Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Shortening Brass (Read 4904 times)
Dusty Rhodes

Re: Shortening Brass
Reply #15 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Would a Plumbers hand held pipe cutter work.
They are small and cheap. Then a final trim with the Trimmer. 
Lee make the Case length guage / Trimmer, which I set up in a Drill press. Very easy and quick. 👍🇦🇺

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jul 18th, 2020 at 9:47am
Print Post  
I use a small Rigid pipe/tubing cutter for any “serious” (i e > 0.2”) case shortening.  I use a universal expander to straighten out the “roll crimp” on the shell, and then do the final trimming with a case trimmer, powered by an electric screwdriver.

If I had hundreds of cases I needed to shorten on a routine basis, like friends who convert 5-gal buckets of range pickups into .300 Blackouts, the Harbor Freight chop saw would be a cost-effective investment.  Kind of overkill for feeding a single-shot, IMHO.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #17 - Jul 18th, 2020 at 10:28am
Print Post  
I've not had good luck using small tubing cutters myself. They're designed to cut on straight tubing, and most cases are tapered, so the cutter wants to not track straight. The other issue is they curl the edge of the cut into the mouth, so that creates another issue with final trimming, as the pilot needs to fit in the mouth, and it wont fit properly.
The HF chop saw works perfectly for me, and is faster than anything else I've tried.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

ron
Oldtimer

Reply #18 - Jul 18th, 2020 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
Like marlinguy, I have done the same thing an it works great.   

ron

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jul 19th, 2020 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Form and trim die from CH4D is fast and accurate. Large cut coping or hack saw off then file. Small cut file only. Die holds the case while trimming. No collapsed necks,

Boats

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jul 19th, 2020 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
There has to be someone else who has found how great the Forster power trimmer is?

rkba2nd

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #21 - Jul 21st, 2020 at 10:02am
Print Post  
There are instances where my power trimmer just takes too long. If I have to cut off 1/8" or more I prefer to prefer to chop it first.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jul 21st, 2020 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
marlinguy  - It doesn't sound like you are using a Forster. The forster power case trimmer is set up on a drill press. I attached mine to a block of aluminum and clamp it in a drill press vice to make set up simple. A mandrel is provided to mount in the cutter head to properly align with the case, which is held in a collet mounted on the aluminum base and attached with provided screws. Once things are alligned, the depth of cut is set with the stop on the press and you are set to go. This system may not be as practical, time wise, if you are only doing a few cases, but if the intent is to trim many, as in wildcat varmint rounds, and some precision required, then this system is hard to beat. I have a table mounted drill press set up just for trimming and chamfering. For preping cases for breech seating a lot of fuss is not as necessary as the case is just a vessel for fuel. But, I have to say, that I bought this setup long ago when I was still shooting varmints and needed to speed up the process. On some cases, 219 Donaldson, for example, I bought a Harbor freight type cutoff saw to speed up things when removing 1/2 to 3/4 inch. other wise the Forster was just as fast and does a cleaner job of it. For the chop saw I use Wilson case holders to hold the case pependicular to the blade, and a stop to keep length the same. In my experience, the difference in time to trim with either setup is very little if at all.  Krag

rkba2nd

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #23 - Jul 21st, 2020 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
I'm not using a Forster, but it sounds like it works similar to my powdered trimmer, other than mine being horizontal, and this Forster being vertical. But mine also has a stop, so it simply gets moved until it hits the stop. And since mine has a universal shell holder I don't have to swap shellholders as I change brass.
But any of the units that have a pilot that fits the neck wont help when I'm rough cutting cases that have a shoulder, or much taper. Since often the cut gets into the shoulder, or larger diameter, and then the pilot is useless to guide the cutter. But using the chop saw cuts them wherever I want, and then I can open up the last of the case mouth, and do final trimming.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Jul 21st, 2020 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
As I have always said, whatever works for you is good. Just trying to pass along what works well for me.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Jul 21st, 2020 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
And just to clarify, the pilot/ mandrel is just to help rapidly align the cutter directly over the case mouth, and then removed. Unless the case is contained as in a wilson case holder it would be extremely difficult to get a precise cut without a pilot. Krag

rkba2nd

IP Logged

4570mike
Senior Forum Member

Reply #26 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Well, I took the good advice offered here on the forum and picked up one of the Harbor Freight , 2" chop saws.  I made up a shell holder from a piece of hard wood.  It indexes on the case rim.  Just had to align it so I got the correct cut.   
Some unfired RWS cases I had measured 1.825" OAL so this was my target length.  I found if I cut the 30-30 case to 1.810" it came out of the 8.15X46R sizing die at 1.834".  I only have a hand driven Forester-Appelt trimmer set up for this case, but removing the excess 0.009" isn't difficult and it trues up the mouth end perfectly.
Interestingly, the WW 30-30 brass has a rim diameter about 0.015" larger than the RWS cases. However, the chamber on my rifle accepts this without any difficulty (thankfully  Smiley).
I attached a photo of the set up. My loading bench is not very big (tight quarters  Embarrassed) so I inletted a 3/16" thick steel plate that I have drilled and tapped for the various tools I need; shot shell press; luber/sizer; powder thrower, etc.
The chop saw has its place now.  Next step will be to trim a bunch of cases and load them up for final fire forming.
Thanks to everyone for all your helpful suggestions!
Mike.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint