Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) swaged bullets, any info ?. (Read 6032 times)
Mick B
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: swaged bullets, any info ?.
Reply #15 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Part of my cunning plan was to get a mould for casting PP bullets in dia .400". I could then use these bullets for my knurling experiments, and if those experiments did not work out as planned, I would still  have the option of paper patching them and trying that.
Frankly I'm surprised that it seems not anyone on this site has not been down this rabbit hole and posted their results, this is a bit worrying. I was hoping to learn from others experiences, rather than my own.
Finally, in order to save money, I was wondering if anyone has a mould that  they would like to sell that casts a PP bullet of .400" dia. This could either be a cash deal or an exchange for one of my many .40 cal moulds that I don't use. If anyone is interested in such a deal please PM me and I can provide a list of the moulds I no longer use, all of which are in perfect condition. If this is not possible then I will just have to grit my teeth and buy a new one.
Mike.

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
I can understand bump up on firing, but is there an advantage to shooting such undersized bullets? Once the decision is made to cast, why not get another decent grooved mold? 

Anyway, an option might be a smooth cast bullet mold intended for powder coating, but used to knurl instead? On a side thought, if you need more lube and can figure it out with bseating, Corbin says you can try a grease wad?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
MickB I admire thinkers and doers and I believe you have your intentions very well thought out. I hope it turns out to be the same as you have it figured out in your head. Might be time to just go for it I would really enjoy hearing about your results. Buy chance do you have a lathe and a milling attachment and or a mill. If so I might be able to help you in regards to making your own bullet mould.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
Hi John, what diameter would you recommend making this bullet mold if you got involved with this project or one like it?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Craigd I prefer to leave that up to each individuals own preference and especially when it's of his own thoughts on what it is he is wanting to try. But I would add if making a cherrie to cut a mould the rule of thumb for shrinkage would be to add .002 to anything from 25 cal up to 32 to end up with the right as cast finished size to the diameter of  the cherrie itself. For anything larger than 32 cal then add .003 and it too being the general rule. Alloy used also makes a difference but either way it will be within a few tenths and it should not make a big difference from 30-1 up to 20-1. At least it has always worked out very well for myself as well as opening up the baseband diameter for some other folks such as Vall on this site.

IP Logged

Mick B
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
Craigd
I have something of a collection of grooved 40 cal moulds, I would rather not add to that collection if possible. If lack of lube turned out to be a problem I would go the grease wad route no doubt.
JL
My power tools consist of one hand drill so if I need a new mould looks like I will have to buy it, that is unless someone has one to sell that would suit my needs.
I have a number of BACO moulds and am very happy with their quality so would probably get one from them if possible. 
My reason for thinking that .400 might be a good diameter to go with were because they would be easy to either breech seat, or possibly even muzzle load, and not rub off the lube being held by the knurling. Not quite sure why my old brain keeps thinking up this stuff, but it does.
So far no luck with anybody offering to sell me a suitable mould. It would seem that this idea has not been tried much, that's a worry.
Mike.

IP Logged

Mick B
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Oops, I forget  to ask what would be the best length for the bullet to be as I know there is some sort of formula for calculating this. 
My barrel is 16-1 and .400" bore if that helps.
I checked Buffalo Arms web site and it seems that any PP moulds that they have, in the size I require, are out of stock at present, looks like a custom mould will need to be ordered.
I was thinking of getting a nose pour mould if possible, could anyone provide me with the email address of a good manufacturer please ?.
Mike.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
For traditional twists MickB the length of the bullet is three times the groove diameter. But even if it is a abit faster twist it will still work extremely well.

IP Logged

Mick B
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Aug 2nd, 2020 at 12:35am
Print Post  
So that would make the bullet 1.224" long , right ?. As to a good mould maker who is available to make me a nose pour mould and what would be their contact number please.
Mike.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Aug 2nd, 2020 at 11:36am
Print Post  
Mick, if you are shooting black powder, is there any real reason to use a nose pour mold. If the back end of the bullet is just going to bump up anyhow, what advantage is there with such a bullet? I don't shoot black, nor do I have a nose pour  mold- just stuff I picked up around here that makes me ask.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Aug 2nd, 2020 at 11:50am
Print Post  
MickB in regards to a mould maker that would be able to fill your request. Contact Steve Brooks at the below link he does make nose pour moulds and he also does one of a kind work. He is a bit pricey but the quality of his work is well worth it.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Aug 2nd, 2020 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
" So that would make the bullet 1.224" long , right ?. " 

MickB if you are using .408 as your groove diameter that would be correct. I would also check with Steve Brooks as being the second recommendation as Steve is also a very accomplished BPCR competitor.

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 9:19am
Print Post  
buffalo arms will make any out of stock mold at no xtra charge and ship very soon  hard to beat the quality   art

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Art will Buffalo Arms make a nose pour mould.

IP Logged

Mick B
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Just to clarify a couple of points from my previous posts. I thought that if I was going to splurge on a new mould I would try a nose pour for two reasons. I was led to believe that with a NP mould that any voids that might be in the cast bullet would be more likely to be at, or near, the point of the bullet and have less affect on accuracy. This may just be BS for all I know, quite some years ago I did have a NP mould for my 45-90 and one thing I did notice however was that the bullets all had perfect bases, and this is generally accepted as being a good thing.
On the subject of bullet length relative to the groove diameter of the barrel, the bullet I'm currently using is from a BACO mould ( JIM409400M4 ) this bullet is 1.4" long which seems to go against  the formula of bullet dia x by 3 times the groove dia of the barrel. I might add that of the 8 or so designs I have tried so far this one has given the best results at the distance our club usually shoots which is 100m. 
Mike.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint