Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Spire point verses meplat type bullets (Read 6284 times)
gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Spire point verses meplat type bullets
Reply #30 - Aug 7th, 2020 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Aug 7th, 2020 at 11:00am:
Are these current 3" ten shot groups at 1,000 yds. done with BP, and slower velocities, or are we again comparing modern high velocity bolt guns to old BP velocities?
I'm out of touch I guess, as I haven't seen or heard of 3" ten shot groups in BPCR or similar type shooting. But if this is high velocity ammunition and guns, then I'm not surprised they're shooting spire points.

You are not out of touch Smiley.   No one is doing anywhere near that good Smiley.   Anything scoring in the upper 80's or into the 90's is generally an outstanding target.

Chris.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Aug 7th, 2020 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
Old-Win wrote on Aug 7th, 2020 at 1:50pm:
A little story about elliptical bullets and bullets with a meplat and this pertains to black powder target rifle. Last August, we had a practice day at the Harris range. One of the better black powder target rifle shooters in the country was there and he was shooting elliptical bullets and his favorite load. He was keeping them well centered in the middle of the target and we were shooting at 1000 yards. We were about to wrap up the shooting when he pulled out a half a dozen bullets that another shooter gave him that had a flat meplat. They were from one of the international muzzleloader shooters . Since he was shooting paper patch, all he had to do was pull a bullet out of the case and stick in one of these other bullets. We're all standing around when he asked."what do you think I should do to my come ups"? Nobody had an idea so somebody said just shoot it and we'll see what happens.  He punched a 10. He shot another one and punched an X. He shot his third one and punched another 10. I'm not sure of the order. This was witnessed by at least a half a dozen shooters. So the long story short, there is not a whole lot of difference between the bullet that looks aerodynamic compared to one that has a meplat, at least in black powder cartridge shooting.

Bob was that Jim K. by any chance?  I am amazed that there was no difference in elevation.   I have never tried bullets with a meplat for LR.  I learned early on that deviating too far from what the top shooters were using generally resulted in poor scores, so after 2 years of pain I jumped onto the .45-90, grease grooved Money bullet wagon train and never looked back.  It helped tremendously.  I am continuously impressed by Mr. Distant Thunder and his PP results however  Smiley.   

Chris.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Aug 7th, 2020 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Good for you John Louis. Willing to try something new or different!

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Aug 7th, 2020 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
Chris, 
Yes, it was Jim K. Everybody was  scratching their heads and still occasionally talk about it and nobody has an answer. One shot, you could write off to luck but not 3 in a row,  I've seen this happen before though but not at that distance.  My shooting partner is also a paper patch shooter and when we go to the Quigley during practice, he's always trying different loads and bullets just to see what happens.  He can even change to a different bullet weight and for example at 600 yards, the bullets almost go on top of one another. Sometimes I think we get dragged down the internet rabbit hole. I do think Metford had it right though with his design of the money bullet. We are going to have another long-range match this following weekend but I don't know how many will show up with this virus going on. Recoil is really starting to bother my neck and I'm thinking of trying a 40-65.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Aug 7th, 2020 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
Thank you rkba2nd I have been doing just that for 22 years now and I have yet to leave the range without having something else that I now need to try.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #35 - Aug 7th, 2020 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
  At the Etna Green summer match we were sighting in on Wednesday, very casual. I was sighting on a score target and had about six shots in the 25 or close when I finished the partial box of bullets I started with. On a whim, I asked my neighbor if I could borrow a bullet; "well sure, what sort do you want?".  He had one with a similar nose shape but it was 4 grains lighter, .002" larger, different alloy and lube. It seated hard but went right in the group. I shot two more and they also went right in.  That's not supposed to happen, is it?
  Am I wasting my time shooting my bullets in the order cast?   
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2020 at 5:37pm by Jeff_Schultz »  

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Aug 7th, 2020 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
No it would not be a waste of time the next two could have been 23's as there is no proof of consistency.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Aug 10th, 2020 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Totally agree and I was not trying to discourage the use of a spitzer bullet by any means.
Also thought you might like to see some of the ASSRA records shot with FN bullets back in 70's that still stand today. Not trying to prove a point and just wanting to share.

Benchrest, Centerfire, 25 shots:  average 5-shot group, 100 yds.
.276" Claude Roderick 1976

Benchrest, Centerfire, 50 shot:  average 5-shot groups, 100 yards
.449"  Barry Darr 1974

" Those scores are postal matches. "

But they are still being listed as being assra records as is being shown at the below link.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Aug 10th, 2020 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
IMO most all the top shooters in 200yd BR shoot spitzer type bullets, until I can shoot as good as them, why in the world would I go over in left field and play with a blunt nose bullet, you go with the winners.  Ledball

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint