Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Bullet weight in 8.15x46R (Read 6146 times)
Smoke
Oldtimer

Re: Bullet weight in 8.15x46R
Reply #15 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
I've put Lyman 17A globe sights on a number of Euro-Schuetzen rifles.  In each case, the front sight was made to be easily removed.  In the pic attached, all I had to do was depress the thingie in front of the sight and it slid out.  Solder a correctly sized dovetail to the Lyman and slip it in place.

Yours looks a bit more complex.  Does the square head on the right control windage?

Maybe it can be disassembled and a proper base made for a Lyman?

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
Mike, thanks for the reply to my query. I knew many were smokeless rifles, but figured they and those sights had to have been used 'back in the day' of stinky ol' black. I just wanted to know- and I forgot about the Martinis hump.

IP Logged

CharleHunter
Senior Forum Member

Reply #17 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on Jul 2nd, 2020 at 10:35am:
Sorry for getting off the subject, but how, when  shooting black powder, do/did the barrel get wiped 'twixt shots with a rear sight that doesn't fold down? Seems like it would be a real pain to remove every time one wanted to schmear the goop out of his barrel. Just curious, but it came to mind when looking at the rifle above. Nice one, CharleHunter.

The sight is removed after each shot to wipe. This is not a problem in the competition that it is used in as each competitor fires one shot in turn on the metal target. Each detail could take 30 mins or more to get through with a total of 12 shots for the day.

Yes BP is stinky!! 

IP Logged

CharleHunter
Senior Forum Member

Reply #18 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 12:03am
Print Post  
4570mike wrote on Jul 2nd, 2020 at 3:48pm:
calledflyer wrote on Jul 2nd, 2020 at 10:35am:
Sorry for getting off the subject, but how, when  shooting black powder, do/did the barrel get wiped 'twixt shots with a rear sight that doesn't fold down? Seems like it would be a real pain to remove every time one wanted to schmear the goop out of his barrel. Just curious, but it came to mind when looking at the rifle above. Nice one, CharleHunter.

Mine is Nitro Proofed, so no need for BP.
The rear sights do remove easily.  The Aydt action can likely be "wiped" with the sight removed.  The Martini action needs the breach block and rear sight both removed to get a rod down the barrel.  The breach block comes out easily by removing one pin. Still, all this removal would be a PITB so it's smokeless all the way  Smiley
Mike.

Same here, both of the 8.15s that I have are nitro proofed but the competition is for any rifle using BP hence its use. I do intend to load some of that new fangled nitro stuff in the not to distant future

IP Logged

CharleHunter
Senior Forum Member

Reply #19 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 12:27am
Print Post  
Here is the Wagner Aydt Type II (?) 8.15 showing the Nitro proof marks. Unfortunately the rear sight has been replaced.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #20 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 12:28am
Print Post  
Biggi and I use a blow tube when using BP in the Aydt 8.15X46R. It shoots perty good that way. 

Last weekend used a Siebert corrective disk on the Aydt. Perfectly clear sight picture both sight and target. But due to the inherent barrel wriggle of German target rifles my score suffered. Practice would help.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #21 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 12:34am
Print Post  
CharleHunter, your Oscar Will sight may not be a perfect mate to your Aydt but certainly is period correct. Excellent sight.

IP Logged

CharleHunter
Senior Forum Member

Reply #22 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 12:51am
Print Post  
Still working through my old dad's collection and I know there are multiple European rear sights, its possible the correct sight for this rifle may be amongst them.

IP Logged

Mick B
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 7:46am
Print Post  
Westerner, pardon my ignorance but what is a Siebert Corrective Disc, perhaps I should get me one.
Mike.

IP Logged

JägerWilhelm

ASSRA #8407

Reply #24 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 8:00am
Print Post  
The Seibert diopter disk is rather interesting. The knurled ring in front of the disk is an optical magnifier, which allow you to magnify the view of the front sight. I think it goes to either 1.5 or 2x. There are also various aperture diameters, and the small lever on the disk switches the lens from clear to yellow.

I have two which came on rifles, but both were rather foggy due to thread lubricants present all these years. Tiny screws and numerous lenses. Cleaned one of them and just used the second one to see what it could do. Slightly foggy but a great sight for aging eyes. The second one is now apart for cleaning.

NRA Life, GGCA Director, OVMS Life, FDHAS Life

Mit Schützengruß,
Willi

IP Logged

JägerWilhelm

ASSRA #8407

Reply #25 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 8:31am
Print Post  

Mit Schützengruß,
Willi

IP Logged

JägerWilhelm

ASSRA #8407

Reply #26 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 8:53am
Print Post  
Smoke wrote on Jul 2nd, 2020 at 8:19pm:
I've put Lyman 17A globe sights on a number of Euro-Schuetzen rifles.  In each case, the front sight was made to be easily removed.  In the pic attached, all I had to do was depress the thingie in front of the sight and it slid out.  Solder a correctly sized dovetail to the Lyman and slip it in place.

Yours looks a bit more complex.  Does the square head on the right control windage?

Maybe it can be disassembled and a proper base made for a Lyman?

Thanks. Yes, the square head adjusts for windage, and the left screw released the sight. Will order a couple of 17As, and see what I can do. My German born father was a very skilled tool and die maker....just wish I inherited more of his skills!

Mit Schützengruß,
Willi

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the lessons about the European rifles- they get more interesting as time goes by. Neat sights and apertures for sure. 
I doubt I could learn offhand shooting very well in the years that remain- oh, well.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #28 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
My Siebert unit fits the JägerWilhelm description perfectly. 

Lucky my optics are still pretty clear. Amazing how it can focus everything so sharp. The lenses are tiny. 

When I showed it to Pete last weekend the first thing he did was turn the adjustments and tweak everything out of whack. Thanks Pete, love ya man!  Grin Kiss

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #29 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
yamoon wrote on Jun 30th, 2020 at 9:52pm:
You might read my post about adjusting brass length to push the stop ring against the chamber walls. Works for me useing a NEI 165 gr stop ring, helps center the bullet in the chamber.
Mike

Anyone follow up on this?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint