Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Can I use expander die for compression? (Read 3494 times)
Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Can I use expander die for compression?
Jun 7th, 2020 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
I am using a BACO compression plug for my 40-70 SS and it measures 0.400 in diameter.  Getting it into the case is a hit or miss but you better not try to compress the powder if you don't feel the plug slip into the case.  Don,t ask me what happens if you do!  Embarrassed  Anyway, sometimes it takes 8 or 10 tries to get it into the case.  Always looking for the easy way, I thought of using my expander die which is tapered severely on the tip to compress the powder after inserting the wad.  I measured the flat part of the tip and it is only 0.30 give or take.  Will that create a problem with the wad flexing too much and not seating square?  I am not a machinist so can't modify it too much but thought about grinding a very small taper.  What do the big boys use to compress the powder?  Thanks.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Can I use expander die for compression?
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2020 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
I've had the same problem with a compression die folding the neck over on a cartridge after I had loaded the powder. I've used the expander die but it does deform the wad a lot. Grind or file a slight taper on the expander plug. You can hold the plug in a drill press or even a hand drill to do this. I'm sure you can get it to work at much larger than .30"

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2020 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Shiloh makes .40 and .45 cal compression dies that work completely differently.  No real chance of damaging the case mouth.  They index off of the case mouth so you want to ensure that your brass is of uniform length.

I hope it's OK to post a link.  I have no affiliation with Shiloh except that I've bought some of their rifles Smiley

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Chris.

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2020 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
Chris, that's a clever idea for sure as you can see what is going on instead of trying to feel the plug entering the case.  I think I solved my problem by reverting back to my old Lyman tong tools.  I have been using one to deprime now that I am not sizing the brass very often and have one set up to deprime 30 caliber and above and another die for 22 caliber to 30.  They work slick.  I dug in the old box of 310 dies and found a seating die for a 45-70 that I will never use again and it measured 0.39 so I filed the recess for the bullet nose off and gave it a try.  Twenty times easier than the BACO die and seemed to work without damaging a thing.  So now I am using my grandfather's Ideal tools made god knows when and my Herter's turret press that my dad bought in 1960 when we retired the Ideal for 30-06 and I just used it for my 7x57.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2020 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
I use a Lee hand press for all operations except full-length sizing.  It gives you a better feel for where the die is.  I even added an arbitrary scale that can be used to see how much compression there is.   

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 9:07am
Print Post  
Yes you can use an expander die to compress the powder. Just be sure that the diameter of the expander doesn't open the case mouth to far.
The BACO expanders work well , but you do have to be sure that the case is fully pushed into the shell holder and the wad is below the case mouth. It also helps a lot if you bevel the front edge of that expander just a bit so that it's not quite as sharp.

IP Logged

KFW
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 8:48am
Print Post  
I make all my compression dies on a lathe starting with a 7/8" bolt. The die hole diameter needs to be sized for a slip fit to the case you are using, that way it self centers with the compression plug which has minimum chamfer on it. No problem with this set up even with long 40-90 cases.
kw

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jun 11th, 2020 at 7:12am
Print Post  
I make compression plugs that fit regular M die bodies.  Easy way is start with the correct size bolt then turn down the end to suit the cartridge case, A little bit of taper On the end helps inserting the die.  Does not take much.  

Lots of M bodies available here is a link. Get one that suits your cartridge O/A length and Diameter. Too big allows easy misalignment 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Often thought about buying a large internal diamater  M body & sleveing with a leade to index the case before the compression plug enters.  Never tried it .    Agree some of the loading tools you buy on line must be made by people that don't load cartridges 

Boats
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2020 at 7:21am by boats »  

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 11th, 2020 at 7:59am
Print Post  
Since it takes so many attempts to start the compression plug, I think there might be some die/shell holder setup misalignment?

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jun 11th, 2020 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
Most presses the shell holder ram fits are sloppy. Thats why taper is needed were the case enters the die. Compression plug no taper is recipe for trouble.   

Boats

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jun 11th, 2020 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Dies or parts of dies can be locked down out of true. The usual example is seeing a decapping pin noticeably off center. Sometimes, some play in the shell holder is intentional, it can help with a bit of self centering, but if there’s some sort of spring clip retainer, there may be uneven contact due to uneven pressure and the brass can sit slightly tipped. 

I don’t assume my presses are true, but if I settle on a good setup, I try to use the same press, shell holder, die rings left in place, etc., if I pull out a set of dies to use. There’s probably tons of ways to skin a cat, but I’d guess the compression plug hits the mouth of the case in a similar area. Only thoughts.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jun 11th, 2020 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Craig agree with you. Locked down tight can cause trouble. Really die should establish concentric. All the press ram and shellholder do is press. Floating not inducing something else in the process best. 

If you look at the small arbor presses bench shooters use They don’t have fixed shell holders or screwed in dies. Everything floats.

Boats

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jun 11th, 2020 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
In addition to what Craig and Boats are saying the heads on many of our cartidges aren't truly square to the mouth of the case. Getting it straight can even cause new problems. I tried and gave up while shooting bench matches. I ended up with sets of cases by buying tons of new and going through it until I got enough. Sold the culls to varmint shooters as having been weighed and trimmed. Took a while.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #13 - Jun 11th, 2020 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
I use an expander die to compress powder charges.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Jun 11th, 2020 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
I just loaded a bunch more of 40-70 SS while compressing with the tong tool and I am sold on that idea.  I might have to invest in a 40-70 seating die for it!  Tom   Smiley

Twitter  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint