Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) swaged bullets, any info ?. (Read 6013 times)
Mick B
Frequent Elocutionist

swaged bullets, any info ?.
Jul 26th, 2020 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
I'm considering experimenting with breech seating swaged bullets in my 40-65,.also knurling them to hold the lube, no grease grooves. .As my barrel is .400 bore and .408 groove I was not sure what diameter it would be best to .have the bullet at. If the bullet was say .400 dia and a slip fit into the barrel what would be the best temper to make the bullet alloy from ?. Would it still bump up OK using say 20.1 ?.
Just curious if anybody else has been down this path, and how it worked out. I.forgot to mention that I will be using BP only.
Mike.

IP Logged

Mike Gish

Re: swaged bullets, any info ?.
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2020 at 12:17am
Print Post  
I would be worried knurling would not carry enough lube for BP

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2020 at 3:14am
Print Post  
US military rolled the lube grooves into bullets for the 45-70.   Ought to work.  I have a device to do that, but it is a PITA to operate.

People have swaged bullets from cast slugs ---  cast with lube grooves and lubed before swaging.

CHRIS

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2020 at 3:19am
Print Post  
On re-reading your query, you plan NOT to make lube GROOVES, but just to "roughen" the surface of the bullet.   My thinking about lube grooves, not based on any evidence, is that the lube in them does not serve so much as a lubricant, per se, but more as an o-ring to prevent gas leakage.  So maybe the surface roughness holding some grease may NOT work as you hope it might.   However, it is not hard to try.   Roll the bullets between a pair of coarse files, maybe?

CHRIS

IP Logged

Mick B
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2020 at 6:44am
Print Post  
Chris
.I read somewhere that the old buffalo hunters used to cast their PP bullets and then put them in a pound die to presumably bring the projectiles up to final dimensions prior to being patched. My plan was to do something similar. I think Corbin make a tool for both knurling the surface of a finished bullet and also one that rolls on grease grooves , I .will check if they still do.
Initially my plan would be to just cast the slugs and then.knurl them.. This brings me to the subject of diameter and alloy, any ideas would be appreciated on this front.
Finally on the subject of lube, I use SPG and was just going to dip the bullets in that, my purpose of the lubricant is solely to .avoid leading, not to soften the residual fouling as I wipe between shots. I know someone is going to chip in and suggest I go the PP route, been there, done that, just need a new challenge and PP ing .40 cal bullets is a bit of a PITA.
Mike.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2020 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Mick, I find it pretty humorous to read that paper patching is a PITA, when you propose to swage, knurl and then lube instead. You BP shooters must inhale more than smoke to think either of those is an 'easy' way to enjoy shooting. Just sayin'

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jul 27th, 2020 at 11:33am
Print Post  
Mick B that is how the Bennet bullets are being made and CPA has his contact information if you just want to buy some already made or just to try. If memory serves me right the swaging wire / bullets are 30-1 and the knurling is a cross hatch.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 27th, 2020 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Mick B Vince DeMagio in our group purchased his bullet swaging equipment from someone other than Corbin. Price was less, dies were less and the waiting time was less at the time. He uses pure 30-1 lead wire to make his cores and he also uses the cross hatch means of holding the lube. If you are serious about buying your own setup I believe I can hook the both of you up.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jul 27th, 2020 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Bits of info I've retained:

Original ammo I have for my Mauser 71/84 is dead soft, clearly swaged prior to being patched. Makes sense, since swaging with machinery can be done faster and more cheaply than casting.

One of the famous upstate NY muzzleloader gunsmiths made a press to extrude lead wire, to be cut into slugs and then formed in a pound die.  

The old buffalo hunter Frank H. Mayer said in an interview for  the Rifleman that the hunter of his time bought their bullets by the gross from eastern factories, already patched. 

<div class=

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jul 27th, 2020 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
If you haven't seen it before and enjoy the times of the Buffalo hunts this is a real good movie to watch. One of the scenes is them casting bullets over their camp fire. Not sure Hollywood did it but there were allot of buffalos being killed. I had heard or read the game department was thinning a herd and those might have been actual kills. The name of the movie is "The Last Hunt " and it was filmed back in 1956. It's an hour and forty eight minutes long and one of my all times favorites to still watch.

Should be a trailers to watch at the link or links below.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2020 at 2:33pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Reply #10 - Jul 27th, 2020 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Jim makes swaged bullets for PP guys. Maybe he has something for lubed bullets too. 

IP Logged

Mick B
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jul 27th, 2020 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
.Calledflyer
My "plan" was to cast the bullets and then roll them over a rasp to give the rough finish to hold the lube, the cost of .swageing equipment from Corbin precludes my use of it. I don't want to sink too much money into something that may not work anyway.
Uscra112
I have tried to buy cases from the US in th epast and BACO wont ship them for some reason, perhaps there is a similar problem with exporting bullets from the us as well, also the.cost may be prohibitive.
JL
I though 30-1 or softer would be the way to go, I still have to decide on the diameter of the bullet, I was thinking .400" so it would be an easy push fit into the barrel. I also though that being an easy push fit the lube would not be rubbed of on loading. Maybe I'm doing .too much thinking lately ?.
Mike.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jul 27th, 2020 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Didn't notice where you are, Mick.

Let's not overthink it.  This is such an easy and cheap experiment to do that you might as well go through with it.  Maybe it will work, maybe not.  Worst that can happen is that you'll have a barrel de-leading job.

<div class=

IP Logged

burntwater
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
When I was competing in Bullseye my mid-range wadcutter gun was built by Jim Clark and he was adamant about shooting swaged and knurled HBWC bullets for best performance. These bullets were treated with graphite and though messy on the fingers shot better than anything and left the bore spotless.   

Graphite withstands high temps, does  not leave harmful bore deposits and is an easy application in aerosol. I’ve heard of white or clear graphite used some time ago with good success. Anyway it’s an option. 

Rick

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
MickB my friend who has the swaging equipment lubes his cross hatched bullets with liquid Alox if that might be of any help. I have made a couple of hand swages for myself but I was never real happy about the end results. The equipment to do it right will set a guy back a couple of thousand bucks plus. At least that is what it cost him to get started doing his own. Not sure if Michael Bennett can ship any of his bullets across the pond. But if he can I would personally recommend that you give his a try first. Also from what I understand there is some difficulty using a richer lead and tin alloy greater than 30-1 but that could also not be 100% correct.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint