Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Lyman Globe Sight - aperture or post? (Read 3786 times)
Retreever

Lyman Globe Sight - aperture or post?
Jun 21st, 2020 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
I posted here back in the early spring when I bought a 1871 Buffalo Classic in 45-70 - I have changed out the front Lyman Globe sight a couple of times trying different heights finally settle on the AHB model with medium aperture, I have the standard adjustable Williams Peep Sight at the back. With the Williams set as low as it will go I am getting 5 inch groups at 100 yards about 6 inches high. I am finding it difficult consistently adjust point of aim using the Lyman aperture to deal with the 6 inch high point of impact. I'm thinking I am going to switch out for one of the post options on my next visit to the range with the hope to tighten the grouping. Any thoughts or suggestions from the group?

Thanks, Retreever

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Lyman Globe Sight - aperture or post?
Reply #1 - Jun 21st, 2020 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
I suppose that first, you need a higher front sight to lower the group. Second, you need a different load. What are you shooting in it?

IP Logged

Retreever

Reply #2 - Jun 21st, 2020 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Jun 21st, 2020 at 7:36pm:
I suppose that first, you need a higher front sight to lower the group. Second, you need a different load. What are you shooting in it?

Rounds I shot today were 405g RNFP coated bullets seated on a card wad over 43.5g of Triple 7 with Winchester LRM primer. Looking to shoot longer distance (200 to 600 yards) just using the 100 yards to get a feel for the rifle

IP Logged

DocRock
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Jun 22nd, 2020 at 1:02am
Print Post  
First, try that load at 200 yards and see where you are. Second, before changing sights again, you can increase bullet weight and bring POI down, back down the charge a little farther for 100 yards. If you are still high at 200 yards and don't want to change load/bullet, you will need a taller front sight. An aperture front will make a consistent sight picture easier than a post/blade.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2020 at 10:54am
Print Post  
You'll run out of rear sight adjustment long before you get to 600 yds. I had one of those also, and about 300-350 yds. is all the Williams is good for.

A aperture front will almost always give tighter groups, depending on how the aperture fits the target. But a post works if it's not too wide. I prefer no more than .050" wide post, and .040" is my favorite as distances get further out.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 22nd, 2020 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
I read 'adjusting the point of aim to deal with the point of impact,' IOW Kentucky windage.  Don't.  Just shoot for group, doesn't matter if the POI is off. After all, you want to judge the load. Aperture sights are not suited for consistent aiming off.

IP Logged

Retreever

Reply #6 - Jun 22nd, 2020 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
DocRock wrote on Jun 22nd, 2020 at 1:02am:
First, try that load at 200 yards and see where you are. Second, before changing sights again, you can increase bullet weight and bring POI down, back down the charge a little farther for 100 yards. If you are still high at 200 yards and don't want to change load/bullet, you will need a taller front sight. An aperture front will make a consistent sight picture easier than a post/blade.

Thanks Doc, I will try these suggestions and report back my results.

IP Logged

Retreever

Reply #7 - Jun 22nd, 2020 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jun 22nd, 2020 at 10:54am:
You'll run out of rear sight adjustment long before you get to 600 yds. I had one of those also, and about 300-350 yds. is all the Williams is good for.

A aperture front will almost always give tighter groups, depending on how the aperture fits the target. But a post works if it's not too wide. I prefer no more than .050" wide post, and .040" is my favorite as distances get further out.

Thanks MarlinGuy, I have a back up plan for the rear sight - I have an 1895 Ladder Sight I can install. Will add your advice about posts and aperture to the shooting notes for my next range visit.

Retreever

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 8:34am
Print Post  
With 6" groups at 100yd you might want to slug your barrel and see if you are shooting the correct diameter bullet. The 405 is generally a good bullet out to around 3-400yd when tossed out with a MV of around 1250fps.

Also, if you can get one mounted, you will be far better off with some sort of tang sight on your tangless Buffalo Classic to 600yd. There are such things as 'spin in' pieces that screw into the wood and have a #8-24 or so thread in the center that allow for secure mounting of a tang-sight.

If the rear sight you are using at the moment is the one that came stock, then you might find a Hadley eye-cup a nice addition when you good with the limited elevation changes it offers.
« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2020 at 8:41am by SSShooter »  

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels

IP Logged

Retreever

Reply #9 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 10:44am
Print Post  
SSShooter wrote on Jun 28th, 2020 at 8:34am:
With 6" groups at 100yd you might want to slug your barrel and see if you are shooting the correct diameter bullet. The 405 is generally a good bullet out to around 3-400yd when tossed out with a MV of around 1250fps.

Also, if you can get one mounted, you will be far better off with some sort of tang sight on your tangless Buffalo Classic to 600yd. There are such things as 'spin in' pieces that screw into the wood and have a #8-24 or so thread in the center that allow for secure mounting of a tang-sight.

If the rear sight you are using at the moment is the one that came stock, then you might find a Hadley eye-cup a nice addition when you good with the limited elevation changes it offers.

Thanks, did slightly better yesterday, got the 100 yd group down to 5 inches - bullets I am currently using are .485 diameter - 405g with 60g Triple 7 (volume) will check the barrel like you suggested. I have a ladder sight I am planning to mount on the BC but want to see if I can get out to 300 yards with the peep first. I bought a 1" cup with smaller opening just recently.

Just so you know I am a complete noob at this, last time I fired a rifle before 2 months ago was 40 years ago so thanks for all the feedback much appreciated.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #10 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 11:15am
Print Post  
I bought a Buffalo Classic in .45-70 when they first came out. Sights were not very good, and I had to change the front globe to a taller globe as it shot 6" high at 100 yds., even with rear sight adjusted all the way down!
I eventually wanted to shoot it farther, and I wanted a tang sight to do that. I set the buttstock up in my mill and cut a .5" wide "slot" in top dead center of the wrist, just behind the receiver. Then I built a brass insert to fit the slot and epoxied it into the slot. Drilled and tapped it to fit a Marlin 1.125" spaced vernier tang sight, and bolted it on. 
Changing to the vernier tang sight made a huge difference in accuracy, and ability to shoot it long range. I also wanted more weight as I felt the gun was too light. So I removed the buttplate, and poured the hole in the stock full of #9 bird shot. Full enough the buttplate just fit over it, and held the shot in place. That made a big difference in felt recoil, and balance. Much nicer to shoot with the extra weight.
Eventually a buddy wanted to get into an inexpensive single shot and I sold the BC to him. He still shoots it today, and loves it.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Retreever wrote on Jun 28th, 2020 at 10:44am:
- bullets I am currently using are .485 diameter - 405g with 60g Triple 7 (volume).

Hopefully, you've transposed the last two numbers and you are shooting a 0.458" diameter bullet. If not, think we've found your problem. Wink

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels

IP Logged

Retreever

Reply #12 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
GrinSSShooter wrote on Jun 28th, 2020 at 1:57pm:
Retreever wrote on Jun 28th, 2020 at 10:44am:
- bullets I am currently using are .485 diameter - 405g with 60g Triple 7 (volume).

Hopefully, you've transposed the last two numbers and you are shooting a 0.458" diameter bullet. If not, think we've found your problem. Wink

Yes, 0.458"  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint