Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Just ran out of alloy:-( (Read 6816 times)
Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Just ran out of alloy:-(
Reply #15 - May 15th, 2020 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
Salvaged scrap will most likely have variations. 

If you can find a flashing maker, he will most likely have consistent scrap from his manufacturing process.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - May 15th, 2020 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Well, without stealing Oneatatime's thread too much I heard some pretty good discussion concerning how precise the mixes are, or perhaps may need to be. Sure, a lifetime or so of tests may show the degree of tolerance that the silver puddle has to remain in while shooting very well. 
The koalas are doing well- though not as cute as kittys, and cornbread sounds good for dinner tonight. 
All that is left for me to do is to compliment Oneatatime on his nice, shiny melting pot. Carry on gents.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - May 15th, 2020 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
I have been buying either used or trimmings of roof flashing from a local scrap yard for $1 per pound.  The used stuff is messy to clean up.  I did 200 lbs last month.  If I can wait, the guy who is in charge of the lead at the yard will put aside clean trimmings for me.  It takes a month or so to get 200 lbs but it is worth the six-pack of beer I slip him. I have had no problem with consistency or accuracy with my 20-1 mix.

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #18 - May 15th, 2020 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
"It's going to change a bit anyway as you continue to loose tin while using what is being cast out of just a single pot full." JL

That is complete nonsense and absolutely not true!

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - May 15th, 2020 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
I believe I read a study (not about bullets) that said something like in a lead-tin alloy with about 3% tin that is at 350 C (about 660 F) that some tin would be attracted out of solution onto the lead oxides formed (the dross). Obviously we are losing a lot more lead in the dross than we are tin so my guess would be that the percentage of tin in the alloy is actually increasing but only on a microscopic scale. So cast 'em quick and shoot 'em faster and all is good. Note - this has absolutely nothing to do with tin being less dense than lead because this is an alloy, not a mixture!

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - May 15th, 2020 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
One of the best jobs I ever had was a healthcare clinic. It had 4 X-ray rooms.  I told the sheet-rocker I would take care of all of his hazmat scrap when he was sheet rocking them. The job had a fire.  Everything that smoke touched had to be removed.  I could not handle all the lead lined shoot rock they demoed plus the next round of scrap.  Cheesy

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #21 - May 15th, 2020 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
About 25+ years ago when I first got serious about this stuff, I had access to lead flashing from my Dad who had then recently retired from a commercial roofing company and got some pure tin and known 50-50 from a couple of sources.  I read in Roberts and Waters that 25-1 was a good starting point, so that became my standard... it worked well, so why change?

At the time, I could only mix a maximum of 20 lb of alloy at a time, so I would put a half pound of tin with 12 1/2 pounds of lead and run most of it out into ingots, then repeat the process until I had 75-100 pounds of ingots.  Then I would mix the ingots from the various batches to cancel out any small variations between them.  I always felt that was good enough.  YMMV.

Froggie

IP Logged

squibshot

Reply #22 - May 16th, 2020 at 9:03am
Print Post  
On the subject of lead flashing. Better stay away from the new stuff.   I think it comes from abroad and is made from scrap itself. A piece of vintage flashing from a 100 year old roof is flexible and almost like rubber. Much of the new stuff is brittle and if flexed back and forth will crack.  In New England there is an abundance of old houses continually needing roof or chimney repairs.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - May 16th, 2020 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
That is a good point.  Nearly everything has lost any form quality control.  With arsenic contamination in heart meds, it is not reasonable to expect pure lead in flashings these days, eh?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - May 16th, 2020 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
I have proven it to myself along with Barry Darr and it surely isn't worth arguing over by any means.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - May 17th, 2020 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
This is why I never pass up a yard sale. Last fall I picked up 130.5 lbs of hospital grade lead, 42 lbs of linotype, and 4 1/2 lbs of Cerrosafe for 50 bucks. You never know what you might find.

JS

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint