Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic IMR 4227, Accurate #9 or Alliant 300-MP (Read 1886 times)
Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

IMR 4227, Accurate #9 or Alliant 300-MP
Jun 7th, 2020 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
I am in a continuing journey to try to find a good smokeless powder load in my 40-70 SS shooting a dual diameter paper patched bullet of 330 grains.  IMR 4227 burned very incomplete until I taper crimped the bullet lightly and then it cleaned up its act.  Now I want to try #9 and 300-MP to see if they shoot clean and accurate.  I am finger seating the cases (snug fit but not tight) and my cases are full length Hornady 405 so in essence I have a 405 Winchester with a 0.409 bore.  I was going to start with 20 grains of each of the other powders and work up to 25 grains.  I have loaded up to 30 grains of 4227 with no pressure signs.  Since all of these powders are fairly close in burn rate will I be ok with 25 grain loads?  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

Hiwall55
Senior Forum Member

Re: IMR 4227, Accurate #9 or Alliant 300-MP
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2020 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
My smokless loads shooting paper patch worked the best when I backed the sizer out to only size .250-.300 of the case the expand and use the seater to seat the bullet. The bullet doesn't have alot holding it and if you can push it against the  table it will move but gives enough to make it  shoot better. What kind of rifle is it?

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2020 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Hepburn with a modern barrel.  I am so new to paper patching that I just know I am going to rip the patch every time I do something!  I loaded a handful today with black and seated the push fit bullets into unsized brass and then since they are only in 0.200 I used my taper crimp die by feel to snug them up some more.  I used that same method with 4227 and that powder shot way cleaner than last week with just push seated.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

DocRock
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 12:04am
Print Post  
I am a fan of 4227 for cast loads in a range of rifle cartridges, but, as you have noted, it needs a crimp to get pressures to where it burns well and a crimp is not a good thing with paper patched bullets.

I have used IMR 3031 at mid jacketed data with 160 grs paper patched bullets and some success, but neither the Marlin 336 barrel not the H&R Handi barrels were ideal for PP bullets. I was getting jacketed velocities but I could never get accuracy down to consistent groups. I'd always have fliers. 

I also tried some aiMR3031 and paper patched 525 grs slicks in 45-70. I found loading them long, lightly lubing the paper with BP lube up to eventual seating depth and then using the lands to seat the bullet when chambering worked well, but it's a finnicky process and I am just much happier loading with Black Powder, compressing to seating depth and only taking the a light bell out of the case mouth with a taper ceimp.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint