Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Chronograph (Read 2773 times)
JWL

Chronograph
Jun 5th, 2020 at 6:55am
Print Post  
What do you consider a reasonable standard deviation? Running around 1450 feet per second.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Re: Chronograph
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2020 at 10:22am
Print Post  
That is going to depend on what powder you use. With Ball powders  (#9, 4100) i strive for 10 FPS.

40 Rod

IP Logged

JWL

Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2020 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
I am using MP300

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 5th, 2020 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Hard question to answer at times when it is low groups can be quite large. And at other times when it is quite high groups can be quite small. I have learned to just ignore it and to go with what my groups are telling me and to not let it crawl into my head. Or to let it try and dictate to me what it is I am trying to accomplish. That is trying to get all ten of my bullets into the same hole at 200 yards. I also feel the same about velocity it is what it is when all is said and done. That is when I will actually check it for future use or just wanting to know. It does come in handy when trying different powders and such as the bullet typically does like to be in a certain velocity range. 
JWL 300MP is also what I use.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 5th, 2020 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
ES can make a lot more difference at 500 meters and beyond than at 200 yards.

IP Logged

CharleHunter
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Jun 5th, 2020 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
Just to be cheeky, the lower the standard deviation the better. 

There will not be an ideal range for a loads SD as it will change with powder, cases, primers etc.etc, When I was shooting and competing nationally in benchrest comps I always worked loads until they shot horizontal strings then got down to trying to read the wind. Looking through an old note book I managed to find a combination that had a 3fps standard deviation. 

And for those that maybe remotely interested all my modern bench guns have Hall actions. Sure wished I bought a single shot when Allen made them.

IP Logged

JWL

Reply #6 - Jun 6th, 2020 at 7:40am
Print Post  
Thanks for your input.

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jun 6th, 2020 at 11:40am
Print Post  
My best plain base loads with fixed ammunition run single digits SD over my Oehler 35p.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 6th, 2020 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
That is an interesting question.  Most of my good loads were in the 10 range; however, I racall I had one rifle and load that  shot most accurately with a much wider spread.  Foggy memroy can't recall the rifle, it may have been a jacketed load. That really puzzled me  Undecided

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 1:10am
Print Post  
JWL,
What caliber/cartridge are you loading?  Black? Smokeless? Duplex? 
This may be more info than you are asking for but here's sharing some of my discoveries...
I've attached some data from a cartridge I experimented with  diligently recently.  I've learned a few things - velocity and accuracy can really vary depending on caliber.  The data with the 44 shown, as velocity increased all my numbers got worse, and so did accuracy.   I have a couple cartridges I'm working on right now.  One such is a 50-90, as the velocity goes up my numbers are changing slightly but accuracy is getting better.  The problem I'm having though is felt recoil is becoming intolerable - for me...   
I did quite a bit of experimenting with this 44 cartridge in a high wall and shot it for one season.  As I went up in velocity the ES and SD escalated and accuracy went down the tubes.  The data shown here had this rifle shooting fairly consistent MOA groups to 400 yards.  Beyond this the accuracy fell off and frustration escalated - just personal though.  I spent a lot of energy trying to make black work in it and to some extent it did but not so much with grease groove bullets, it likes PP, dual diameter, but the operator didn't care that much for it.  The SD with all the other propellants was usually in the mid teens.

I don't have real good data to share on the 50, but in my notes pushing the 785 gr at 1000 fps, the SD was  low and group size was 2-3 MOA.  When I had the same bullet going 1400+ the SD was in the low teens and if I focused my groups were hovering around 1 MOA.  This is my caliber choice for the season so I'll have more later...  Can't say as though I'll take the abuse to stay at the better accuracy so it may be a marginal season - but - I'm trying to make this a mile gun so to keep my sight staff height reasonable, I need the velocity, thus recoil...
My nickle's worth.
Regards,
Greg

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 42 KB | 6 Downloads )
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 45 KB | 4 Downloads )
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 45 KB | 2 Downloads )

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint