Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic H. M. Pope Rollingblock (Read 3278 times)
Smoke
Oldtimer

H. M. Pope Rollingblock
Aug 6th, 2020 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
I know this is the Rifle Photo forum, but ssmann's posting of his Neidner Rollingblock pistol in the General Discussion group, coupled with the dearth of new stuff to look at here got me thinking these photos might be of interest.

Chambered in .22 short in what looks like it might be a relined barrel, the gun is threaded on the end.  Common wisdom has it that many gallery pistols were fitted with supressors to make the competition more enjoyable.

FWIW & YMMV

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: H. M. Pope Rollingblock
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
Nice pistol. When you state that it may have a relined barrel, is it a Pope liner, i.e. Pope rifling, or has the original Pope rifling been replaced by the liner?
If you have had an opportunity to fire it, how is the accuracy?

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
Smoke by chance did you shoot at the ISSA Nationals at Raton?

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
John - The ISSRA nationals were not held this year, due to the covid19 pandemic.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 7th, 2020 at 7:45am
Print Post  
RSW wrote on Aug 6th, 2020 at 10:24pm:
Nice pistol. When you state that it may have a relined barrel, is it a Pope liner, i.e. Pope rifling, or has the original Pope rifling been replaced by the liner?

RSW, did Harry use a different style of rifling for 22's? If I recall correctly, I read once where he used right hand rifling in the 22's but I have no idea of what his rifling would have looked like.to

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Aug 7th, 2020 at 11:28am
Print Post  
I love Rolling Block pistols, and that's a truly gorgeous example! Hope I can acquire a nice Rolling Block pistol like that some day!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Aug 7th, 2020 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Old-Win,
The Pope 22rf I just picked up has his signature rifling and it's left hand twist... Smiley  I've read or been told that he did do some in right hand twist but I haven't seen it yet.
If you look at pic 10, not at the mirror image but the blurry edge in the actual bore, you'll see how the center of the groove is bore diameter or close - to the land diameter  Smiley
Another thing I noticed when I did a chamber cast, it's cut short, too long for a 22 short - but it just graves a 22 LR when you close the action, was this Harry's norm?  It shoots target velocity ammo exceptionally well.  I'd like to see a scoped view of this pistol's bore.   
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

terry buffum

Reply #7 - Aug 7th, 2020 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
The Pope barrels I have owned with right hand twist were all for "high power" cartridges.  7 x 57, .30 on .405 case, 7.5 Swiss, several for .30-06.   

I have one I cannot figure out what it was intended for, but I am hoping Marlinguy will get over the mountains soon and help me with that.

Life Member #205

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Aug 16th, 2020 at 3:12pm
Print Post  

We originally thought that Pope had taken the original barrel and cut off the threaded end and an inch or so of the octagon and then threaded his barrel into that.

Further examination shows that is not the case. 

My shooting partner and I have fired the gun with good quality .22 short match ammo and it shoots as well as we do, which isn't saying much other than the bullets seem to go to call.

Some day if we ever get back to having black powder pistol matches, we'll have to give it to Bill Polkinhorn and see what he can do with it.

IP Logged

terry buffum

Reply #9 - Feb 10th, 2021 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
To the top to join other custom pistols

Life Member #205

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint