Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ideal 308403 for .30/40 (Read 2855 times)
Spud
Senior Forum Member

Ideal 308403 for .30/40
Jun 15th, 2020 at 7:13am
Print Post  
Hi there. I have a Hepburn Match B in .30/40 and I'd like to try something like the the Pope designed Ideal 308403 for offhand shooting. I understand this bullet was a taper design. Was it shot with fixed ammunition or breech seated?
I have no chance of finding an original mould out here in Australia so I will probably get one cut by Accurate Molds. At the moment I have a photo but no other specs. I'd be grateful if anyone who has some bullets cast from this mould could give me some dimensions relating to the bullet length & diameters for each of the bands.
Also any suggestions on loads would be very useful. Thanks.
Spud

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Ideal 308403 for .30/40
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2020 at 9:49am
Print Post  
I've shot this design on and off primarily out of the 30-06 for about 10 years. Currently I am having better luck breech seating the bullet rather than finger seating it on the end of the case. The Gun I'm using is just a bone stock Ruger number 1 and with an appropriate load it shoots "around" an inch.

If you decide you just want to finger Seated on the front of the case just make sure but it doesn't slide back in the neck .when I had that accuracy suffered so what I did to get around it was I pre crimped the case neck a little bit to get consistent seating depth..
I just had Tom at accurate take that Pope bullet and a couple of driving ban so now it is 203 grains I should have the mold at the end of the week.

« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2020 at 10:04am by Cbashooter »  

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2020 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Just check the accurate website, search the bullet, and if has a dimensional drawing for you to customize to your liking... And also read the 'net a bit re. this bullet.

IP Logged

Spud
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2020 at 8:33am
Print Post  
Thanks for those replies & info. Just what I was after. I'll have a look at those drawings based on the 308403 design on the Accurate website and see how they compare with the specs for my Hepburn's barrel & chamber (have already done a few pound casts of the throat with lead slugs).
MB...did a search as suggested and there are certainly some interesting observations & tips, thanks.
Spud

IP Logged

Barrabruce

Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2020 at 9:17am
Print Post  
The idea is to use the reverse taper of the base band to finger seat into a fired case neck and use it as  Delicate fixed ammo.
The base band is supposed to seal the free bore or lead of the rifling and the taper to match that of the rifle.

A dimensioned mould cut to your chamber cast would be about as good as it gets I think.
I have a noe clone of that mould.
It shoots better for me breachseated as I have to use a shortened 38-55 long case (2.135") reformed to fit my long 30-30 chamber.
I haven’t that many cases so shortening one to use that as fixed is  Cry near sacrilege.
A factory case is just a wee bit short for top accuracy.

If you go down this route you will have to dip or pan lube.

I will need to cast some more up soon if you would like to try some before purchasing a mold.

I have settled on 4.6 grns bulleye and a pea of Dacron for a load.
It is subsonic I think as it doesn’t crack and tracks like a 22lr out to 300 yards.
Using a steady reloading technique the barrel doesn’t get hot and you can shoot long strings if you like.
It’s my go to play bullet for the last several years as I don’t do any case prep besides scraping the primer pocket out an a rub with a rag on the neck to keep it clean.
I shoot as cast and dip lube.
I have a box of 100 cases just primed and loaded.
A other small pistol ammo case to hold the cast and dipped bullets from getting beat up and drop one down the bore and gently push home with what ever you have handy.
Load case and away you go.
No great tools or equipment needed.

Mine shoots better than the gun rack and equipment snobs sniff test would indicate.

Ohh for a rebar barrel and wire twitching to hold the fore-end and scope mount on.
Mis matched stock and fore -end. Smiley
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2020 at 9:55am by Barrabruce »  

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2020 at 11:25am
Print Post  
love the look of that hepburn Smiley  art

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 16th, 2020 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
The dimensions that Tom used for the mold on accurate is from samples of my original ideal Pope molds. I cast a bunch for a friend of mine and it shot so well he sent samples to Tom and had him base it on mine.

I have run across some later Lyman cut 308403 that did not have the reverse tapered base and I did not get them to shoot as well.noe also makes a copy of the bullet but the first band in front of the taper base is .310 which is nothing like any original I have ever measured I'm uncertain if it would work better or worse.

IP Logged

Spud
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Jun 17th, 2020 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Cbas...thanks for the additional info. Based on my barrel specs looks like Tom's copy of the original should work well.
Barra, good to see someone out here in Oz is playing around with similar gear. Will send you a PM.
Art..It's an interesting Hepburn with a 34" barrel which is strange for a .30/40 barrel. Tom Rowe reckons it was a one off, special order. 
Spud

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 18th, 2020 at 10:24am
Print Post  
I think you will be happy with the results of that bullet. I was out this morning  with my Ruger number 1 30-06 in this is for 5 shot groups breech seated. I would expect your Hepburn to shoot better than this number one.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint