Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic HiWall Schuetzen Rifle (Read 2170 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

HiWall Schuetzen Rifle
May 5th, 2020 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
When was the last year these were still being sold. I remember them still being shown in the Winchester line in the Gun Digests back in the 60's and possibly 70's as well.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

OLD TUCK
Senior Forum Member

Re: HiWall Schuetzen Rifle
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2020 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
John I have been under the impression that the M1885 was discontinued around 1928. Not sure where I got that information. But I do know that they sold the complete inventory of 1885 parts around 1953 to Sedgley I think was the name.
I have one in .22 Hornet and it is built on what appears to be a Winder Musket
barrel. I do have to go look it over to check the name. HTH Regards, FITZ
OLD TUCK. Huh

John went down and dug it out. It sure looks like a Winder Musket barrel with the integral front sight base on the barrel. It has no Winchester Roll stamp on the Barrel, but the barrel shape looks different in that area so may have been polished out.  It is marked  P F SEDGLEY  INC. PHILA PA USA   
  And back in front of the receiver is stamped  CAL 22 WCF 
                                                            with   HORNET    underneath  and a circle with "S" in the middle. The lower tang has had the Serial number polished 
out. So has NO serial Number but the Patent date is there. Means that I will need to slug the Bore as the WCF had a .228 Groove diameter it is said.
I also have a Lowall Deluxe in 22 WCF and have been planning in only shooting it with cast bullets as finding .228 Jacketed has become very rare. I suspect that if you did a search on P F SEDGLEY  you might find information on when he bought 
the 1885 inventory from Winchester because he was building Hi Walls for quite a few years. HTH Fitz OLD TUCK. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2020 at 3:01pm by OLD TUCK »  

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2020 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
OT a bit, but when did Sedgeley die?

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 6th, 2020 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Sedgley died in 1938. Some of the workers kept the factory going through World War II and did some contract work for the government. After that it closed because there was little call for new firearms. Sedgley bought about 200 1885 Winchester receivers in 1932 and finished most of them in 22 LR and Hornets.
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2020 at 2:04pm by Old-Win »  

IP Logged

OLD TUCK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - May 6th, 2020 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
OK I stand corrected. My information?? led me to believe Sedgley bought the inventory of Winchester 1885 parts around 1953. Seems likely that is incorrect if 
he died in 1938. Sorry if I led some folks astray. I do know there is a small group of people that have made collecting Sedgley Rifles a priority. The one I have is a handsome looking rifle but I still believe the Barrel is a Winder musket barrel. Any how the mystery is now made right. FITZ, OLD TUCK Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint