Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic How do you remove sight stem on MVA (Read 2126 times)
Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

How do you remove sight stem on MVA
Apr 27th, 2020 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
I have a MVA LR Soulle sight and bought the knurled screw to make taking the stem off of the base easier.  Now I am not a magician so how in the world do you line everything up when you go to reinstall the stem?  I was told to push down firmly but what position should the stem be in when you go to push down?  If I loosen the base screws everything is easy but with the base on I can only get things lined up about one try out of twenty.  There must be a trade secret somewhere.   Undecided  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: How do you remove sight stem on MVA
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2020 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
If I understand your issue, straight up and down should work.   Those Soule knobs get in the way making it a bit more difficult than plain stems.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2020 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
I hope to tell you they make it more difficult!  Undecided

Twitter  
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2020 at 12:04am
Print Post  
I had many years experience on the plain Jane models before Soule became popular and readily available.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2020 at 12:09am
Print Post  
The staff needs to be in the upright position so the detent spring is in the notch, lessening the pressure. It's still not an easy task, and that's why most guys don't switch them among rifles, and just buy another complete sight instead. 
I used to have several MVA bases and one sight. But got more staffs from MVA when the switching got old.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

singleshotsam
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Apr 28th, 2020 at 7:20am
Print Post  
Tom,
Loosen both base mounting screws a couple of turns. This allows the spring under the base to relax removing most of the spring tension on the staff. Then install the sight staff and screw, finally re-tighten the base screws. Loosening the base screws makes the job much easier, not much tension when done this way.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Apr 28th, 2020 at 7:31am
Print Post  
singleshotsam wrote on Apr 28th, 2020 at 7:20am:
Tom,
Loosen both base mounting screws a couple of turns. This allows the spring under the base to relax removing most of the spring tension on the staff. Then install the sight staff and screw, finally re-tighten the base screws. Loosening the base screws makes the job much easier, not much tension when done this way.

+1. This is what I do with my MVA sight. Either use the soft Loktite or keep the screws liberally oiled so they are easier to deal with. The problem, of course, is that the shaft must re-aligned to the up-right position if the spring shifts while the screws are losse. 
Or, get a Hoke sight, which I find considerably easier (though still not what I would call 'easy') to deal with.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint