Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) I am getting better results Paper Patching (Read 3463 times)
Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

I am getting better results Paper Patching
May 31st, 2020 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
I have been dabbling with pp bullets in my 40-70 SS Hepburn and am actually starting to show some improvement.  I started out with two different diameter bullets that I was able to buy online, 0.404 and 0.408.  I have a 0.409/0.402 barrel.  Blackpowder loads shot well with the bullets but I wanted to try for a little more speed.  I shot patterns with the 0.408 bullets!  After much research and numerous emails Beltfed convinced me to try a dual diameter bullet so after casting the chamber I came up with a 330 grain design to try.  Accurate Moulds made me a single cavity aluminum mold and it arrived this week in time to cast 100 keepers.  Patching with paper from BACO was something that kept me occupied but I eventually got the hang of it.  I used 20 gr of IMR 4227 with finger seated bullets and a version of Westerner's hydraulic seater to assure that all bullets were the same and shot some nice groups today.  I also shot some grease groove 336 grain bullets that I had cast for a control.  Al bullets were 20:1.  The grease groove shot better but the paper patch is more than accurate enough for hunting.  I need to play with different powders and charges now to see if I can get up to 1600 fps or so.  The 4227 load is really dirty so I am not sure if I need to add more for a better clean or just move to another powder.  I am going to try Re 7, H4198, Buffalo Rifle, and 3031 and a higher charge of 4227 next.  I wish the range would open soon as I am shooting sitting off cross sticks at 50 yards and have to limit my shooting to 30 minutes on Sunday Mornings only.  The State of California owns the range but there are rumblings about opening up soon.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: I am getting better results Paper Patching
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2020 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
Tom, 
Probably the reason your 4227 is not burning clean
is the fact that you used fire formed cases and finger seated. There is No neck tension
Therefore little or no initial resistance such as a neck sized case and bullet seated tightly.
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - May 31st, 2020 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
Arnie, would a light taper crimp hurt the patch? Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2020 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
What diameter is your paper patched bullet?  What diameter are you patching it up to?  (Are you patching to bore size or groove size?)

Still need to try PP'ing in my .40-90 Ballard Pacific at some point ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2020 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
what controls the oal if there is no neck tension?  art

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jun 1st, 2020 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
The bullet is a dual diameter with the front patched to bore and the rear patched to groove.  The length of the larger diameter limits the seating depth on the long side as it bottoms out in the chamber.  You can seat as deep as you want but I use the bullet to seat itself the same depth each time by loading them long and then push the loaded case into the chamber with my fingers.  The brass is not sized and the bullet was designed to be a push fit, snug but not tight by any means.  When I get tired of playing with smokeless and go back to black then the charge must be carefully adjusted to allow a wad, a grease cookie and another wad with about 0.15 seating depth for hunting.  The bullet will have to sit off of the lands as there is no way to compress things further to chamber.  I am thinking that my normal duplex load with a grease cookie will allow me to shoot quite a bit without having to worry about chambering.  Tom
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2020 at 6:41pm by Bulseyetom »  
Twitter  
IP Logged

bluesman

Reply #6 - Jun 1st, 2020 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
This may or may not apply to a 40-70, but I did some experimenting with my 38-55 last week using 18 grains 4227 behind a breech seated 329 grain GG bullet....shots fired with the powder tapped back onto the primer were very dirty and showed a fair bit of vertical, as well as many case mouths dented with soot back along the case.

With the shells rolled on the shooting bench before chambering , groups were much better ( 1.25" to 2.00" ) and the burn was much cleaner as well as no case mouths buggered up.

All cases were sealed with a simple cork wad, indexed  as were the bullets.

Tried the same process with 20.5 grains 4198 and shot sub moa groups with a very clean burn with both tapped back and laid out charges.No messed up case mouths at all.The powder laid  out along the case length seems to make my old Ballard happier, just something to add to the list of things to do at the range.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jun 2nd, 2020 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
What were the results without using a wad, I found my 38-55 didn't care for a wad at all.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

DocRock
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Jun 2nd, 2020 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
I have little experience paper patching with smokeless and that all with 3031. However, I shoot a lot of PP 45-70 with Black Powder and use IMR 4227 almost exclusively for cast loads.

They aren't a good mix. Your approach to loading by seating long and pushing into the lands is probably a good one, and, in theory, should provide the initial resistance to get pressures up where 4227 is happy. As mentioned above, 4227 loads generally like a good crimp. But, a good crimp isn't great for PP bullets. 

Two things worth trying to tighten up what are good groups. Try a light taper crimp that is just enough to keep the bullet finger tight (can't be easily pulled out or pushed in), at the length where the bullet is seated into the lands. That slight additional pressure may work. 

Otherwise, try the other powders. 3031 is a treat and IMR4198 is always reliable.

Best of luck.

IP Logged

bluesman

Reply #9 - Jun 2nd, 2020 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jun 2nd, 2020 at 1:11pm:
What were the results without using a wad, I found my 38-55 didn't care for a wad at all.

Have yet to try without the cork wad, but if I can get some range time in the next week I will give it a go for science!I'm in the midst of moving into a house of sorts so things are crazy for a week or two.Been living in a trailer the last year, cannot wait for a garage!

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Jun 2nd, 2020 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Thanks Doc.  I loaded some with 4198 and 3031 to try as well as a heavier charge of 4227.  3031 has served me well in my 38-56 as has 4198.  The range is still closed so have to beg to shoot at a friends ranch on Sunday morning again.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Tom, 
Yes, You could use some taper crimp over the seated PPed bullet. 
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint