slug measured .4075". The grooves are smaller - actually very faint I'm struggling to get consistent measurements.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint