Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Bullet weight in 8.15x46R (Read 6131 times)
Smoke
Oldtimer

Bullet weight in 8.15x46R
Jun 30th, 2020 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
I have a Martini schuetzen in 8.15x46R with a 1:10 (or slighty faster) twist and nice, deep rifling.  It also has about a 3/4" long throat ahead of the case in the chamber.

I've been shooting the Buffalo Arms 180 gr ring-stop bullet.  It shoots okay but I think it might do a lot better if the bullet reached up more closely to the rifling and  I'm curious how heavy a bullet could be stabilized in this barrel.

Has anyone played around with bullets above 200 gr in a 1:10 twist barrel?

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Re: Bullet weight in 8.15x46R
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
You might read my post about adjusting brass length to push the stop ring against the chamber walls. Works for me useing a NEI 165 gr stop ring, helps center the bullet in the chamber.
Mike

IP Logged

DocRock
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2020 at 12:42am
Print Post  
A 1:10 twist seems like it would be quite tight for the 8.15x46. Is that the norm? In any event, based on both the Greenhill formula and practice in shooting 220 grs cast bullets at about 1600 fps from 1:10 twist Krag barrels, that weight/length and twist rate should stabilize easily.

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2020 at 1:32am
Print Post  
From what I've heard a 1:10 twist or something close is not uncommon in German schuezen rifles.

As for brass length, I have the brass as long as i can get it and still chamber an empty case so it's pushing the bullet as far as it can into the chamber.  However that 175 gr BAC mold doesn't have much in front of the stop ring.

I'm contemplating a heavier bullet because the longer bullet would allow for a more nose and a correspondingly longer surface contact with the throat.

Yamoon, where can I find your article?

Thanks

IP Logged

JägerWilhelm

ASSRA #8407

Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2020 at 8:03am
Print Post  
What kind of accuracy are you guys getting? And expecting? I have found the stock configuration of a Schützen syle rifle, when shooting off the bench, is a far greater negative towards accuracy/ precision than the bullet. 

I have all but given up shooting one scoped at 200 yards off the bench. That was the primary reason I grabbed a Miller rifle in 8.15.

I have been shooting a 165 bullet, but yesterday I took four 8.15s to the range and tried that 180gr BACO bullet at 100. Was pleased enough to order a mould. As I expected, the 2 Stalking type rifles I fired faired better than the Schützen rifles at 100 off the bench, even though they were half the weight with much lighter barrels.

Has anyone tried breech seating with a 8.15? I have a mould for a bullet without a stop ring that came with a rifle, but haven't experimented with it yet.

NRA Life, GGCA Director, OVMS Life, FDHAS Life

Mit Schützengruß,
Willi

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jul 1st, 2020 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
JägerWilhelm wrote on Jul 1st, 2020 at 8:03am:
What kind of accuracy are you guys getting? And expecting?

The rifle I'm working with is a Stiegele.  I also had a Caspar martini schuetzen that I shot with a 205 gr spitzer, breech seated.  It would regularly shoot 1" groups at 100 yds if I did my part.

Given Stiegele's reputation, I would like this gun to do something close to that.

IP Logged

4570mike
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Jul 1st, 2020 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Smoke,
I have an Anschutz Schuetzen in 8.15X46R.  Martini style action.  It has a 1:14 twist. My luck with SR bullets was not impressive so I had Accurate Molds make up on to fit the groove diameter.  It is Catalog # 31-170L.  Casting with 20:1 alloy they weigh about 180 gr.  The bullet length is 0.958" and I seat them with 0.665" extending out of the case. This jumps the long throat and the front band just "kisses" the rifling.
I've had very good performance out to 200 yards.
Mike. 

IP Logged

JägerWilhelm

ASSRA #8407

Reply #7 - Jul 1st, 2020 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Mike,
That is an interesting bullet. I recently picked up an Anschütz Martini (1928 dated barrel), but haven't fired it yet. 

Are you gentlemen shooting these at 100 with scopes or irons?

Mit Schützengruß,
Willi

IP Logged

4570mike
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 5:54am
Print Post  
JägerWilhelm wrote on Jul 1st, 2020 at 8:29pm:
Mike,
That is an interesting bullet. I recently picked up an Anschütz Martini (1928 dated barrel), but haven't fired it yet. 

Are you gentlemen shooting these at 100 with scopes or irons?

My Anschutz is from the same year of manufacture.  I'd be interested to see the features of yours.  At the present, I'm shooting the original peep sights.  I'm hoping a Soule sight I'm having made will aid in accuracy.
Mike.

IP Logged

CharleHunter
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 6:42am
Print Post  
My dad and I used to breach seat an Aydt in 8.15. It worked well enough for us to win a couple of the Ring Target shoots we have out her at the Adelaide Blackpowder and Muzzle Loading Club.

He'd the purchased a stop ring mould that has been used ever since. Not convinced it is better though.

I was getting the rifle ready to go to the range this weekend and found a box of loaded ammo that has a different stop ring projectile than the one I have been using. No one else in our club uses or shoots an 8.15 so really don't know where the other projectiles have come from.

Need to go through all of the moulds to try and locate it, plus try and find the mould that was used to breach seat.

Attached is the only pic I have of the Aydt at present

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Sorry for getting off the subject, but how, when  shooting black powder, do/did the barrel get wiped 'twixt shots with a rear sight that doesn't fold down? Seems like it would be a real pain to remove every time one wanted to schmear the goop out of his barrel. Just curious, but it came to mind when looking at the rifle above. Nice one, CharleHunter.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
I have an 8.15 stalking rifle with a .314 groove diameter.  I breech seat 308403 from a very old Ideal mould with excellent results.  Have 311403 made in the mid-1960s.  Not quite as good, but still OK.  Dimensions are slightly different.

My Aydt has .316 groove diameter.  Challenging to find a bullet to breech-seat.  I use the BACO stop-rings.  It's competitive OH at 200.

IP Logged

4570mike
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on Jul 2nd, 2020 at 10:35am:
Sorry for getting off the subject, but how, when  shooting black powder, do/did the barrel get wiped 'twixt shots with a rear sight that doesn't fold down? Seems like it would be a real pain to remove every time one wanted to schmear the goop out of his barrel. Just curious, but it came to mind when looking at the rifle above. Nice one, CharleHunter.

Mine is Nitro Proofed, so no need for BP.
The rear sights do remove easily.  The Aydt action can likely be "wiped" with the sight removed.  The Martini action needs the breach block and rear sight both removed to get a rod down the barrel.  The breach block comes out easily by removing one pin. Still, all this removal would be a PITB so it's smokeless all the way  Smiley
Mike.

IP Logged

JägerWilhelm

ASSRA #8407

Reply #13 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Mike, here is a quick view of my Anschütz. I am pretty sure it has not been fired since it left the factory. Took it all apart, and it is all matching including the sights. Not sure what I am going to do with this one yet.

Here is a mould marked "318160" that came with a nice Martini I shoot all the time. Never cast any bullets with it yet, but you folks have me thinking I should give it a try. The rifle it came with has a 17A globe sight which makes it nice to shoot. I generally get a 10-shot group off the bench at a 100 which runs 1.65"-1.75", with the usual flyer. Now I am using a .321 SR bullet, but am going to try a .316 SR. 

I had a Haenel Aydt on the market, but I might keep it as it has a globe sight on it. It performed ok at 200 scoped off the bench.

Mit Schützengruß,
Willi

IP Logged

JägerWilhelm

ASSRA #8407

Reply #14 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
I am sure you folks will know a lot more about replacing the standard German front sight than I do. Here is an old nicely engraved/ carved "System Stahl" Martini which was originally a 9.5x47R, and was converted to 8.15 in 1924. Shot it last week for the first time and I really liked it. The ball on the front sight post basically covers the entire black of a SR1 target, but I was able to do well once I zeroed it for a 6 o'clock hold.

I would like to mount a globe sight, as I think it will perform rather well. Any suggestions or ideas?

Mit Schützengruß,
Willi

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint