Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Fire-forming cases? (Read 4299 times)
oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Fire-forming cases?
Reply #15 - Jul 26th, 2020 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
5744 and oatmeal, organic or otherwise? I predict no change to the brass and a very dirty barrel and, when you pull the brass out, a chamber full of powder kernels. Of course, when the oatmeal finally makes a plug in the barrel you could be looking at a ring. I wouldn't do it. Don't try to reinvent the wheel. 10 grains or so of a fast pistol or shotgun powder and COW - Cream of Wheat (or, but hard to find in New Jersey, grits - but they stink!).

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #16 - Jul 26th, 2020 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
  To make 40-50SS from 30-40 Krag: 12.5g Bullseye, fill with corn meal and a wad of some sort to hold it in.
  I have it written on the wall.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

Pablom
Participating Member

Reply #17 - Jul 28th, 2020 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Guarantee to work perfect
This is what I do, 38/50 rem 303 brass and numerous others. 
1 Anneal brass 
Pistol primers
Sm charge 10-15 hrs start low, Fast or fastest pistol powder, cover with cream o wheat, corn meal,  etc, Some say corn wears bore... I’ve not seen, but won’t say it can’t. Tuft of paper cotton to cap, not needed if you keep it upright. 
Shoot it,
Trim,
Ready for paper patch loads, resize for others 
Done

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jul 28th, 2020 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
Carefully-made multi-step expander plug. A straight section, then a taper to the next size, (maybe 0.040 bigger), another straight section, another taper, etc.   Easily take 30-30 to 38-55 in one stroke, 30-40 to .40-60, one stroke, 8mm Lebel to 41 Swiss, one stroke.   Anneal afterwards.   When I used to use the cream-of-wheat program, I'd get uneven, split, or crooked necks, etc.   No more.

CHRIS

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jul 29th, 2020 at 6:53am
Print Post  
Annealed all 200 cases, so that's out of the way. Trimmed 50 to length (based on a chamber cast). Loaded a couple with 18gr of 5744 and oatmeal before deciding that was about as much trouble as loading with a bullet, so loaded the balance with a normal load and a bullet and will 'fire for effect'. 

BTW - I use a case-forming expander die that Chris gave me several years ago to make 30-40 Gov't cases into 38-50 cases. As Chris mentions, anneal and then a bit of case lube inside & out on the case mouth (about every 5th case) and it is a one-step process.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #20 - Jul 29th, 2020 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
The advantage of not using a bullet (too late in this case) is that you can leave the brass long as it tends to shorten when fireformed.  Then trim to length when you are finished.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint