Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) vegetable wad vs cork wad (Read 2196 times)
GWarden
Senior Forum Member

vegetable wad vs cork wad
Jul 13th, 2020 at 8:15am
Print Post  
Have used vegetable wad material in the past for overpowered wads in BP shooting. See that some use cork material. Has anyone done any comparison testing between the two material? 
bob

Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: vegetable wad vs cork wad
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2020 at 8:54am
Print Post  
I use cork wads occasionally. When I preload duplex in 38-55 cases for my breech muzzle loader. Excellent results, no loss in accuracy.

There have been reports of cork wads staying in the bore after firing. They simply turn sideways like a butterfly valve. 

Only use vegetable fiber wads in BP fixed ammo. Something to push on when compressing powder. No difference in accuracy with or without the wad.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2020 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Use milk carton wads for fixed BP loads, cork for breech seating.
FWIW, Found the drill press, turned off, punches wads faster and easier than the hammer-punch method.
Chuck

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #3 - Jul 13th, 2020 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
I usually use cork but I have experimented with felt wads. I see no difference.

40 Rod

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 13th, 2020 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
One of the advantages of Cork and I am only speaking about 1/16th the cheap 3/32 second's is just not the same. If you cut a wad out of the 1/16ths and stick it on the end of a toothpick and light it, it will very quickly turn into ashes were the others will not do the same. As I said earlier when using vegetable fiber I have found them still in the bore and turned sideways just as Westerner has pointed out in an earlier post.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #5 - Jul 14th, 2020 at 9:02am
Print Post  
Ive heard that from some others but I can honestly say I have never seen it my self. Twice I have had a cork wad stay in the case so I admit that it might be possible however i don't belive there is enough mass to do any damage with cork. When I am shooting bench I shoot heads up I can see the wads blow out the end when the light is right.

40 Rod

IP Logged

GWarden
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Jul 14th, 2020 at 9:09am
Print Post  
Thanks for the replies. I see that some have had problems with wads sticking in the bbl. All my shooting is done with breech seating the bullet and wiping between shots when shooting BP, so that will not be a problem for me. Just was checking if anyone had done a test comparing veggie wads vs. cork. John thanks for mentioning about using the 1/16" cork over a thicker cork material. You all have a great day.
bob

Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 14th, 2020 at 9:43am
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jul 13th, 2020 at 5:51pm:
One of the advantages of Cork and I am only speaking about 1/16th the cheap 3/32 second's is just not the same. If you cut a wad out of the 1/16ths and stick it on the end of a toothpick and light it, it will very quickly turn into ashes were the others will not do the same. As I said earlier when using vegetable fiber I have found them still in the bore and turned sideways just as Westerner has pointed out in an earlier post.

I’m not sure I would count on the cork wad burning up in the barrel. I have recovered bullets with wax on the base that did not melt. It would be worthwhile to glue a wad to the base of a bullet and see for sure. We’re talking a few Milliseconds of exposure to heat.

Not sure what is on hand, but maybe this weekend I can give it a go.

Smokeless or black might also make a difference.

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jul 14th, 2020 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Every now and then, the subject of over powder wads being consumed by the powder gases on firing comes up on this forum. One might think that the high temperature of the burning powder would surely consume a card, cork, or vegi wad, right? Not necessarily so. Below is a photo of card-lube-card wads recovered after firing in a .45-2.1 with straight black powder loads. The top side was facing the powder column. Dimpling of the wad surfaces by the powder kernels can easily be seen. Note the wad surfaces are not even blackened, let alone consumed, by the burning powder. Also note, no powder gas blow-by can be seen on the wad edges.
Powder charge was 70 grains Swiss 1.5 with a 500 gr cast and swaged paper patched bullet. Barrel length was 30 inches.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

sharps
Participating Member

Reply #9 - Jul 14th, 2020 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
much like mr. w's finding, yrs ago i shot a lot over the winter here in wi checking and trying different lds, i would find quite a few spent veg wads that could've have been reused, rifle was bp 45/70 530+ postell style, later i did start putting a newspaper wad between the bullet and veg-wad one theory being the veg-wad would sometimes stick to bullet base and cause occasional flyier can't really confirm that but it made me feel a little better, never really tried any other wad material,,  hold hard   rich

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jul 14th, 2020 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
When I was using the various types of wad materials I was inserting the wad into the breech seater and seating it against the base of the bullet. I felt it did two positive things one protecting the base of the bullet and two providing a positive gas seal. I did this for several years with good success until I noticed a wad still in the barrel and I stopped.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Jul 14th, 2020 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
I use the LDPE (polywad) wad material. My theory is that since its is a tight fit in the case, and also the bore, that it is therefore providing a tight seal to prevent gas cutting. At 0.060" thick it should also be protecting the base of the bullet from powder grain denting. I have no leading or plastic depositing issues in the barrel.

I've experimented with veggie wads only briefly but did not see a benefit and possibly a detriment. If you need to stack up wads in your case to take up room then using other types of wads is probably a necessity but I would still use a polywad against the bullet.

I use the polywads with BP and I wipe any bullet lube off the base of the bullet. I have tried using a newspaper wad between the bullet and the polywad but did not see a difference and therefore stopped doing this. Of course, YMMV.

Plastic might not be the better for the environment but when competing you want the best performance. Lead is also not good for the environment but we use that too.  Undecided

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint