Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Spire point verses meplat type bullets (Read 6304 times)
oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Spire point verses meplat type bullets
Reply #15 - Aug 5th, 2020 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
My 30-40 Krag has the normal 10 twist barrel and it will handle 220 grains just fine. You have a ton of choices in used 30 caliber moulds but a lot will be gas checked ones. Your 165 is already close to the ball park. Give it a try.
« Last Edit: Aug 5th, 2020 at 7:17pm by oneatatime »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #16 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 9:52am
Print Post  
rkba2nd wrote on Aug 5th, 2020 at 12:47pm:
marlinguy  Bullets may/ do destabilize but certainly not at any range we are concerned with. Extreme long range rifle bullets are still stable at, well, extreme long range. Those bullets look very much like the proverbial rocket ship. And for good reason.

Yes, at the distances schuetzen or even midrange is shot bullets shouldn't destabilize. But at BP or lighter smokeless levels at longrange 1000 yd. shooting I've seen numerous times when bullets that made nice clean holes at shorter distance went through the paper oblong at long range.
So it depends on the bullet, the velocity, and the distance; not just one of these components. I wont use spire point bullets for long range shooting, and all my loads are in the 1300-1350 fps range.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Vall makes one wonder how anyone won any Creedmore matches and shot such amazing scores. Or how Billy Dixion made that famous shot without having bullets shaped like a sharply pointed rocket. Even Pope himself did pretty well by doing without such a design but just the opposite. And the same goes for CW Roland and his record that stood for several years.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
At that time and place, wonderful scores were made with other than spitzer bullets, no question. My point being that they are no longer used in 1000 yard benchrest matches, where the current record is something close to 3 inches for 10 shots. As I said, like comparing apples and oranges. There must be a sound reason why long range shooters today are using very long (rocket shape) , if you will, bullets as oppoosed to large meplat bullets. If you are trying to replicate what was in use 100+ years ago, rcords are still being broken, but nothing even close to what is being accomplished today. Again, apples and oranges. The same applies to short range benchrest, the distances we shoot, again apples and oranges, albeit the difference is less notable. As J louis, I believe noted, each rifle is different, and one must find what works best in that particular rifle, barrel, cartridge, etc. But, if you don't at least try, you will never know for sure.  Krag

rkba2nd

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
I might also add, that in spite of the effect Billy Dixon's shot had on the outcome at Adobe Walls, He himself declared in his own words, that it was a scratch or ( lucky) shot, or something to that effect. Still, more power to the man, he tried, and succeded. Whether he could have repeated the shot, we will never know.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Unfortunately the Indian wasn't very lucky that day.

In regards to comparing today with the past it's really just a lost cause and a waste of time. The rifles have changed, the shooing equipment has changed, the twist rates have changed, the bullets have changed and become longer, the powders have changed, the shooting benches have changed, the quality of the optics have changed and list goes on.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
Launching at 3000+ fps where most of the flight, if not all, is supersonic is a lot different than what happens in BPCR and BPTR where a significant portion of the flight is in the transsonic/subsonic ranges. In Schuetzen it's probably, or would seem to be, desirable to maintain supersonic to the 200 yard mark so that is a special case and who cares what happens to the bullet after it passes through the paper.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
JLouis - As I stated numerous times. Like comparing apples and oranges. The posters question was whether a spire point bullet mould he had would work, so that he did not need to buy another mould. The answere is a resounding yes, or at least worth a try. A lot of people have great success in this game with spire point cast lead bullets. Experimentation is never a waste of time, as is learning from what we have learned and applying some of that to our game. You of all people have demonstrated that experimentation bears fruit.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Totally agree and I was not trying to discourage the use of a spitzer bullet by any means. 
Also thought you might like to see some of the ASSRA records shot with FN bullets back in 70's that still stand today. Not trying to prove a point and just wanting to share. 

Benchrest, Centerfire, 25 shots:  average 5-shot group, 100 yds.
.276" Claude Roderick 1976

Benchrest, Centerfire, 50 shot:  average 5-shot groups, 100 yards
.449"  Barry Darr 1974

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #24 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Aug 6th, 2020 at 4:59pm:
Totally agree and I was not trying to discourage the use of a spitzer bullet by any means. 
Also thought you might like to see some of the ASSRA records shot with FN bullets back in 70's that still stand today. Not trying to prove a point and just wanting to share. 

Benchrest, Centerfire, 25 shots:  average 5-shot group, 100 yds.
.276" Claude Roderick 1976

Benchrest, Centerfire, 50 shot:  average 5-shot groups, 100 yards
.449"  Barry Darr 1974

Those scores are postal matches.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
rkba2nd wrote on Aug 6th, 2020 at 1:59pm:
At that time and place, wonderful scores were made with other than spitzer bullets, no question. My point being that they are no longer used in 1000 yard benchrest matches, where the current record is something close to 3 inches for 10 shots. As I said, like comparing apples and oranges. There must be a sound reason why long range shooters today are using very long (rocket shape) , if you will, bullets as oppoosed to large meplat bullets. If you are trying to replicate what was in use 100+ years ago, rcords are still being broken, but nothing even close to what is being accomplished today. Again, apples and oranges. The same applies to short range benchrest, the distances we shoot, again apples and oranges, albeit the difference is less notable. As J louis, I believe noted, each rifle is different, and one must find what works best in that particular rifle, barrel, cartridge, etc. But, if you don't at least try, you will never know for sure.  Krag

I think that the old time Creedmoor shooters more or less do what modern long range shooters do.  Use a bullet that minimizes wind drag and drift.  Modern black powder bullets for long range are not very different than what was used originally, i.e. no meplat and long-ish noses that are not super blunt.  These work very well for the velocities used.  The modern ones, as I'm sure you know, are much better at supersonic velocities.

With a good long range (black powder) bullet like the Money bullet ( very similar to the original Metford design ) it'll be completely stable to 1000 yards unless the twist is really inadequate, or the bullet is a poor fit fore the rifle, or the guy loading the cartridges has no clue Smiley.  I've seen a few cases of oblong holes in the target at 1000 yards but they've generally been from guys using non standard rifle/cartridge/bullet combos.   

Chris. 

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #26 - Aug 7th, 2020 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Are these current 3" ten shot groups at 1,000 yds. done with BP, and slower velocities, or are we again comparing modern high velocity bolt guns to old BP velocities?
I'm out of touch I guess, as I haven't seen or heard of 3" ten shot groups in BPCR or similar type shooting. But if this is high velocity ammunition and guns, then I'm not surprised they're shooting spire points.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Aug 7th, 2020 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
The point was made several times that I was comparing apples to oranges, but that much can be learned from current long range competition, including the use of spire point bullets. The same applies to short range, 100 and 200 yard. The fact is that many are now using spire point bullets in both to be very competitive. That is not to say that they are the wave of the future, but merely to point out that they are worth considering in answer to the posters question. To not experiment, is to remain stagnant. Roland Groppe's trans-sonic bullet design is a good example of stepping out of bounds and proving that doing so can bring good results. If one wants to shoot in a traditional class and use only what was predominantly used back them, that is their choice, but they are limiting the potential for improvement. Yes, apples to oranges, but I am convinced that one can learn from the other.   Krag

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Aug 7th, 2020 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
A little story about elliptical bullets and bullets with a meplat and this pertains to black powder target rifle. Last August, we had a practice day at the Harris range. One of the better black powder target rifle shooters in the country was there and he was shooting elliptical bullets and his favorite load. He was keeping them well centered in the middle of the target and we were shooting at 1000 yards. We were about to wrap up the shooting when he pulled out a half a dozen bullets that another shooter gave him that had a flat meplat. They were from one of the international muzzleloader shooters . Since he was shooting paper patch, all he had to do was pull a bullet out of the case and stick in one of these other bullets. We're all standing around when he asked."what do you think I should do to my come ups"? Nobody had an idea so somebody said just shoot it and we'll see what happens.  He punched a 10. He shot another one and punched an X. He shot his third one and punched another 10. I'm not sure of the order. This was witnessed by at least a half a dozen shooters. So the long story short, there is not a whole lot of difference between the bullet that looks aerodynamic compared to one that has a meplat, at least in black powder cartridge shooting.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Aug 7th, 2020 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
I agree in that there is always more room for potential if one takes the time to seek it out. Roland's Transonic bullet design was quite interesting and I also used to shoot it. My next project / experiment is going to be to make a cherrie to cut a boat tailed bullet mould to see how it might work out. My good friend Barry Darr sent me a drawing of the bullet design he wanted me to try just prior to him passing away. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint