Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Long cases and breech seting, for BP. (Read 5887 times)
gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Long cases and breech seting, for BP.
Reply #15 - May 29th, 2020 at 10:21am
Print Post  
I wouldn't give up on breech seating for BP although I'd do what boats suggests with respect to charging the cases at home.   I've had good results when breech seating a .38-55 with Schuetzen (Wano) powder.  It's not as good as Swiss for long range shooting due to the much lower energy, but it works quite well at schuetzen distances.

If I were you I'd do some reading about a formerly famous guy named John D. Kelly who did some very excellent shooting with the .38-72 in the old days.   

Chris.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - May 29th, 2020 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
Research on JohnDKelly as Chris pointed should be very helpful. Pope considered him the Dean of Benchrest and his groups are quite amazing even for these times. You can find some of those groups along with the load data in The Story Of Pope's Barrels by Ray M Smith. And more about who he was and his accomplishments in The Breech Loading Single Shot Match Rifle by Roberts and Waters.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Dusty Rhodes

Reply #17 - May 29th, 2020 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Our Gong shoots are no time limit, it's basically Shutzen style at the same gong, 20 odd competitors, 12 shots.  Plenty of time to prepare. Off hand at paper target is the 13 shots, half hour time limit. Hopefully I'll get the seated bullet to work fine. Sat morning and it's blowing hard here, not ideal for testing. Supposed to get wet later. Never mind, I can wait. 
Thanks for the info Chris and JL, I'll look him up.👍
I see Charles every Sat Mick, good blok👍,
Allan hasn't shot for years. But he does go over to the rendezvous.  Cheers all 🇦🇺🇦🇺
« Last Edit: May 29th, 2020 at 6:25pm by Dusty Rhodes »  

IP Logged

CharleHunter
Senior Forum Member

Reply #18 - May 30th, 2020 at 3:46am
Print Post  
Mick B wrote on May 29th, 2020 at 10:05am:
Dusty
If I were you I would go with what boats said, fixed ammunition, and save the all the hassle of breech seating, especially if the comps you are shooting in have a time limit.
If you know Charles Toohey or Alan Vaisham pass on my regards if you see them.
Mike.

Mike I was at the re-opened range with Charles today and have been shooting with him for several decades. Haven't seen Alan for many years though but he use to do a lot of work for my old dad

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - May 30th, 2020 at 5:03am
Print Post  
MY Stevens-Pope is a muzzle loader.  I found the muzzle loading is was more accurate than breech seating for BP.  Smokeless was more accurate BS.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - May 30th, 2020 at 6:20am
Print Post  
Step back and look at the process Breech Seating simpler Few steps compared to time spent preparing brass. Difference is you prepare fixed cartridges before the match or range session. 

Breech or not really depends on the situation. 2 or 3 day match fired targets turned in as shot breech is a good method. Squadded relays range shared with other disciplines fixed is best. Either method can produce good results on paper.   

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint