Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) barrel leading with 300 MP (Read 7151 times)
cheatin_charlie
Senior Forum Member

barrel leading with 300 MP
Jun 12th, 2020 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Hello shooters I have a question I hope I can get answered here.  I always used IMR 4227 powder with my Barrnet bullet in my 32-40 breach seated.  Velocity about 1450 app.  Using paraffin Vaseline and STP for lube.   
    Never had much leading before maybe a few flakes at the end of the day.  Started using 300 MP powder with Mag primers about the same vel. range and now noticed a lot more lead in the barrel.  Cleaned barrel after 10 shots and getting streaks of lead on the patch.  Using 25 to 1 alloy like I have always used.
    Besides going back to 4227 anybody have some good suggestions?
Charlie

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: barrel leading with 300 MP
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2020 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
As you may know 300MP is all that I use and I have never had any leading issues over the years. I also haven't had much success with the same type of lube that you use. With that being said you might want to try some of this and one of the best lubes that I have used to date. It has also provided me with being able to achieve even smaller groups than prior to it's use. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2020 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
you may want to try 4227  again and see if it still leads. If it does look at what else may have changed like new batch of alloy, new mix of lube, etc. I do have to agree with John Javalina works for me. LStuff (white label) has there version of it as well, also good folks to deal with.

IP Logged

cheatin_charlie
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Jun 12th, 2020 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
First thing to change is the lube.  Ordered some Javalina from CPA and will try it out as soon as it gets here.  Will report back after using it.
Charlie

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #4 - Jun 12th, 2020 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Last two years I've been pre-lubing the bore in one of my 38-55s. Fired sixty rounds at the last match without cleaning. Not a speck of lead. Rifle leads without pre-lube. Badger barrel.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #5 - Jun 12th, 2020 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
  Are you sure it's lead? Many times people think they see lead on the patch but it's just powder fouling. Rub it around on the patch with your thumb; powder fouling with break up and leave a smudge, lead will not.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 12th, 2020 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
bnice  Could you share which of lsStuffs lube is their version of javelina lube. I have been using their Xlox 2500 plus lube with success, but am always open to trying something new, and they are good people to deal with. Thanks for a reply.  Krag

rkba2nd

IP Logged

4060may

Reply #7 - Jun 18th, 2020 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
FYI
Lubrozol quit making ALOX350, Email from white lable said he had none to sell and the Factory quit making it and were out of stock

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 18th, 2020 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
4060may   Thanks for the reply, you saved me a lot of trouble trying to find Alox 350 to approximate Javalina lube, and I appreciate it. I have used Darr lube for more years than I like to admit to, and It has always worked well enough for me and thought to try adding microcrystaline wax to up the melt temp as Darr lube gets a bit messy as the temp goes up. I have used an ice chest to keep the bullets cool until use, but a bit of a pita. LsStuff 2500 does solve the problem for me, but having more Vaseline on hand(not literally)Would like to make use of it, same goes for parafin, STP, and bees wax. Again thanks for the info.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

burntwater
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Jun 18th, 2020 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jun 12th, 2020 at 4:08pm:
Last two years I've been pre-lubing the bore in one of my 38-55s. Fired sixty rounds at the last match without cleaning. Not a speck of lead. Rifle leads without pre-lube. Badger barrel.

Can you explain more about your “ pre-lubing “ . I’m out of phase on this procedure but have heard about it several times. 

Thanks
Rick

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jun 18th, 2020 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
Rick,
I'm guessing Joe does the same as I do.  Clean the barrel as normal - but just before you shoot, coat a patch with the same lube as your bullets and run through the barrel a few times...?  A simple method I use for coating the patches, pack 50 or a 100 patches in a small rubbermaid container.  Put a Tbs or two of lube in the container and set it on the dash of your vehicle, (in the sunshine) and about an hour or two of this and the patches are well soaked in your lube. 
CC, when I started making my own lube I had issues with leading using some powders and I was using the same lube recipe as you.  I think it was somebody here told me to drop the paraffin and use bees wax instead, most of my problems vanished.  I added one more ingredient for hot weather, about a teaspoon of Walmart brand Caster oil in my mix. .  After 50 shots I rarely see more than a slight trace of lead in my cleanings.

My nickle's worth
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #11 - Jun 19th, 2020 at 1:04am
Print Post  
What GT explained. I take along a glob of lube in a zip lock bag. Rub it on a patch then run it through the barrel a few times. Then I use two or more patches on the jag to clean the lube from the chamber.  

Leading starts on the first shot from a clean bore? Could be.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

cheatin_charlie
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Jun 19th, 2020 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
Follow up on lube question.  Received Javalina Schutzen lube from CPA this week and pan lubed some bullets.  I shot 50 and friend shot 50 in his rifle.  Both were amazed at how easy it was to clean the bores and no leading.  I was shooting 300MP and he was using H4227.  Now have to order more to last my life time before it becomes unattainable.
Thanks Mr. Louis

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jun 19th, 2020 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
My best friend is the one who makes the lube and once he runs out of the Alox and it is no longer available. It's highly doubtful there will be anymore Javelina lube available to buy. I have done just what you have stated and I now have a lifetime supply for myself. 
Also extremely happy to hear it is also working for yourself.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jun 19th, 2020 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
I do the same as GT and Joe. I keep a jag with a soaked patch already to go in a small lidded can with more patches and some lube if needed. My can is one of the big cans of Shinola polish that must be fifty years old. I don't know if I can still get one when it wears out- but, it's better than Joe's baggy.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint