Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Brass wall thickness info needed (Read 7058 times)
cubcadet70

Brass wall thickness info needed
May 8th, 2020 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
I’m looking for information on brass wall thickness on the following brass. 

30/30 
32 special 
25/35 

I’m forming some 219 zipper imp brass. I’m currently using 30/30 Winchester brass. But the wall thickness seems to be the problem due to the reloading book states I’m well bellow the recommended  neck diameter causing it to have lot of soot on the neck. I’m looking for some thicker wall brass to solve my problems and hopefully tighten the groups up. 

Thanks.

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Re: Brass wall thickness info needed
Reply #1 - May 8th, 2020 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
What is the diameter with a bullet loaded?  How are you measuring it?  This is really a job for a micrometer and not a caliper.  I have all three cases and will measure tomorrow and post.  Also, have you annealed the neck?  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - May 8th, 2020 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
Yes, I'd use pin gauges inside the neck, and then a micrometer for outside. Then just take the difference and divide by half to get an accurate wall thickness.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 9th, 2020 at 12:42am
Print Post  
A tubing mike is the easiest way to measure wall thickness if you have one, or as Marlinguy suggested using pin gages, but a set of good pin gages are more expensive than a tubing mike that will measure to tenths, and has many uses as in case forming, and neck turning etc.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 9th, 2020 at 12:42am
Print Post  
How did you get the neck diameter below recommended? Is your die taking it down that much?

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 9th, 2020 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
In forming quite a few wildcats based on the 30-30 and 30-40 Krag case, I have usually had the opposite problem and had to turn the necks down. Much of course depends on the portion of the brass from which the neck is formed, the shorter the case of the intended cartridge the thicker the brass. Bulseyetom's suggestion to measure(with a micrometer)the OD of the neck with the intended bullet seated is the surest way to know where you stand. Individual brands of brass can have different wall thickness, and this will sort that out. all part of the thrill of wildcat cartridges. Let us know how things pan out, as I am certainly curious.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - May 9th, 2020 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
The wall thickness on my new unfired Hornady 25-35 brass is 0.010 and I hope that is helpful. I also checked more than just one case and it's all real consistent around the entire diameter. The neck diameter on my chambering reamer is also 2825 if that might also be of some help.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - May 9th, 2020 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Cub, are you sure it is not a chamber problem?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 9th, 2020 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
If you feel the sizing die is reforming the 219 neck down a bit to much and the bullets are a bit harder than normal to seat. You can also easily make a new button to up size the necks a bit. Threads on the button are typically 8-32. Use your existing button of which already allows for the spring back to guage how much larger in size you might want to go up if that approach might be able to work for you.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - May 9th, 2020 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
I measured with a tube micrometer (remember I am not a machinist and these are subject to error) and got the following:
25/35 Winchester  0.0108
25/35 Hornady      0.0104
30/30 Nosler         0.0102
32/40 Winchester  0.0103
32 WS Winchester 0.0091

I measured over the loaded case on 25/35 with a jacketed bullet and got 0.2797 at the pressure ring.  This was with Winchester brass.   

Is the neck sooty just when fireforming or after several firings?  A fan shaped soot mark is desirable. Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

cubcadet70

Reply #10 - May 9th, 2020 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the reply and thoughts and questions. 

Wildcatting certainly my favorite thing to do.

My neck with the bullet seated is .249” OD with a micrometer. 

PO Ackley book states .2535” neck for 219 Zipper improved. 

As far as my loads. Even hot and mild loads there still spot around the neck.   

I don’t have a tube mic. That’s why I asked if anyone knew the brass wall thickness that’s been down the same path before. 

I have dedicated forming dies for my cartridge. I don’t anneal them since I don’t have much to fire form. 

With all this that’s why I was suspecting my neck is little too small. 

GR Douglas chambered and barreled the rifle. I’m sure it can’t be a chamber problem although I never did a cast. I should pin gauge the neck in the chamber see what the ID is. I don’t have a set at the moment tho. 

Thanks! 

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - May 9th, 2020 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
Something doesn't add up. .2535 - .224 = .0295/2 = .01475 and that's not allowing for any neck tension. so you would have to find brass with a neck thickness of nearly .015 and from Tom's measurements you won't even find .011.

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - May 9th, 2020 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
From 4d Reamers, their neck diameter is 0.250 for a Wasp.  0.250-0.224 for the bullets is 0.0260.  That divided by 2 is 0.0130.  The average thickness of most of the brass is somewhere around 0.010 which leaves 0.003 clearance.  That would seem ideal for most rifles unless you wanted a tight neck.  Not knowing what rifle you have and what loads you are shooting, my first thought is to change powders or up the charge to get a tad more pressure.  What does the fired brass measure over the neck?  It will spring back slightly from the chamber dimension and it would be interesting to see how it differs from the 0.250 that a 4d Reamer would give.  Tom

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Twitter  
IP Logged

cubcadet70

Reply #13 - May 9th, 2020 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
I just had a brain fart. Is it possible that the book is for .228” Bullet? Because I recall the savage 219 hi point shot .228” bullets. Then the .253” neck measurements would make sense. I doubt my gun shoots .228. I’ve been shooting .224” and groups pretty decent.

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - May 9th, 2020 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
I was asleep at the switch and was thinking you had a 219 Donaldson Wasp.  The reamer for a 219 Zipper and the Zipper Improved show 0.253.  I would guess that the original zipper had a loose chamber for use in the lever action rifles and the zipper improved needed to stay at the same diameter so as to not need to set the barrel back.  I had some 219 Zipper brass but gave it away to somebody here when I decommissioned my 219 Improved and made it into a 30/40 Krag.   Just for the giggles measure a fired brass and let us know what it is.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint