Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Alloyed bullets weigh less than mold configuratio. (Read 3053 times)
Jimsan
Participating Member

Alloyed bullets weigh less than mold configuratio.
May 24th, 2020 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
I recently bought 400 Grn Snover hand cast 20-1 alloy bullets. They weigh less than 400 grains and weigh anywhere from 391.5 to 395.6 grains. I want more consistant weights and I don't cast, siae or lube bullets. Any suggestions. Thank you in advance.  Jim

Jimsan

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Alloyed bullets weigh less than mold configuratio.
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2020 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Buffalo arms used to sell 20-1 swaged grease grooves bullets that should be very weight consistent and round. Not sure if they still offer these bullets. It's been quite sometime since I have been on their site or thumbed through their catalog where I actually found them being offered in the past.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Jimsan
Participating Member

Reply #2 - May 24th, 2020 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
JLouis....these are BACO bullets. I have been shooting my new ShilohSharps at 50 yards and I'm down to a 3/4" group and plan to move out to 100 yards when it stops raining. With a spread of 3 grains or so I wonder how tight a group I can get at 100yards. After 100 yards I can shoot at 200 that is the longest distance at our range in Sandpoint, Idaho. Certainly consistant bullet weights would give me a good chance for nice groups. Consistent powder weight isn't a problem...……..Jim

Jimsan

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 24th, 2020 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
Your 100 yard groups should prove to be very rewarding as should your 200 yard group be as well. Wishing you the very best and hoping all goes well beyond being extremely well.

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 24th, 2020 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
Jimsan,
your spread of 4 grains is only about 1 percent of the median weight of 394.5 gr.  or restated at only + - 1/2 percent variation from the median weight.
  As John said, you should have good shooting with those bullets. 
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #5 - May 25th, 2020 at 9:43am
Print Post  
John
When casting yourself you should be able to keep your bullets whiten 1/2 a grain. Commercial bullets are cast for quantity not quality. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - May 25th, 2020 at 10:16am
Print Post  
If the bullets are well filled out they should shoot very well to past 200.   if you want better bullets there aren't any options I know of other than casting them yourself.   

Chris.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - May 25th, 2020 at 11:00am
Print Post  
If you're at the mercy of a commercial caster to buy bullets you're pretty much stuck with their parameters, and lessor quality than you'd get casting your own.
But as mentioned above 1% wont affect accuracy enough for most shooters. It is a wider spread than I accept in my casting, and sorting, but I still shoot bullets within that spread. I simply sort mine so I'm shooting them within a set parameter. So I might have a group that are 391-393 grs., and another group that's 394-396 grs.
If you sort those bullets and weigh them you might try shooting groups that have tighter tolerances, and that should tell you if it's a waste of time, and just shoot them as is.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Jimsan
Participating Member

Reply #8 - May 25th, 2020 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Thank you everyone. My bullet weight list shows that I can easily do two one-grain batches of 393-394 and one of 394-395. Shooting them will tell me quite a lot. Perhaps I won't see either group showing a marked difference at 100 yards. Next time out I'll be using cross sticks and sand bags raising the rifle so that I can get my shoulder full on to the recoil pad. Thanks again.  Jimsan

Jimsan

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #9 - May 25th, 2020 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
  If you're shooting off crossed sticks, those bullets are plenty good.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - May 25th, 2020 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
That is excellent advice coming from Jeff and what you don't want to do is to have anything negative crawling into your head. If you had to put ten shots clearly into the 1 1/2 ASSRA 25 ring at 200 yards to be competitive it would probably be more of a concern. Of course that all depends on what ever sport you might be competing in or just possibly  going out for the enjoyment of it all. We all like to shoot small groups so please don't take that wrong. There is a tremendous amount of enjoyment in just simply trying to improve and whatever ever your own personal goals or needs might be I truly do wish you the best.

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - May 25th, 2020 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
I often bring my "culls" to the range as barrel warmers or sighters. It's surprising that  sometimes i see  no difference between them and my "perfect" bullets.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - May 25th, 2020 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
Myself I don't keep any culls they go right back into the pot when my casting session is complete. I have found over time it wasn't a good thing for me to do. I have a need to know where every bullet will go including any sighters and or fouling shots.

IP Logged

4570mike
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - May 25th, 2020 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Jim,
Several years ago, I purchased cast and lubed bullets from a vendor called Big Sky Cast Bullets.  He was in MT.  They were not cheap, but I found them fairly consistent in weight and they shot very good out to 500 yards.
Mike.

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - May 25th, 2020 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
If you do not want to get into casting your only option is to sort your bullets by weight as stated above. In my experience, I have never been able to buy a bullet  that is half as good as what I can cast on my worst day. However, with a digital scale, *(which are quite inexpensive now) ,weighing and sorting bullets by weight can be done quite quickly and should get you where you want to go. I hope it works out!
Joe S
P.S. With the  high price of store bought cast bullets, you can get into bullet casting and cut your costs considerably over the long run, and get better bullets, but that's your call.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint