Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Rimless case and shoulder set back (Read 5569 times)
Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Rimless case and shoulder set back
Jun 13th, 2020 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
I have a Ruger #1 in 30-06 shooting pretty damn well with breech seated bullets but the shoulder is slowly pushing back. Any ideas?

I noticed it after I was de priming on my Meacham tool
I thought it was crud in the neck but it was actuslly pushing forward in the chamber enough to start to basically crimp the front of the neck. This is after about 250 shots on the same case not a big deal to use Another case every two hundred shots but maybe somebody's figure something out I haven't.

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Rimless case and shoulder set back
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2020 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
I'm a little confused by the question. Is the case shoulder being pushed back which will increase the headspace or is the brass stretching so that the case neck is being crimped because the case is too long?

JS

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2020 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
I'd think just the brass overall length might need trimming, is it longer now than the starting length? The shoulder could move forward, but there doesn't seem to be any problem with chambering the brass. Maybe, the pressure isn't loaded as high as regular 30-06, but it might be running higher than traditional black powder cartridges? Just guessing.

edit to add, the description does read a little confusing, but I didn't think the neck would start to crimp if the brass got shorter. I suppose unless there was some possible way that the decapper has changed.
And, sorry if I'm completely missing the picture, is there a thinning ring in front of the web?
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2020 at 10:53pm by craigd »  

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2020 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
the case is slowly driving forward as the pressure is so low it's not driving back against the breach.

case length ok btw

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 12:16am
Print Post  
    Interesting situation.   Probably the primer explosion is pushing the case gradually deeper into the chamber.  Can't be very much or the primers would stick out to where the fired case wouldn't go into your re-and-de.  Rifle primers or pistol primers?   If you want to stop or minimize it, thereby saving your "lucky case", you could probably expand the case to .32 or so and size it back down to where it just drags a little when you close the breech.  That might fire-form it to its original configuration and may harden the neck/shoulder area of the case to where it would hold its shape.
       Failing that, maybe put a note on your club bulletin board describing the problem, and someone would give you another .30-06 case.

CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

fallingblock
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #5 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 12:41am
Print Post  
This sometimes problem with low pressure lead bullets and rimless cases. The firing pin pushes the case forward a small amount eventually you can get excessive headspace. 
Cheers,
Laurie

Cheers,
Laurie
ASSRA Secretary & Archivist

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 12:42am
Print Post  
It is interesting. I'd think the primers would back out a bit or the cases would soot over if the brass can't hold the chamber walls. If every thing seems okay, the case has probably settled on some happy medium and can likely be trimmed to the same neck fit as when it started, even though the case legth would be shorter?

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 1:10am
Print Post  
I've been breech seating the 308403 Pope bullet with good luck when previously I had not been very good luck finger seating in it in the case. Then when i decided to start finger seating  again I'd noticed at the end of the case was slightly tapered and suddenly accuracy improved. That's when I got up my Wilson headspace gauge and noticed it the shoulder had been set back 

This is similar problem I had quite a few years ago with my 35 Whelen and gas check loads. I eventually just had to bump the load up a little bit. But being that this is a plain base load I don't really have that option.

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 6:32am
Print Post  
Oil, lube, grease the case, very little, and solve the problem.

IP Logged

mes
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 9:32am
Print Post  
You can drill out the flash hole to a larger size or load fixed ammo so that the bullet holds the case back against the breech face.

To drill the flash hole use a #28 or #30 drill.
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2020 at 9:38am by mes »  

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

OLD TUCK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
A #28 Drill is .140 Diameter. Now I do not know for sure but that seems a little excessive. If it does work you would want to make sure that Brass does not ever get loaded with a standard 30-06 load with real pressure. HTH FITZ OLD TUCK Smiley

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #11 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
Sounds like the low pressure loads aren't gripping the chamber when it's fired. A common problem with high power cases when loaded down too far. And an extremely clean case might help, but might not if pressure needs to be higher to seal and grip the chamber.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 1:48pm
Print Post  

Was that case from a new, unfired lot?   
If so,I think the low pressure is the culprit. To get a more perfect case fit, go buy a new box of .30-06 in the brand you wish your cases to be. Next trip to the range shoot two of them and use one for your 'case'. Save the other fired one in your kit. The higher pressure will result in a fireformed case that pissy, wimpy and anemic loads may never reach in the strong case. When the time finally comes to replace the old one with the spare, get a replacement from the unfired cartridges' box. This should last a long time and give little chance of streaking jacket metal in the bore.

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jun 14th, 2020 at 1:17pm:
Sounds like the low pressure loads aren't gripping the chamber when it's fired. A common problem with high power cases when loaded down too far. And an extremely clean case might help, but might not if pressure needs to be higher to seal and grip the chamber.

Yes that is the case. I cleaned the case was steel wool in a rag often and I may just have to resort to once in awhile oiling it so that case forms the chamber properly.

case was a new federal factory load fired in the rifle.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
rgchristensen wrote on Jun 14th, 2020 at 12:16am:
    Interesting situation.   Probably the primer explosion is pushing the case gradually deeper into the chamber.  Can't be very much or the primers would stick out to where the fired case wouldn't go into your re-and-de.  Rifle primers or pistol primers?   If you want to stop or minimize it, thereby saving your "lucky case", you could probably expand the case to .32 or so and size it back down to where it just drags a little when you close the breech.  That might fire-form it to its original configuration and may harden the neck/shoulder area of the case to where it would hold its shape.
       Failing that, maybe put a note on your club bulletin board describing the problem, and someone would give you another .30-06 case.

CHRIS
RGChristensen

THIS ^^^ EXACTLY.   Been a known issue for generations.  Use pistol primers.  Open the flash hole up to .100".  (Do not use the modified cases for full loads.)

You can salvage a case by lubing it with case lube and firing a reduced load in it.  The case will slide back and the shoulder will be blown forward.  Done this a number of times when I was fooling around with light loads in the .35 Remington. (Until I learned about the above-mentioned workarounds.) Make sure you get all the lube out of the chamber afterwards.  

Phil

<div class=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint