Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 12.7 Swede bore size and boolits (Read 3596 times)
Jack951
Participating Member

12.7 Swede bore size and boolits
Jun 10th, 2020 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
So I just slugged a 12.7 Swede and the bore measures .517 groove to groove and .476 land to land. I have several molds on hand for shooting in an 1858 Smith. They drop boolits at 515 to 520 and from 340gr to 380gr depending on design. I have one that drops at 517 and is a slightly modified 50/70 design. Is this difference between land and groove normal? Would it be ok to load the 517 modified boolit for the Swede?

Sorry but I'm a bit of a noob in BPCR reloading but I've done lots of conventional centerfire and muzzleloading.

A gentleman cannot have too much red wine, too many good books nor too much ammunition
Rudyard Kipling

N-SSA Competitor
NRA Muzzleloading Instructor

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 12.7 Swede bore size and boolits
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2020 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Suggest that you also measure diameter of bore just ahead of chamber. Most old BP 12,7X44R rifles/barrels I have loaded for had much larger bores just ahead of chamber and for 5-15 cm down the bore, thanks to erosion/rust. Front of chambers were often so rusted that they too were oversize, once rust removed. I got best groups at 100s of Meters by using very soft lead bullets slightly oversize for eroded part of bore. Usually these were 0,520 to 0,525. Most were near 0,515 in bores. These were all well used hunting rifles in Norway or Sweden.

Also smoothed the eroded/rusted area with fine grit, which always improved groups. 

These are SOP for those of us that wanted quite adequate groups from old rifles, without expense of reboring, relining, rebarreling. We bought them to shoot for lesser demanding uses than BPCR. Never heard of anyone using 12,7X44R for BPCR.

Mostly I used 350-430gr bullets -- quite adequate for "min of deer" to well over 100M and gongs to 300M. Also used some 54 cal RBs, which were fine for  "beer cans" under 100M.

SKG

IP Logged

Jack951
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2020 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
This gun has has already been rechambered to 50/70. I could see the rifling is quite deep but was surprised at how deep it is.

The bore is in very good condition. I wouldn't rate it perfect, but pretty good with no real bad spots noticed as I was putting the slug through. I generally slug a barrel by pushing the slug all the way through. Once it gets started, if the amount of effort changes, there are problems with the rifling in that area.

My initial thoughts were to use bullets sized to 515. This too large or maybe 512?

A gentleman cannot have too much red wine, too many good books nor too much ammunition
Rudyard Kipling

N-SSA Competitor

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 12th, 2020 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Have always used soft Pb-Sn alloy bullets in original BP rifles, nearly all having deep rifling. Seems a common feature for them.

For BPCR I would expect you can fairly easily get groups tight enough for 200M chickens and 300M pigs, so long as bullets bump up to fill bore, good loading technique, etc. 385M turkeys are always difficult to hit. 500 meter rams can be demanding to hit, as well as to knock over (very 1st one I hit simply moved on stand and stayed there!! Sadistic!!). Never shot 12,7X44R at longer than 300M.

Doubt that 12,7X44R vs 50-70 chamber will make any difference, so long as brass fitts well, good bullets, loading technique, etc., etc. IF I understand correctly, USA-made 50-70s also had nominal 0,515" bores. Cannot see any reason to consider modern "50 caliber" 0,512" bullets for original barrels on Swedish & Norwegian "50 calib" rifles.

Enjoy!

SKG

IP Logged

Jack951
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Jun 12th, 2020 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the reply. The bullets I'm considering using are from the same molds that I cast for my 1858 Smith. They run from 515 to 520 and one is the Lyman 515 mold that some 50/70 shooters like. One that casts at 517 is a modification of a 50/70 design that we put a much sharper nose on to move the center of gravity forward a bit. So far, my Smith doesn't like that bullet, but I'm hoping my 12.7-50/70 will. Here's a link to that bullet from NOE-

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Rudyard Kipling

N-SSA Competitor

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 13th, 2020 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
Never tried any pointed bullets in my 12,7X44R. Bullet that worked best, AFTER smoothing up bore, especially the rough first 10+cm of bore, as well as chamber, was 440gr flat point for some US Civil War rifle, 0,520" cast in 40-1 or pure Pb. It fit snugly into fire formed cases, which were crimped. Do not recall amount of 777ffg or Swiss 2F or slow burning nitro powder, or number of wads used. Velocity guesstimated at 1000-1100 fps, based on trajectory. 

SKG

IP Logged

Trailboss

Reply #6 - Jun 20th, 2020 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
I've got two 12,7. And one thing for sure you can count on is that there are no two alike in size of bore or any rifling dimensions. They are all close but in those days standardization was not like it is today. I too was not sure what to use when I got my RB's even after slugging. What I did was to get Lee's .515 dia. mold in 450 and in 500gr. I also got a Lyman Plains mold to try and I've since purchased another mold during a group buy from MP that is about .500 in dia. I've found that the secret to this and most of the BP cartridges is a very soft alloy and to rely on the slug up ability of the BP to do it's job and if you use a soft enough alloy it will do what it does best to slug it up and fill the bore. The next most important factor of the 12,7 is the case size and length. What are you using for cases? What have you decided to use for lube, a grease cookie or just groove lube? How are you going to get a consistent compression on the powder, or are you going to just compress when you insert the bullet. Are you crimping? If so, what are you applying the crimp with? A roll crimp or a taper crimp? I would start out with a bullet sized to around .510 and a alloy of 30-1 and then depending on the result on your paper target I would move up in diameter if groups are spread to see if they will tighten up as you go up in diameter, if not you can go down in dia. I have a couple of Lee sizing push through dies to play with the size to see how they shoot. I think I got a .501, .510 and I think I also have a .512 from Lyman.

IP Logged

Hiwall55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Jun 21st, 2020 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Why would anyone use a .501,510 or .512 bullet in a .515 groove diameter  rifle?

IP Logged

Jack951
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Jun 21st, 2020 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Hiwall55 wrote on Jun 21st, 2020 at 2:10pm:
Why would anyone use a .501,510 or .512 bullet in a .515 groove diameter  rifle?

I have seen some folks shooting these Swedish rifles with bullets under bore size and getting good accuracy.

After slugging my bore, I could be convinced it would work as the depth of the grooves is on the order of .030+. That's a lot of material to move. If a bullet is say .510, and bore size .515 and groove depth is .030, the top of the lands is at .485, then where would all that bullet material go as the bullet is forced into the rifling? My theory is that the vast amount of bullet material that has to move for the lands has to go somewhere and .005 more in the grooves is an easy fill to seal the bore.

Rudyard Kipling

N-SSA Competitor

IP Logged

Jack951
Participating Member

Reply #9 - Jun 21st, 2020 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Trailboss wrote on Jun 20th, 2020 at 8:28pm:
How are you going to get a consistent compression on the powder, or are you going to just compress when you insert the bullet. Are you crimping? If so, what are you applying the crimp with? A roll crimp or a taper crimp?

Powder compression will be with a compression die, then insert wad/s as needed. Bullet will be finger seated with a taper crimp. The sizing dies I use in muzzleloading should also make for a good taper crimp. Again, I'm going to be experimentiing.

Trailboss wrote on Jun 20th, 2020 at 8:28pm:
I would start out with a bullet sized to around .510 and a alloy of 30-1 and then depending on the result on your paper target I would move up in diameter if groups are spread to see if they will tighten up as you go up in diameter, if not you can go down in dia. I have a couple of Lee sizing push through dies to play with the size to see how they shoot. I think I got a .501, .510 and I think I also have a .512 from Lyman.

I think my first experiment will be with that modified 50/70 bullet sized to .512 so it will easily fit into a case. I have a range of push through sizing dies for muzzleloading and have a good source on them within our organization. They are threaded 7/8x14 so they fit a normal reloading press.

This is gonna be a fun trip.

Rudyard Kipling

N-SSA Competitor

IP Logged

Trailboss

Reply #10 - Jun 22nd, 2020 at 7:54am
Print Post  
Hiwall55 wrote on Jun 21st, 2020 at 2:10pm:

Because if you are just starting out working with a new rifle in this caliber a good place sometimes to start is with the same size bullet that the government or military arsenal used in the original cartridge design, and in this case that is: Bullet diameter      .497 inches\12.615 mm. Likely it was of an alloy soft enough to slug up. One must remember not all of these rifles has the exact same measurements, plus other owners may have had work done to their rifles by gunsmiths of long ago to modify chambers or throats that are unknown today, and also since I have other fifty cal rifles and I was going to be ordering a custom crimping die from Lee to crimp my new bullet mold from MP for my Remington 12,7 I figured I'd order a few other sizing dies to help spread the freight charges over and it would give me more options if needed in getting these two rifles tuned up.

IP Logged

Trailboss

Reply #11 - Jun 22nd, 2020 at 8:07am
Print Post  
Jack951, I didn't see where you mentioned what you are using for brass. What have you decided on? Do you have more than one type your trying out? Have you fire formed them yet, and if so with what powder/charge? What was the case mouth dimensions after fire forming? Was the outside brass sooty?

IP Logged

Jack951
Participating Member

Reply #12 - Jun 23rd, 2020 at 7:26am
Print Post  
Trailboss wrote on Jun 22nd, 2020 at 8:07am:
Jack951, I didn't see where you mentioned what you are using for brass. What have you decided on? Do you have more than one type your trying out? Have you fire formed them yet, and if so with what powder/charge? What was the case mouth dimensions after fire forming? Was the outside brass sooty?

Going to order Starline. No current intentions of muddying the waters with another type at the moment. Project is on temporary hold due to big project at work.

Rudyard Kipling

N-SSA Competitor

IP Logged

Trailboss

Reply #13 - Jun 23rd, 2020 at 7:50am
Print Post  
I guess the reason I'm asking is that you have stated that the roller has been re-chambered to a 50-70. So you are going to be using correct stamped cases, good. Be sure to anneal the mouths of the cases carefully. The cases as they come from Starline will be pretty hard so you will need to soften it up a little. If not after shooting the outside of the cases around the mouth will be sooty. Good luck. Have fun.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint