Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Bullet Damage vs. Accuracy (Read 13769 times)
texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Bullet Damage vs. Accuracy
Reply #45 - Jun 1st, 2020 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jun 1st, 2020 at 12:01pm:
I was just joking about Mann Wayne. I know you enjoy testing and I am looking forward to your results.

I figured as much but what you did do is get me to scan Mann's book again to see if I missed something when I read last, which was some time ago.  BTW, it's a "tough read" but I usually pick up something that I overlooked or forgot during previous readings.

Wayne
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2020 at 12:48pm by texasmac »  

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #46 - Jun 1st, 2020 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
Several of the those responding to this thread commented that the accuracy affects of damaged bullets is not new since the subject was covered over a century ago by Dr. Mann.  But I'm betting that many reading this have not read Dr. Mann's book and, regardless, it's always good to see the results of current experimenting on the same subject.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #47 - Jun 1st, 2020 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Totally agree Wayne and more importantly it's a way to prove it to yourself. Knowing how much enjoy researching such things I would highly recommend that you read Rifle Accuracy Facts Book by Harold R. Vaughn. It's not only easier to read and to understand it also covers other accuracy related areas that were not covered by Mann. I have been reading the online version and have been totally amazed by not only what he has to share but also how it's presented in a way that makes it easy for one to understand. In chapter 7 right now and some of it has to due with canted bullet bases and the effects and it is extremely interesting subject all of its own. 

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #48 - Jun 1st, 2020 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Jun 1st, 2020 at 12:14pm:
ssdave wrote on Jun 1st, 2020 at 10:19am:

I have never been able to discern any difference in any of the three weight lots, but have had fliers if I shot some lighter than the -4 grains.  But, weighing to the standard I have chosen gives me confidence that there's not a weird hollow in the bullet somewhere. 

What size are the bullets your are getting - 4 grs?

540's.  less than 10% go outside of +- 0.4 grains, but the maximum I keep for sighters and causal shooting are - 4 grains.  It takes several casting sessions to get a box of 50.  360's I can usually keep all within 1 grain.  .32's I can hold all but grossly defective ones to +-.5 grain 

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #49 - Jun 2nd, 2020 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
These might be a little extreme when it comes to damage to a bullet's nose but it definitely shows a problem when things a are out of balance. Cheesy Grin

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #50 - Jun 2nd, 2020 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jun 1st, 2020 at 1:23pm:
Totally agree Wayne and more importantly it's a way to prove it to yourself. Knowing how much enjoy researching such things I would highly recommend that you read Rifle Accuracy Facts Book by Harold R. Vaughn. It's not only easier to read and to understand it also covers other accuracy related areas that were not covered by Mann. I have been reading the online version and have been totally amazed by not only what he has to share but also how it's presented in a way that makes it easy for one to understand. In chapter 7 right now and some of it has to due with canted bullet bases and the effects and it is extremely interesting subject all of its own. 

Where are you accessing an online version?  I could not find any link to an online version.  I check book prices and the book is rather rare, commanding a price of $188 or more for a paper back to in excess of $700 for a hardbound copy.  I'd sure like to read it but not at the above prices.

Wayne

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #51 - Jun 2nd, 2020 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Here you go, Wayne: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #52 - Jun 2nd, 2020 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Jun 2nd, 2020 at 6:31pm:
Here you go, Wayne: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Thanks.  I downloaded it.  It looks like it's going to be a good read.

Wayne

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #53 - Jun 4th, 2020 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
After reading about the effects of a canted bullet base it brings up question I would like to ask. Not being one who shoots fixed bullets do those that do indicate the bullet and the case to be inserted into the chamber in the same way each time. Example being having the bullet and the case marked in such a way that both can be inserted at say 12:00 o'clock into the chamber.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint