Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Bullet Damage vs. Accuracy (Read 13814 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Bullet Damage vs. Accuracy
Reply #30 - May 31st, 2020 at 12:46am
Print Post  
It's easy for a wad to get loose from the bullet base prior to firing. It might easily happen before the cartridge is chambered even! But when breech seated they can still separate, and then gases can slip past leaving the wad sitting sideways like a butterfly valve in a pipe.
And in fixed ammo almost all of our old straight walled cases have some taper. So you might push a wad in the neck, and when you seat the bullet it pushes the wad down into the case, and get to a wider spot in the case neck where it no longer is held by the case walls. At that point it might turn sideways, or even drop down against the powder. Sideways wont hurt anything, but against the powder sure can.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - May 31st, 2020 at 3:28am
Print Post  
rgchristensen wrote on May 30th, 2020 at 6:26pm:
     So far, everyone seems to have missed the point made by FW Mann, that metal missing from any point in a bullet will cause a certain deflection in a certain direction.   BUT, if metal is missing from the front of a bullet, it will cause an aerodynamic deflection in the opposite direction tending to nullify the effect, whilst if the mass is missing from the rear of the bullet, the aerodynamic deflection will be in the SAME direction, re-inforcing the effect.  This was all understood a century ago......
       Maybe "aerodynamic" is not quite the right term here -- maybe "gyroscopic/aerodynamic" would be closer.  However, referring to "The Bullets Flight"  will make it clear.

CHRIS

Thanks, Chris.  I'm glad to see that somebody remembered.

IP Logged

colo native
Oldtimer

Reply #32 - May 31st, 2020 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Years ago I had a mould for a pb bullet that required a zinc washer to be placed on a nub on the end of the bullet, it wiped the barrel and protected the base of the pill...
worked like a champ----

IP Logged

CW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #33 - May 31st, 2020 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Forty plus years ago I had a great deal of experience shooting damaged and flawed bullets.
Since then I became a much better caster. Grin Grin Grin

Back on track -
Not often but sometimes I have saved and loaded my cull match bullets (BPCR-match bullets) on the theory I would like to use them to get more trigger time and practice shouldering the rifle prone.

To my surprise, I would leave the line shaking my head after shooting some of the best groups at 300 meters, 385 m and 500m!  Tight little knots would often show up on the steel silhouette targets or round steel load work up targets.

I think that often, the noise in the air between muzzle and target at these longer ranges trumps any flaws in the bullets. Master class riflemen can read the conditions. 
It is not luck the same few people that win most of the matches. Cool
I do only shoot perfect bases as I have proven to myself that everything that is said about the base flaws on a bullet is true. The rest of the match destined cast bullets are culled for flaws still, but I doubt I am putting many points on the scoreboard by doing that.

-CW

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - May 31st, 2020 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
CW wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 12:44pm:

I do only shoot perfect bases as I have proven to myself that everything that is said about the base flaws on a bullet is true. The rest of the match destined cast bullets are culled for flaws still, but I doubt I am putting many points on the scoreboard by doing that.
-CW

Hey there Michael,

My sentiments exactly.  I've always sorted by weight & wondered how much if any difference it makes, hence the reason I'm planning on running an experiment to determine how much of a bullet weight change alone is necessary to affect accuracy.

BTW, are you planning on attending the Raton International match in August?  I expect more to sign up since the NRA Nationals at Ridgeway were canceled.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - May 31st, 2020 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
I have never been able to tell any difference between my match grade and my culls. All that tells me is my standards are too high and my casting techniques are satisfactory. 

I have never purposefully damaged any bullets to see if it affected them.

One of our top shooters used an electric Lee ladle to cast LR bullets.  He put a few wheel weights in and left it while he worked around his shop.  When he thought about it, he would fish the clips out of the ladle and pour 3 or 4 bullets in a cold mold.  He added a few wheel weights to the ladle and went about his business while they melted.  I was in shock!  Shocked  He won lots of our matches with those bullets.  Grin

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - May 31st, 2020 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
What type of matches BobZ was it only LR shooting steel plates or gongs or was it paper and was he using BP or Smokeless. I am not familiar on how the LR matches are actually run.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - May 31st, 2020 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
I thought this was all done and dusted years ago.
I used be into competitive air rifle shooting and remember Walther or it might have been Anschutz doing the same sort of test's over forty years ago and the conclusion was that a nick on the skirt of a pellet wasn't good but the same on the nose didn't affect accuracy.

IP Logged

CW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #38 - May 31st, 2020 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
Hey there Michael,

BTW, are you planning on attending the Raton International match in August?  I expect more to sign up since the NRA Nationals at Ridgeway were canceled.

Wayne[/size] [/quote]
Yes - if I can and the center is open. Hopefully it will be by then. As of now it is closed with no word of when it might resume the event calendar.

As far as cast bullets go, I stopped weighing them. I can't find the difference on the target between a perfect visual bullet and a weight sorted bullet. I used to do both for my match bullets and during that time, won both national and international championship matches in 1000y Creedmoor events. 
Now I just give them a visual inspection and dropped the weighing. The accuracy is the same.   
Interestingly enough, weight spread on a run of 75 to 125 count of 550 grain bullets mostly runs less than 1.2 grains. When I was weight sorting, I often would line them up on my filefolder with 0.1 grain lines drawn to create a visual record of the total session. As I weighed each one, a bell curve of sorts would appear with the heavy right end abruptly ending. My thoughts on the right side cut off is - you can only put in so much lead in a cavity and then it is full.      

All for now - dinner time.

IP Logged

CW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #39 - May 31st, 2020 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 9:06pm:
Well one could only hope that Wayne's testing would be as extensive as Dr. Mann's.

How many years did Mann take to compile his test?
Roll Eyes Shocked

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Jun 1st, 2020 at 12:49am
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 9:06pm:
Well one could only hope that Wayne's testing would be as extensive as Dr. Mann's.

Most likely not.  My experimenting will be to convince me if weighing bullets results in an advantage &, if it does, at what percentage of the mean bullet weight does it start to be a factor.

BTW, as far as I know Dr. Mann did not perform any tests of bullet weight vs. accuracy.  If he did I'd sure like someone to point out on what pages in his book he discussed the tests and results.

Wayne

« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2020 at 1:18am by texasmac »  

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Jun 1st, 2020 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Wayne, my unscientific testing of bullet weights has led me to this procedure:

I lay out my bullets in sequences as I cast.  I weigh them all, and make a bell curve of sorts on a large piece of paper on the bench, by putting them in groups that are 0.2 grains apart in weight.  Normally they make an almost perfect bell curve, with a slight bump in too light from the ones at the beginning of the casting run.  

I create a "match A" lot out of those that fall within +_0.2 grains of the peak.  I create a "match B" lot from those that fall more than +_0.2  grains but less than 0.4 grains outside of the peak.  I cast about 130 bullets at a time, and generally get two 50 bullet lots out of that, one match A and one match B.  Often I have to fill out the Match B from the Match A.  

The remaining bullets are culled if they show obvious defects or vary - 4 grains from the mean.  All the heavies are kept, they never go more than 2 grains heavy.  The +2 -4 grain bullets from all the casting lots are mixed into sighters and practice lots, without any consideration for sorting.

I have never been able to discern any difference in any of the three weight lots, but have had fliers if I shot some lighter than the -4 grains.  But, weighing to the standard I have chosen gives me confidence that there's not a weird hollow in the bullet somewhere. 
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2020 at 4:32pm by ssdave »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #42 - Jun 1st, 2020 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
I was just joking about Mann Wayne. I know you enjoy testing and I am looking forward to your results.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - Jun 1st, 2020 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 3:12pm:
What type of matches BobZ was it only LR shooting steel plates or gongs or was it paper and was he using BP or Smokeless. I am not familiar on how the LR matches are actually run.

WE shot 2 day 90 - 100 shot matches from 200 to 800 yards at Tacoma, Douglas Ridge and Chilliwack BC 4 times a year.  All on high power targets.  Tacoma used standard NRA, DR used 5V.  Canadian used their HP target.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Jun 1st, 2020 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
ssdave wrote on Jun 1st, 2020 at 10:19am:

I have never been able to discern any difference in any of the three weight lots, but have had fliers if I shot some lighter than the -4 grains.  But, weighing to the standard I have chosen gives me confidence that there's not a weird hollow in the bullet somewhere. 

What size are the bullets your are getting - 4 grs?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint