Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Breach Seating gap. (Read 5642 times)
Dusty Rhodes

Breach Seating gap.
Jun 7th, 2020 at 5:41am
Print Post  
Hi all,
I'm looking for information on the practice of Breach seating. In particular the gap between the mouth of the Case and the Base of the bullet, and, the importance of Case length. Breach seating is not new to me, I have been shooting this way for 4 years, with several different calibers and with Smokeless and Black Powder, with some excellent results.
When I started out I was told that the Gap must be 1/16th (.062"). I have since learnt that the gap can vary considerably and with different rifles it has to change. 
If the idea of breach seating is to improve accuracy by creating the same back pressure, by pushing the cast projectile up into the Lands (rifling) and sealing the bore against gas leakage, what has the gap between case and bullet got to do with it and, if the gap is crucially important, then obviously case length must be important too. What happens with case length if the best load is not a full case of powder as in most smokeless loads, is it better to use a filler ?
I have a great book (The modern Schutzen rifle. by Schwartz and Dell) and a print off of "The Golden age of American Schutzenfest" which I re read now and again but some answers are missing.  I note that the gap was initially started by those who muzzle loaded, BPC Rifles, for no other reason (after testing) than to leave room for fouling to sit which was pushed down the barrel during muzzle loading. 
Do we need a gap when breach sesting ? Could I trim my cases longer to get more BP in them  and have no gap ? 
Let's hear what you've got gentlemen, I love the topic.  Cheers Dusty. 👍🇦🇺

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Breach Seating gap.
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2020 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Dusty Rhodes
There is nothing magic or "must be" about the 1/16 inch gab between bullet base and case mouth. It is a suggested starting point for breech seating or muzzle loading. I read of a shooter at the turn of the 20th century who seated his bullets 3/8 ahead of case mouth. As I recall his rifle was chambered for .28-30 Stevens and was a duplex load. It shot accurately enough to snag mention in a magazine article of that time.
I'm sure there is science to the effects of breech seating depth but how to do the calculations is way above my pay grade. You might consider trying some of those variations you mentioned in your post to see what produces the best accuracy? IMO, testing various loading methods is one of the great attractions of the Schuetzen game.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2020 at 11:35am
Print Post  
So many combinations of seating depth, powder type and charge, position on the front rest, stock grip and  a few dozen more keep you coming back to the range with something new to try. I recently brought 3 of my breech seaters with me set to different depths.  I have one combination that works great with one bullet, but I found that two other slightly beaver bullets liked to be seated a few thousandths deeper.  Now if I could only figure out how to control the wind!  4 flags all showing different results. 

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2020 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
Seems to me that chamber configuration plays an important role here - after all, when breechseating, one wants to  shove the bullet in so that the base is completely engraved by the lands and sealing the bore.  I'd suppose that the gap will be whatever it takes to do so in that specific rifle, unless the rifle likes otherwise of course...
But if you're worrying about air space and BP, don't.  That internet myth just keeps on going, but it only is a qualified half-truth.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2020 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
What have your targets been telling you about the depths that you have tried. Always analyze your targets…..and never stop asking them the “how”, “why”, and “what if's. I have found it to be very sound advice and that is what I also use for myself. It would also be your best approach to finding your own best seating depth.
« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2020 at 1:07pm by JLouis »  

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2020 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
RWS you made some very good points especially about the fellow who's depth was 3/8ths. I am not sure who created that 1/16th myth but it has created allot of confusion and some real poor results over time. Myself I use whatever depth it takes to engrave the bullet just beyond it's base. Having experimented with seating depths extensively over the years. This is the approach that has consistently worked out to be the best for myself. But it might not work for anyone else but it is well worth one giving it a try.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 7th, 2020 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
I shot an Aydt 8.15 x 46R with a long throat.  I had to BS it 3/8" A ahead of the case shooting smokeless.  I did not have any problems.  I shot it offhand. The radical stock was not easy to shoot from the bench for accuracy testing.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Dusty Rhodes

Reply #7 - Jun 7th, 2020 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys, I appreciate your remarks. 
I guess I was looking for something that doesn't exist. 
Wow 3/8" Is a long way, lucky it was a long barrel  Wink. My two 40/65 throats vary considerably (why I don't quite understand) but one seats nicely at .070" and the other one is .254"..... Some new cases for my recently acquired 32/40 are the reason for this Post. The rifle came with 30 Gaintwist cases ( which I think are very good quality) but their lengths varied from 2.095 - 2.135 and I couldn't get 20 cases at 2.125 which is what the Case used in the Breech seater is trimmed to. Upon fireforming some new WW Cases, I find they don't make the length either.. Ok, so back to the drawing board, for that one. I'll uniform the cases and start again. At the end of the day the length of the case in the Seater makes no difference, it's only there to line the bullet up. Correct ?  All good fun, stay safe and healthy. DR.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 7th, 2020 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
Buffalo Arms sells a 38-55 Winchester 2.245" Basic Case.  I sized some to 32-40 when I wanted to try longer cases in my Ballard.

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 4:41am
Print Post  
Dusty Rhodes wrote on Jun 7th, 2020 at 9:27pm:

Wow 3/8" Is a long way, lucky it was a long barrel  Wink. .

Those rifles have a funny chamber.  The bullet is the same diameter as the case mouth.  The tail of the bullet is small enough to go into the case. There is a name for it, but I don't recall right now.  To BS the bullet needs to get ahead of that loose spot into the rifling to be secure.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

CharleHunter
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 5:36am
Print Post  
bpjack wrote on Jun 7th, 2020 at 9:35pm:
Buffalo Arms sells a 38-55 Winchester 2.245" Basic Case.  I sized some to 32-40 when I wanted to try longer cases in my Ballard.

Jack

True  would be great to get some but exporting to Australia is the issue.You guys have so much more choice than we do out here in the Antipodes.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
I personally haven't seen any ill effects due to the case length being a bit short over the years.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
If you're breechseating, the importance of case length is considerably less.  It just is the 'powder container', with as only variable capacity difference between cases.
No issues with neck tension, brass thickness or hardness,...

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
Agree the only issue that I know of would be erosion in the neck area of the chamber if being way to overly short.

IP Logged

Barrabruce

Reply #14 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Jun 8th, 2020 at 4:41am:
Dusty Rhodes wrote on Jun 7th, 2020 at 9:27pm:

Wow 3/8" Is a long way, lucky it was a long barrel  Wink. .

Those rifles have a funny chamber.  The bullet is the same diameter as the case mouth.  The tail of the bullet is small enough to go into the case. There is a name for it, but I don't recall right now.  To BS the bullet needs to get ahead of that loose spot into the rifling to be secure.

Either a heeled or a stop ring bullet.

Dusty Rhodes. Star line has 38/55 long cases at I think 2.135"
Some times they are available for a price if that helps any.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint