Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic custom top punch for sizing pointy bullets (Read 1085 times)
boho

custom top punch for sizing pointy bullets
Aug 7th, 2020 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
So now that I have to size my bullets to better fit my undersized or "tight Bore .307" Pac Nor barrel I've gone back into my box of sizing stuff. Several years ago I made a "made to fit" top punch by using epoxy and making a mold of the bullet nose. You could use a large caliber punch or drill a smaller one out. Mix up your epoxy and fill the hole. Using something to push down the pin inside the die drop the bullet in with  lube or something on the bullet so the epoxy doesn't stick. Bring the ram down with your punch on top of the bullet some epoxy will squeeze out. Center everything leave the set screw loose. Tighten the set screw when your happy with the alignment and put some pressure on it. Let it harden and turn the overflow off in the lathe. This worked great for my Paul Jones pointy bullet. It leaves no marks. And I believe dose a better job of keeping everything in prefect alignment.

IP Logged

boho

Re: custom top punch for sizing pointy bullets
Reply #1 - Aug 7th, 2020 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
let it harden.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2020 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
It also works very well for Pope and Dell style lube pump dies to keep the lube from leaking past the bullets.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

4570mike
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2020 at 9:56am
Print Post  
I've made up similar top punches for my Lyman 450.  I use JB Weld Quick Set.  I mix a small amount of stainless steel powder (not used for a bedding job) to give the glue a bit of hardness.  I start with a top punch that will fit the sizing die but with a cavity bigger than the bullet. The set up is finish cured in correct alignment  in the 450.  Any excess can easily be trimmed.  I always index-mark the punch so it can be returned to the same orientation if removed.
And, yes, don't  forget the releasing agent  Wink
Mike.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint