Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Scraper Grooves on Black Powder Bullets (Read 11031 times)
JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Scraper Grooves on Black Powder Bullets
May 7th, 2020 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
Do any of you know if it's ever been proven that a scraper groove helps clean out the fouling from the previous shot? It sounds logical but does it really work?

JS

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Scraper Grooves on Black Powder Bullets
Reply #1 - May 7th, 2020 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
If the thing keeps shooting without any additional buildup, my mind tells me it must be working.

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 7th, 2020 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on May 7th, 2020 at 4:02pm:
If the thing keeps shooting without any additional buildup, my mind tells me it must be working.

I should have added that I'm going to order a BP bullet mold and am wondering if I should add a scraper groove.
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2020 at 8:00pm by JS47 »  

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 7th, 2020 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
Ah! In that case, I'm going to have to pass. I'm not the man to ask about bullet design. I don't shoot any of that Beep powder anyway.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 7th, 2020 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Is it by chance a wiper band that you might be referring too? Never heard or have I seen a scraper band so just a bit curious.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 7th, 2020 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on May 7th, 2020 at 9:21pm:
Is it by chance a wiper band that you might be referring too? Never heard or have I seen a scraper band so just a bit curious.

It's a groove just ahead of the front band. The front edge of the band is the back edge of the groove. Hopefully I'm describing it so that you can visualize it. The theory is that the groove provides a place for the fouling to be deposited as it is scraped off the bore by the front band. I suppose the band I'm describing is the wiper band you refer to. I've seen at least one old Lyman mold with the feature. My question is: while it seems like a good idea, has it ever been proven to be of any benefit and should I incorporate it in a new mold design? I'm a little doubtful myself.

JS
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2020 at 9:59pm by JS47 »  

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - May 8th, 2020 at 1:51am
Print Post  
I once ordered such a bullet, and came to the conclusion that it doesn't do much if anything. After all, on most bullets, the front band is also a bit of a scraper. 
Better to use it as an additional lube groove, better with BP.  OTOH, I do believe a bore-dia. lube groove is much more useful as in 'prelubing' the bore for the groove-diameter section.

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - May 8th, 2020 at 10:44am
Print Post  
i think an over powder wad serves as a bore scraper.   art

IP Logged

Flatlander
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - May 8th, 2020 at 11:44am
Print Post  
I believe the once popular NEI 349C had a scraper groove. Shot very well. Don't know if it would be as good without it.
Flatlander

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - May 8th, 2020 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
I only shoot BP in guns designed for BP. At least a few 10s-of-thousands of rounds, few hundred matches and many fellow competitors................... and I've never heard of anyone of them casting and shooting a bullet with a 'scraper groove'. However, never say never. If you do end up shooting one, let us know the results.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

OLD TUCK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - May 8th, 2020 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
When I first got into shooting and casting the older folks I came to know called them "Dirt Catcher Grooves" Seemed to make sense to me so I never questioned the Title. Still do when I think about it. I have never had any noticable effect from them that I could detect. If the bullet shape and diameter was correct and they were cast well with good loads they shot good. FITZ. OLD TUCK Smiley

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - May 8th, 2020 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
I'm pretty sure that Paul Matthews wrote about scraper bands in one of his many books on black powder shooting.  I'm, not going to re-read them all now so I can't tell you which book or what he thought of them.  I also read about them once in one of Steve Garbe's "Center Shot" articles.

I've never tried a bullet with them as it seems like a weird idea to me.

Chris.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - May 8th, 2020 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
mostly, they just look like the nose on something like the Keith designed pistol bullets. Just a shelf to plow the way along the barrel, catching crud as it went along. I've known about them for a long time= probably some of us have evens shot them without knowing they were there. I can't tell they ever helped any, but I wasn't looking either. I general, I'd just go along with Fitz, he's got it right. 
I believe some of the old Ideal bullets had scrapers on them but once they made the transition into the smokless age the need to call them that went away with the nasty buildup.

IP Logged

nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - May 9th, 2020 at 3:01am
Print Post  
I have one of Walts 349C molds but never shot it much. With the current trend of wipeing between shots, its kind of a mute idea. That being stated, if your lube is doing a good job then yes I can see where the scraper/catcher grove would or could offer a bit of an advantage. If nothing else it might prevent the bullet from riding over the fouling in the barrel and pressing it down tight. 
Not real sure how  you would tell if it actually was working or not unless you had 2 identical molds made up, one with and one without the grove. Then fire a long string to see when the accuracy started to drop off. 
Sam

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - May 9th, 2020 at 4:40am
Print Post  
In my case, filling the scraper groove wih lube (manually, as it wouldn't stay on when pan-lubing) helped accuracy, this with a GG bullet in a 577-450 military Martini, blowtubing between shots.  And using soft lead as a scraper material, when you think about it, doesn't really seem a good idea...
If the front band rides over the fouling, why should it be different with a groove in front?
Enough effective lube works much better in my experience, so, I'll prefer the space for an extra lube groove every time.
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2020 at 5:09am by MartiniBelgian »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint