Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Reload Test Improvement (Read 1571 times)
hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Reload Test Improvement
Jul 21st, 2020 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
I shot a string of 10 shots recently during an early morning's calm.

I was experiencing some shots that would go higher occasionally so I decided to load up some rounds with an over-primer wad of newspaper. These go into the case before dumping in the BP powder. Caliber is 40-65.

These were shot over cross-sticks using a 6x scope. The first shot was the one that hit on target. I thought the barrel was sufficiently warmed up by the time I made this shot so I proceeded to shoot the next 9 shots. I did not make any sight corrections during this 10 shot string. Some slight running mirage came up after shooting the one 6 shot group and this produced the next 3 shot group. I was trying to aim at the same spot in the center of the Turkey swinger at 385 meters.

Seems like a keeper and one more step that I will be doing in reloading in the future! Cheesy

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: Reload Test Improvement
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2020 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Think I'll try that too. Just one layer of newspaper print?

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2020 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jul 21st, 2020 at 6:02pm:
Think I'll try that too. Just one layer of newspaper print?

Just one. I initially thought newspaper might be too thick but using coffee filter paper would have been too difficult to manage and get into the bottom of the case.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 21st, 2020 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
I use tracing paper with a punch from Hobby Lobby. They come in "38, 40, and 45". I punch through 4 layers at a time. Goes fast.

IP Logged

hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Jul 21st, 2020 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Jul 21st, 2020 at 7:03pm:
I use tracing paper with a punch from Hobby Lobby. They come in "38, 40, and 45". I punch through 4 layers at a time. Goes fast.

I use a 40-cal wad cutter die in the press. It can cut 10's of wads at a time. I think maybe a 38-cal die would work best as maybe the wads would be small enough to just fall to the bottom of the case. Don't know for sure or if the wads may still have a stick-effect to the sides of the case. I use a gage pin to coax the wad to the bottom of the case and to lie flat.

IP Logged

Dick Dick

Reply #5 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
This is some Great info to a guy that just purchased a 40-65 C. Sharps!!! I think Black Powder loading may be in my future!!! Grin

IP Logged

CharleHunter
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 1:13am
Print Post  
So you are putting the news print in the case as opposed to the primer pocket in front of the primer?

IP Logged

hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 7:54am
Print Post  
CharleHunter wrote on Jul 23rd, 2020 at 1:13am:
So you are putting the news print in the case as opposed to the primer pocket in front of the primer?

The newspaper wad goes into the case and down against the flash hole.

The idea is to prevent powder grains from getting into the flash hole. Without the wad some cases will fill where powder grains will get into the hole and others where this wont happen. The theory is (maybe just mine) is that this will lead to differences in how the powder charge is ignited. Powder in the flash hole may act as a fuse whereas an empty flash hole may allow the primer's flame to form and extend up to ignite the bulk of the powder charge.

Consistency from shot to shot is the name of the game. Wink

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 10:56am
Print Post  
If I use rifle primers in black powder cartridges, I drop a single disc of newsprint down into the case so it rests on the bottom against the flash hole.  But having to check each case and make sure the disc isn’t clinging to the side of the case instead of down where it should be is kind of annoying.  So I have taken to using pistol primers with a Ram Prime setup, where seating the primer punches a circle out of a strip of paper inserted under the shell in the primer relief slot in the shell holder.  The paper circle seats in the primer pocket between the primer and flash hole.

The paper stock used in the ASSRA Bench Rest targets is of the perfect consistency and thickness to seat the pistol primers flush with the cases while allowing no excess room to slam back or leak gas against the breech block on firing.  I snip out the center (where all the bullet holes inevitably are  Roll Eyes) and cut the rest of the target into 1/4” wide strips and feed them under the case when priming.

The powder-in-flash-hole argument seems to have supplanted the original notion that modern primers are way more ignition than black powder needs, and may be breaking up the powder column or even moving the bullet before powder combustion is complete.  Whatever the reason, multiple comparisons show that primer wads give slightly smaller groups than the absence of same.  I would have loved to prove all this was voodoo, and saved myself the extra reloading step, but it just didn’t happen.
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2020 at 11:03am by Bent_Ramrod »  

IP Logged

hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 11:14am
Print Post  
I've basically have always used magnum Fed 215M primers with good results, and so far without over-primer (inside the case) wads. 

I think maybe to get good results from magnum primers you have to use heavy compression of the BP and also seat into the rifling by block camming action or by using a camming stick. I compress my power probably 0.35" with a compression plug and hand-seat the bullet. No crimp. I engrave the bullet (into the forcing cone) when seating about 0.035". 

It can be a bit of a pain to get the wads to sit down properly inside a case but I use a gage pin close to the I.D. size of the case mouth. I did about 60 cases, before priming, and then look over all the cases sitting in a reloading tray to be sure they're all seated properly. There may be a better and more positive way to seat them. Needs to experiement.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint