Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Bullet Damage vs. Accuracy (Read 13776 times)
texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Bullet Damage vs. Accuracy
May 29th, 2020 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
This is not news to many of you that have heard that nose damage is not critical to bullet accuracy but any damage to the base, especially around the perimeter of the base can have a significant negative effect.  Below is a link to a recent article that certainly proves the effects of bullet damage concerning high velocity jacketed bullets.  The same results apply to lower velocity cast bullets, which is the reason some reloaders choose to use a nose-pour mould.  But a good base-pour mould, snug sprue plate and good casting techniques will result in nice bullets with uniform undamaged bases.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

Dusty Rhodes

Re: Bullet Damage vs. Accuracy
Reply #1 - May 29th, 2020 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
Some interesting targets there Wayne. 
I often use 'pulled' bullets as barrel warmers and yes they can be quite accurate. 👍🇦🇺

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 29th, 2020 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
Doesn't quite reflect my own 27 years of compeitive experience.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Mick B
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 29th, 2020 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
Just a small point, but when shooting cast lead bullets a wad of some material is usually placed under the bullet when loading.
Gas exiting around the wad on firing only "see's" the edges of the wad, not the base of the bullet. No doubt any serious defect in the base may possibly effect the bullets flight, but not its exit from the barrel, methinks. Anyway, what bullet caster keeps bullets with a visible flaw in the base, which would be obvious, the second you swung the sprue plate open ?, not J Louis I bet. 
Just my 2c worth,
Mike.

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - May 29th, 2020 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
I am hoping that someone has done a test as to what level of minor defects a bullet can have without affecting accuracy. In the last few years I have had problems casting good bullets for some reason, ( zinc contamination I suspect) and I have been forced to shoot a lot of bullets which I would have previously rejected, out of sheer necessity. I have shot some pretty darn good groups with some of those bullets. I agree with the concept of shooting the best bullets you can possibly cast, but I think there is evidence that some minor defects  might not have a noticeable effect on accuracy. I know it sounds heretical, but there might actually be some truth to it. I have not done any scientific testing, which would require more time than I have available right now.
Joe S

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 29th, 2020 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
I didn't see a target with the bullets pointed in the right direction for comparison  Undecided  Guess they shot so bad it was embarrassing, so he published the backwards target?   Shocked

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - May 30th, 2020 at 12:00am
Print Post  
Mick B wrote on May 29th, 2020 at 9:52pm:
Just a small point, but when shooting cast lead bullets a wad of some material is usually placed under the bullet when loading.
Gas exiting around the wad on firing only "see's" the edges of the wad, not the base of the bullet. No doubt any serious defect in the base may possibly effect the bullets flight, but not its exit from the barrel, methinks. Anyway, what bullet caster keeps bullets with a visible flaw in the base, which would be obvious, the second you swung the sprue plate open ?, not J Louis I bet. 
Just my 2c worth,
Mike.

Mike,

Excellent point about the wad possibly eliminating the effects of a damage base.  I've heard that some cast bullet shooters do not use a wad at all.  In that case they should rethink their loading technique.  It was a long time ago but I have shot cast bullets without wads and without gas checks in .357mag and .445mag and noted base gas cutting damage.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - May 30th, 2020 at 12:02am
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on May 29th, 2020 at 10:58pm:
I didn't see a target with the bullets pointed in the right direction for comparison  Undecided  Guess they shot so bad it was embarrassing, so he published the backwards target?   Shocked

There are 5 targets displayed in the article.  They are small and a little hard to see but the shot pattern if visible.  Possibly you missed them.

Wayne

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 30th, 2020 at 1:07am
Print Post  
texasmac wrote on May 30th, 2020 at 12:02am:

There are 5 targets displayed in the article.  They are small and a little hard to see but the shot pattern if visible.  Possibly you missed them.

Wayne

I saw all 5.  They each have a note about their defect.  No normal target displayed.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - May 30th, 2020 at 9:07am
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on May 30th, 2020 at 1:07am:
texasmac wrote on May 30th, 2020 at 12:02am:

Wayne

I saw all 5.  They each have a note about their defect.  No normal target displayed.

Now I understand.  You're looking for a target shot with undamaged bullets.
Wayne

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - May 30th, 2020 at 9:55am
Print Post  
That’s an interesting experiment and I am all for people putting theories to the test, but......

If he had lowered the velocity, shot further placed a second target spaced a foot behind the first one, he might draw different conclusions. And because I’m kind of a jackass about these things, he should have the confidence not to repeat the test with nose damaged bullets and shoot with a suppressor attached allowing him to also check stability at the muzzle. There is a big difference between risking a sideways hole in paper and a $1000 baffle strike.

I have tested well into the hundreds of different bullets at sub and trans-sonic velocities and speed covers a lot of of issues. Slow moving bullets, spinning close to the low end of the stability factor show defects sooner than bullets over 2000 fps.

One last poke at the test would be a false sense of security. The Nosler partition is probably one of the toughest jacketed bullets on the market. I think that doing the same test with a thin jacketed varmint style bullet he would have had a few that never made it to the target because they would have come apart in flight.

I absolutely agree that the base generally will show problems sooner or more dramatically than the tip, but that does not mean it’s not there. Otherwise the BC/drop in the test would not have changed. 

The bullets with material removed gained muzzle velocity, lost BC. That is a sign of unstable flight robbing energy faster. While the bullets with displaced material retained the muzzle velocity, but lost flight efficiency.

It’s also worth noting that the bullet with the notch cut in the rear, retained the highest BC. Velocity at impact would be an interesting piece of data to also have.

Interesting to see someone actually put a so called myth to the test, I just hope it does need install a lot of misplaced confidence.

IP Logged

desert-dude
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - May 30th, 2020 at 9:57am
Print Post  
controls (normal) should be a significant portion of any study. Otherwise you have no baseline.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #12 - May 30th, 2020 at 11:41am
Print Post  
texasmac wrote on May 30th, 2020 at 12:00am:

Mike,

Excellent point about the wad possibly eliminating the effects of a damage base.  I've heard that some cast bullet shooters do not use a wad at all.  In that case they should rethink their loading technique.  It was a long time ago but I have shot cast bullets without wads and without gas checks in .357mag and .445mag and noted base gas cutting damage.

Wayne
[/size]

I believe Mike's statement might be directed at BP cast bullet shooting, since most who shoot smokeless cast loads do not use wads. Wads can create some dangerous situations when used with smokeless powders, so they normally aren't used. I sure wouldn't ever use a wad with smokeless powder.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - May 30th, 2020 at 11:54am
Print Post  
In my 38-55 with smokeless and plain base bullets I use a wad under the bullet as a gas check. It proved more accurate with it.

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - May 30th, 2020 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on May 30th, 2020 at 11:41am:
texasmac wrote on May 30th, 2020 at 12:00am:

Mike,
Wayne

[/size]

I believe Mike's statement might be directed at BP cast bullet shooting, since most who shoot smokeless cast loads do not use wads. Wads can create some dangerous situations when used with smokeless powders, so they normally aren't used. I sure wouldn't ever use a wad with smokeless powder.

marlinguy,

Can you further explain why a hard fiber or poly wad between smokeless powder and the bullet might create a dangerous condition?

Wayne

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint