Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Shortening Brass (Read 4893 times)
4570mike
Senior Forum Member

Shortening Brass
Jul 8th, 2020 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
I'm going to make up some 8.15X46R cases from 30-30 brass. I haven't done this before, although I've re-loaded for years. What is the best/simplest way to shorten the cases?  I have a trimmer, but it seems like a lot of cranking to remove all that brass.  I did a test round and used a razor saw, which worked, but this also was labor intensive. Any suggestions?
One thing I did learn on the test case; just resizing in a 8.15X46R die didn't work. I ran it thru a 32-40 die after and it dropped in perfectly.  No doubt it will need fire forming, but at least it chambered.
Mike.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Shortening Brass
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Get the 20% off ad and try this: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links); You'll have to make a little jig tray to put in the vise adjusted to put the case neck out to cut off at the length you want when the rim is bumped up to the end. goes really quick.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
Forster makes a set-up for trimming on a drill press if you have one, they are simple to use and as fast as anything I am aware of. I would think they still make them. I use mine all the time and have for a long time to trim wildcat and forming and trimming cases formed from a parent case as in your situation. I have also used a small trim saw from harbor freight that works well, but you need to clean up the cut. I use a wilson case holder to hold the case while cutting. I use it when there is quite a lot to remove. With the forster I believe the may make a cutter that chamfers the mouth of the case also. Not sure.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

dave_j

Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
like oneattime said go to Harbor Freight. It works great. i used mine to make 300 BLK from 223

ah heck  AA#9,4227,300MP, as long as it goes bang

IP Logged

Mike Gish

Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 12:06am
Print Post  
I use a RCBS case trimmer, took the crank handle and screw out ,replaced it with a hex bit from a case prep machine that had the same thread size and used a small cordless hand drill for power. Trims a 1/4 to 3/8 off of a case in no time.

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 12:23am
Print Post  
I just drilled a hole in a  piece of lumber that I thinned down to the correct length and then cut it off with a hand cut off tool. I left them long enough that it could finish them up in my RCBS case trimmer and then after a fire forming load did a final Trim.
It's really fast this way.

IP Logged

4570mike
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 10:53am
Print Post  
Thanks, Guys!
Went to HF this morning and they had the cut-off saw "in-stock" Smiley
Better yet, they let me use an expired "20% off" coupon  Cheesy
I'm thinking of making up a case holder from a piece of wood that I can mount in the vice and it will hold the case just where I want it.
Thanks again!
Mike.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 11:06am
Print Post  
I'm a little confused at needing to cut .30-30 prior to trimming to 8.15x46 length? The 8.15 is slightly less than .2" shorter, so a cut prior to final trim is pretty thin cut, and I've never had a .2" cut myself.
I've found once expanded to 8.15mm the final cut was easily done on my powered case trimmer, and didn't take long. I suppose if you're using a hand crank case trimmer it might take some time, but I'd convert the trimmer to powered myself, and not bother with such a small pre cut.

I do use the Harbor Freight mini chop saw also for cases that need a large trim prior to final trimming, and I love it!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
I've been thinking about it and the next time I have to make a jig to hold the case being cut I might do it a little differently. I would start with a strong piece of wood like a 2x2 piece of oak. I would cut it to a length just a little shorter than from the inside of the rim to the length I wanted to end up with. I would drill a hole through from the front the diameter of the neck and no larger. From the rear I would drill a head diameter hole just far enough in to be able to slip a case in up to its rim. Then I would cut it longways so that one half left exactly one half of the trough depth. The width of the piece with the trough would need to be adjusted to center on the saw axis. The depth of the wood under the trough might have to be adjusted to provide clearance for the travel of the saw. Once the trough is held in the vise, adjusted so the saw is cutting at the proper length and square to the end of the case it would be time for the cutting part. Drop a case in the trough and run it in up to the rim and chop!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #9 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
I simply have a small hardwood block I drilled a hole through lengthwise. Then cut it in half through the hole on my bandsaw. I use a shim of whatever thickness I need under the block to get the case to set perpendicular to the blade. Once set up I lay the case in the groove with the rim against the back edge of the block to set length. Then chop it off.
Once the first case is set up for length, and squared to the blade, the rest go very fast. I use the same blocks for a lot of different cases, as it just needs to be moved in or out to set length, and the groove doesn't need to fit the case perfectly to hold it. I wear gloves with rubberized fingers, and they hold the case easily.

IP Logged

4570mike
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Good suggestions.  I'm thinking of using a short section of hard wood and boring a hole about neck diameter then opening one end to accept the base diameter so the rim stops at the edge.  The chop saw will let me adjust the position so I just cut what I need.
I know this isn't very much shortening but my trimmer for this cartridge is manual.  I have a Gracy set for 308/30-06 but I doubt they make a holder for this cartridge.  Anyways, new tools and gismos are more phun  Wink
Thanks again for your input!
Mike.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
As I said, I use a Wilson trimmer, so I use a wilson trimmer casedolder when using the saw, clamp a stop to the saw table. 
The caseholder sets the brass perpendicular to the blade, then when I cut each piece of brass, it is in the caseholder, and simply move it to the trimmer to make a nice neat accurate cut. Then knock the case out and repeat. Because I use a Wilson trimmer, I have over the years accumulated a sizeable collection of holders, and can usually find one that will work for the job at hand.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Jul 10th, 2020 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Most of the calibres that I shoot are obsolete, so I do a lot of re-forming and shortening brass.
Assuming the case is tapered: take a piece of scrap steel bar about 1/16" to 3/32" larger diameter than the base diameter of the case. Turn it to the required case length less the rim thickness. Drill it through to the neck diameter of the required case. Drill through to the base diameter, stopping about 1/4" short of the end. With a hacksaw, cut a slot along the length, creating a split sleeve. 
The brass to be shortened is entered into the sleeve which is then chucked up in the lathe. A knife edge tool is then used to cut off the surplus length.
Once the sleeve is made, this method is quite fast.
Fred

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #13 - Jul 10th, 2020 at 10:59am
Print Post  
Many years ago I switched to a Lyman case trimmer, and bought the optional universal shell holder that accepts almost all rim sizes, and eliminates buying numerous shell holders. I converted the manually cutter handle to a power shaft, and use my battery drive drill motor to turn it. It's made case trimming extremely easy, and I can switch cartridges quickly by only replacing the pilot for the neck.

I looked at buying Lyman's power unit, but at $165 I figured my drill motor would be just fine, and it is.

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Jul 10th, 2020 at 11:52am
Print Post  
I have the same Lyman kit. Great---but not for taking 3/8" off as I had to do last week.
Fred

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint