Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) .40-55 Ballard (Read 3343 times)
Smoke
Oldtimer

.40-55 Ballard
Jun 27th, 2020 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
Pictured is a Marlin Ballard Pacific in .40-55.  Not a well known cartridge (perhaps the only rifle ever chambered in this caliber).

Some of you who were around back in the 50s or 60s might remember Ward Koozer.  As I remember the story Ward was a partner with P. O.  Ackley before WWII.  After surviving the war he contracted polio and was confined to a wheelchair.  His wife left him, with a daughter, soon thereafter.

Being an inventive sort he built a machine for re-boring and rifling barrels and went into business in Coos Bay OR, where he resided and worked until the early-1970s when he moved to Apache Junction, AZ, which was then out in the country.  (It's now a suburb of Phoenix).  Sometime in the mid-1970s he decided to retire and take up making violins and he sold the machinery to Dick Geis in San Diego.

While Dick was in Apache Junction, learning to use the machine, he and Ward re-bored this formerly .38-55 barrel to a .401 groove diameter.

As you might suspect there is almost no taper in the case.

Ward made his own chambering reamers.  These were so crude looking that I was amazed anyone could have reamed a straight hole in a piece of 3/8" plate with one, but Ward cut absolutely beautiful chambers with them. He made a reamer and took the chamber out just enough so that you could fire form a .38-55 case in the gun and load them with a .401 caliber bullet (which I do with a .38-40 seating die).

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Re: .40-55 Ballard
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2020 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
An absolutely stunning Ballard with a great provenance.  Thanks so much for sharing both.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 12:02am
Print Post  
That is a new one on me. Excellent!

JMH

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 12:23am
Print Post  
I had a friend in Vida Oregon whose grandfather was pals with Ward Koozer who lived in Leaburg. Leaburg was the next wide spot west of Vida, which is on the Mackenzie River, I heard that Ward's wife did much of the reboring work, Ward was in a wheelchair. That was a long time ago!  Tongue

IP Logged

Dusty Texian

Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 10:57am
Print Post  
Super nice rifle and history . Really add's a lot when the rifle's history follows it . The 40-55 sounds like a good balance between powder and bore size . If I may ask barrel length and ROT ?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 11:23am
Print Post  
As a young man here in Oregon I heard the name Ward Koozer among old timers in this area. Even after he left Oregon his name came up often among those who knew him, and spoke of guns he'd worked on. But I haven't heard his name in a very long time, and never heard of the chambering he did to your Pacific?
That's a beautiful gun, and I can't help but wonder how the chamber dimensions compare to the .40-50 SS? Seems like they could be extremely close, and wonder why he didn't just make it a .40-50SS, or maybe he did?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
It's definately a .40-55.  The straight Sharps 50 is shorter and wider at the base and rim than .38-55:

.38-55
Base .421
Rim .506
Case length: 2.085

Sharps
Base .454 
Rim .554
Case length: 1.88

I've shot the gun many times, all with cases formed from .48-55 brass.  It's a lot of fun.

As for Ward's wife doing the work, I sort of doubt that she did it for long.  I knew Dick Geis fairly well and he went up to visit Ward in Oregon on at least one occassion.  Dick said that Ward's shop, which he (Ward) built himself, was constructed for someone in a wheel chair - wide doors and a low ceiling.  Dick had to crouch down to even enter the place.

Somewhere in my collection of 35mm slides I have photos of the machine.  When I run across them I'll post the photos here.  It was clearly built to be run by someone in a wheel chair.

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
Dusty Texian wrote on Jun 28th, 2020 at 10:57am:
The 40-55 sounds like a good balance between powder and bore size . If I may ask barrel length and ROT ?

It's a 28" barrel, and the twist is around 1:18.   

The gun is a lot of fun to shoot and I can keep it under a minute of deer at 100 yards over open sights.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Beautiful rifle Smoke and well taken care of over the years.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
I should probably clear up a misunderstanding I provoked.  This is not the rifle that the barrel was setup in after reboring.  The barrel work was done in the late 1970s and I have no idea what happened between then and the time I got the barrel a couple of years ago.  The wood came with the barrel, so its provenance is also unknown.

The action came out of the estate of one of my long-time shooting buddies and has been recolored.  The barrel and wood fron another friend (still alive) and gun.  Doug Knoell set the barrel into the action and fortunately did not have to do anything to the chamber to make it work.

It is a nice old gun, and it shoots well.  I only know the story on the barrel tho.

My apologies for the confusion.

IP Logged

rustyrelx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Randy Redmon apprentised with Ward Kooser. Redmon talked about him alot in the 70's

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #11 - Jun 29th, 2020 at 10:54am
Print Post  
rustyrelx wrote on Jun 28th, 2020 at 7:25pm:
Randy Redmon apprentised with Ward Kooser. Redmon talked about him alot in the 70's

Didn't know that about Randy? He always talked about he and his dad working together, and never mentioned Ward? I just talked to Randy last night via phone. I'll have to ask him next time we talk and have him tell me some stories about Ward in the early days.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint