Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 25-35 breech seat chamber help (Read 4988 times)
Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

25-35 breech seat chamber help
Jul 5th, 2020 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
I recently got a 25 caliber Wildcat set up for breech seat and I'm thinking I would like to rechamber to 25-35 breech seat. I remember a while back i read here about a fellow who was shooting very successfully with the 25-35.(I cant find the thread though) What I'm looking for is who made the reamer and the dimensions if possible.

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 25-35 breech seat chamber help
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
I believe that 25-35 person is John Lewis.
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Cbashooter I believe it might be me I have now chambered four 25-35's for our group. Here is the latest target shot from one of them last Monday and his forth or fifth clean 200 yard target that he has shot to date. I had Manson grind the custom reamer to my own design for breech seating benchrest competition. But unfortunately it is also proprietary and cannot be purchased. I had it ground and to be used just within our own group. Below it are three 249's I shot at 200 yards back to back and I am still in the process of doing my own load development.   

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Yes, John Louis.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Might add we as a group developed a totaly and some what unique complete shooting system that might not work for anyone else. The reamer design itself just takes a very small part of it all.

IP Logged

Statesrights
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2020 at 7:54am
Print Post  
I don’t shoot a .25-35, so have not asked, but John Louis has graciously responded to my requests for guidance on other cartridges/loads. Intriguing that there might be something new out there. Wonder how quickly the esteemed Pope would have announced such a discovery?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jul 6th, 2020 at 10:40am
Print Post  
There is no prize money or prizes and the load data is noted on the targets for everyone to reference. The reamer itself is not that big of a deal anyone can design their own to fit their own bullets needs. It is just a part of a system that revolves around a specific bullet that we are all using as is the bore, groove and twist also being the same. Instead of just building a 25-35 and then trying to find a bullet that may or may not fit it properly or even possibly shoot all that well. The case itself is just the standard factory 25-35 brass. In other words the reamer itself might not even be suited to fit your own needs and at $200.00 + to have one custom ground you would be allot better off to design your own for the same price. In all honesty I have already found a minor change that I would have made to my own if I were to do it all over again.   

IP Logged

PORK AND BEANS

Reply #7 - Jul 6th, 2020 at 11:26am
Print Post  
There are doer's and there are criticizers. John is a doer. John, thanks for all the help you have given me in the past.
Rich$

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jul 6th, 2020 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Then you could maybe explain how to fit reamer design to the bullet for breechseating?  distances; angles, tolerances,...

IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Jul 6th, 2020 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
It's not fair to criticize John for not releasing the spec's on his .25-35 reamer.  I own one of these rifles and I can assure you all that we are all beta testers at this point.

Yes. The .25-35 holds promise but it also has its issues - and some of those issues are truly crazy-making.  If it were my reamer, I wouldn't be comfortable encouraging others to make expensive copies until those issues are worked-out.

As for having some competitive edge, forget that.  All I'm looking for in the .25-35 is a rifle that can compete with my own .32 caliber rifles without beating up my 75 year old body.  This rifle doesn't make me more competitive, it just allows me to continue competitive shooting for a few more more years.

JackHughs

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.  W.B. Yeats

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jul 6th, 2020 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Here are a few more nice targets Jack Hughes has shot with his 25-35 to date. The first one was on CPA that he very graciously handed down to a friend who could no longer take the recoil from his 32. Orders from his Doctor and thanks to Jack he can now continue to compete. The second one to replace his first is on a Model J FBW's action and the reason I bring it up is it might be noted in the load  information on the bottom of his targets and now you know why the two were used. If you include the one previous posted I believe this now makes four 200 yard 250's so far from his on going load development outings and I believe I might have left one additional one out.
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2020 at 1:35pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jul 6th, 2020 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
MartiniBelgian abit hard for me to explain but basically the leade angle is the same as that of the nose of the bullet. The freebore close to the length of the base and the diameter slightly under the base size of the bullet itself as cast. And also dependent on the alloy one chooses to use. The case neck size is the outside diameter of the case after being enlarged for a bullet to slip fit to seal off the gas. The intent is to allow the nose of the bullet to self align itself central to the bore and for the base to also be doing the samething. And for the base to be just large enough to make a real nice gas seal yet not large enough to change the shape of the bullet when its being breech seated. Hope this makes some sense to you and why my reamer may not work for you. It is soley based on and designed for the specific bullet that I / we chose to use. 

IP Logged

GrumpyBear

Reply #12 - Jul 6th, 2020 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
JackHughs wrote on Jul 6th, 2020 at 12:44pm:
It's not fair to criticize John for not releasing the spec's on his .25-35 reamer.  I own one of these rifles and I can assure you all that we are all beta testers at this point.

Yes. The .25-35 holds promise but it also has its issues - and some of those issues are truly crazy-making.  If it were my reamer, I wouldn't be comfortable encouraging others to make expensive copies until those issues are worked-out.

As for having some competitive edge, forget that.  All I'm looking for in the .25-35 is a rifle that can compete with my own .32 caliber rifles without beating up my 75 year old body.  This rifle doesn't make me more competitive, it just allows me to continue competitive shooting for a few more more years.

JackHughs

A good explanation and reasoning. Thank you.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Shash-yazhi -bear-cub

Brian

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jul 6th, 2020 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
GrumpyBear all SSShooter and Cbashooter had to do was ask me why before they assumed it was for all of the wrong reasons. But I can also understand how it could have been looked at differently and there are no hard feelings on my own behalf.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #14 - Jul 6th, 2020 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
John, when did you guys stop using the .28 based on the .25-35, and start using the .25-35?
Is your chamber reamer the same shoulder angle as the original, or are you guys using a sharper shoulder on them?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint