Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Caretaker for yet another one. (Read 4806 times)
GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Caretaker for yet another one.
Jul 28th, 2020 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
As I stated in a previous post, we think we own these pieces of history, yet we just get to take care of them and enjoy our time with them.  Hopefully the next individual that possesses them does also.
It's a tiny bit rough around the edges but is locks up tight, the wood is in good shape, and the barrel... is a Pope!   
Shooting it last night with a box of ammo I grabbed on the way out the door, shows some promise.  Granted the wind happened to lay down and the target was only at 50 yards.  I'm a poor scope shooter but I had a 10x Unertl that fit without much ado so it was hastily attached.   
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Caretaker for yet another one.
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2020 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Here's a couple photo's of the bore with the Teslong

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jul 28th, 2020 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
Greg,
    That is a gem. It will look even better on the Pope machine rest.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2020 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
Very cool Pope Ballard Greg! That looks like a custom lever also. How is that ball held onto the lever.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Reply #4 - Jul 29th, 2020 at 7:35am
Print Post  
That was a good buy. I saw the rifle and thought hard about it. If it had had more traditional type stocks, you would have had some competition for it ... ha

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 29th, 2020 at 11:53am
Print Post  
So true about the history Greg.  Congrats on a nice rifle, looks to be a nice shooter.

Robert Warren

IP Logged

John Rigby

Reply #6 - Jul 29th, 2020 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Wonderful promise I'd say.  I'd love to have a Pope .22 to add to my Ballard .22's as well.  Is that a forged action Greg?

John Rigby

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 29th, 2020 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
John Rigby wrote on Jul 29th, 2020 at 1:25pm:
Wonderful promise I'd say.  I'd love to have a Pope .22 to add to my Ballard .22's as well.  Is that a forged action Greg? 

If it is a forged action, is there any way to tell what it was before it was given a Pope barrel?  Does the Pope barrel have a date? Look under forearm.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #8 - Jul 29th, 2020 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
The breech block is from a centerfire rifle with the firing pin screw location, so not from a .22 or a reversible pin #2. The action is a two line address, so likely forged. Combination of the two things makes me tend to believe it's forged. Back then Ballards were cheap, so building a .22RF on a forged action was pretty common. 
I've got 4 or 5 Ballard custom schuetzen rifles in .22RF built on forged actions. Seems a waste today, but not back then.

No way to know what it was before, but we know what it wasn't. Since it's not a pistol grip receiver it eliminates a large number of models. Leaving the #4, #5, as all straight grip, to choose from. My guess would be one of these two. Of course a #5 would have been double set triggers, but the breech blocks might not be matching numbers either. The trigger appears to be custom built, and the lever is also. So it's tough to determine without the original trigger and lever.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jul 29th, 2020 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
That looks like one of those radar type chronographs. How do you like it? I've heard that they are hard to get used to and if you don't know computers don't buy one. Very nice rifle by the way.

JS

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #10 - Jul 29th, 2020 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
Nice Ballard, Greg. Glad to see you're using it. 

I own all my rifles. Fix them up and shoot the hell out of um. Till the next one comes around.   

Was that the best fifty bucks you ever spent? 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 8:44am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jul 28th, 2020 at 10:29pm:
Very cool Pope Ballard Greg! That looks like a custom lever also. How is that ball held onto the lever.

Val,
It appears to have been originally a double set trigger lever that was twisted around a little bit or even a loop lever- I haven't taken it apart- yet.   The ball was fashioned as two pieces and screwed together.   As for the breech block, again, I haven't had time to inspect it and see if the serial number matches.  Peering in the mortise when the breech block is lowered, it isn't hollow so as per the norm, the two line script on the side of the receiver indicates it is a forged action.  Smiley

I was very hesitant bidding on it at first but decided to take the chance.  I have wanted a firearm with a Pope barrel for a while.  It altered the gun budget for some, what is it David says...?  Rice and beans? probably have to beg for beer too... Grin Grin

I have a Pope barrel in my mess that was originally on a Farrow action, but the action is missing.  I have a Farrow action that I'm building from a casting and everytime I have plans to work on this, some distraction occurs, so it's still a ways down the road before it's shooting...  So... this fits the bill!  I will shoot it and the tiny bit I have shot it really impresses me - Pope made a great barrel!  The fact that it shot well with the first box of 22 ammo I grabbed on the way out the door that evening adds to the excitement! 
Joe, after gaining possession of it and fondling it, this did include almost the best fifty bucks I have ever spent on any firearm!!!
Dick,
There is always doubt in the originality of a piece when one is playing in this game.  This may be but I'm gaining some comfort as I spend more time with it. 
When I saw the numbers under the forearm it did give me a bit of a rush, I'm not real sure but I'm guessing it was made after he returned to Jersey?  The 611 is numbering out of the Hartford range? the A1B don't have any idea, 15.9 is the twist? then the date, and the only other number is a small 5 just in front of the receiver ring.  From the inspection of the bore, it's a left hand twist, narrow lands with wide grooves, and the rifling design has Pope characteristics.  If it's a copy it's done exceptionally well and so far it's shooting as one would expect.  Smiley  I really welcome thoughts and opinions.   
Greg

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 8:53am
Print Post  
JS,
That is a LabRadar and in my opinion, it is the best money I have ever spent on data collection equipment!  For best results you have to be a little bit of a computer nerd to make it perform (or have someone handy  Wink) but the info you can gain from it is very impressive.  I've given most of my other chronographs away and I don't miss them or the frustration that goes with them - not saying that this one didn't generate some of it's own torment...  Wink
Thanks for all the comments,
Greg

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #13 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 9:17am
Print Post  
Greg, the Teslong = fifty bucks.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Ok,ok
I'm a little thick today Embarrassed
The Teslong was an excellent purchase! And it was because of your comments 
Thanks!
Greg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint