Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Breech Seater (Read 21081 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Breech Seater
Reply #75 - May 1st, 2020 at 10:08am
Print Post  
I was referring to Smokeless powder. I personally haven't seen anyone breech seating and using BP in a match.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #76 - May 1st, 2020 at 10:22am
Print Post  
When breech seating with Black powder I just fill the case to the top and add a thin card wad.   There will be a small gap but it doesn't seem to cause any harm.  I use gaps up to 1/8" and have never had any problems.  I have played with using felt wads to fill the gap but they do not seem to be necessary.  For further info on this stuff I'd recommend getting Randolph Wright's latest book on Schuetzen shooting.  It's quite good and in addition to doing a great job teaching us some history, it describes how he reproduced original black powder and Black powder/duplex loads.

Chris.

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #77 - May 1st, 2020 at 10:41am
Print Post  
Mick B wrote on Apr 30th, 2020 at 11:00pm:
Just a question.
My BS load in my 40-65 is a case near full (  65gr Wano 2F ) and a floral 1/4"floral foam plug in the case mouth to stop the powder spilling out. From all I have read it would seem that a wad under the bullet is a good idea to stop damage the the bullets base during ignition, so with my BS loads I put a thin card wad in the breech seater when seating the bullet to protect the base.
I notice when reading others loading procedures that some use no wad at all, yet achieve excellent accuracy. My question is, perhaps I'm wasting my time with the wad under the bullet if it's not really required.
Mike.

I think it depends on the combination of powder, pressure and bullet hardness.

I have played with both smokeless and black powders with and without wads with bullets whose length is on the lower edge of stability for twist. Often the addition of a wad takes the keyholing out of the target. That to me says base deformation is prevented using the wad in certain applications.

With smokeless there is such a wide range of pressures along with powder shape, size and burn rates, it's easy to create the problem.

Just my observations.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #78 - May 1st, 2020 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on May 1st, 2020 at 10:08am:
I was referring to Smokeless powder. I personally haven't seen anyone breech seating and using BP in a match.

I have done it, but it is really  PIA not worth the effort, IMO.  Do you have any  BP matches at your events?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #79 - May 1st, 2020 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Black powder benchrest events were at one time extremely popular. We only have a 100 and 200 yard line so our range is not well suited for the various other BP rifle events. We did have one fellow who came out and shot fixed BP in our Schuetzen matches. Don't recall how well he did but he really enjoyed himself and we him.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #80 - May 1st, 2020 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
TRR and Springfield, OR always had BP in coinjunction with schützen, both BR and offhand at 200 yds.  Only .22 RF was at 100 yds.  Several people BS BP, most shot fixed and occasionally there was a Pope ML style cartridge rifle. 

I did all 3 in BP and various times, but ML and BS were a bit messy, so I normally brought a fixed ammo rifle for BP.  I hate waiting for cease fire to retireve the false muzzle to continue  Roll Eyes, especially when it goes down range on the first or 2nd shot.  Embarrassed  BS or fixed is a lot more efficient use of time  Cheesy

I may have risked being removed from Springfield flyer list, not sure  Undecided  I wasn't paying much attention to the score board. When I won all three aggs; CF, RF and BP at the prize giving, I was a bit shocked.  Shocked  I don't recall what my BP rifle was, probably my .40-65 Ballard with fixed.  .45-100 RKS barrel would shoot better scores, but too much recoil for BR could spoil offhand in the 100 shot.  Pope Ballard .33 BS for CF and BSA with fixed for RF..  Frank was the only BS RF guy I ever remember seeing.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Mick B
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #81 - May 1st, 2020 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Meanwhile, back to my original question, are wads really necessary with black powder loads or a waste of time ?.
Mike.
PS  Sorry if I'm getting a bit grouchy in  my old age.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #82 - May 2nd, 2020 at 12:13am
Print Post  
U R forgiven  Cheesy  I always got better results with wads in BP loads.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #83 - May 2nd, 2020 at 6:02am
Print Post  
Mick B wrote on May 1st, 2020 at 10:20pm:
Meanwhile, back to my original question, are wads really necessary with black powder loads or a waste of time ?.
Mike.
PS  Sorry if I'm getting a bit grouchy in  my old age.

My 38-55 is now shooting excellent with wads. Yes, wads make a difference.

Last year at this time I was using wads but it shot like crap. No, wads don't make a difference.

Did that help? Grouchier? 

Your question cannot be answered. 

How does your rifle perform with and without wads?

That question can be answered.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #84 - May 2nd, 2020 at 6:05am
Print Post  
mr.card1 wrote on Apr 24th, 2020 at 2:04pm:
Anyone have a breech seater for a CPA rifle? Is there someone still with us that can make one? Maybe a picture of one,,,,,,,,,,Thanks

Hey! That was the original question!  

What happened to mr.card1 ??

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #85 - May 2nd, 2020 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
He is still around Joe I sent him a PM and found out he has a seater and needed to know what it took to remove and replace the case with something else. Turns out we knew each other we both shot at the CBA National Event at Springfield Oregon back in 2006 he the unlimited class and myself the plainbase.

IP Logged

GWarden
Senior Forum Member

Reply #86 - May 3rd, 2020 at 8:31am
Print Post  
Breech seating for BP and the necessity of a wad. Depending on the BP being used, a wad is essential for powder compression; which will show up in accuracy. As little as .010 difference in compression shows up on group size. In my 3/240, using Swiss 1 /12 F I use .075 compression. I tried different compression rates from .050 to .120. At .075 my groups showed that gave the best accuracy. BP and breech seating is time consuming but rewarding. In a discussion in the past one person said that with BP they did not believe one could shoot groups under 1". Now, it doesn't happen every day, but I have seen five, five shot groups that the agg. for 100yd was under .8" Have a great day.
Bob
Iowa

Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #87 - May 3rd, 2020 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
GWarden wrote on May 3rd, 2020 at 8:31am:
Breech seating for BP and the necessity of a wad. Depending on the BP being used, a wad is essential for powder compression; which will show up in accuracy. As little as .010 difference in compression shows up on group size. In my 3/240, using Swiss 1 /12 F I use .075 compression. I tried different compression rates from .050 to .120. At .075 my groups showed that gave the best accuracy. BP and breech seating is time consuming but rewarding. In a discussion in the past one person said that with BP they did not believe one could shoot groups under 1". Now, it doesn't happen every day, but I have seen five, five shot groups that the agg. for 100yd was under .8" Have a great day.
Bob
Iowa

Did you use filler to fill and  maintain compression between the case and BS bullet? 

BP can be very accurate for sure.  My .45-100 shot lots of 10 shot groups slightly over 2" at 200.  I did not have any reason to shoot 100 yards or 5 shot groups as all matches were 10 shots and 200 yards abeyond.  There is no doubt in my mind it could shoot 5 shots under an inch at 100. 

IP Logged

mr.card1
Participating Member

Reply #88 - May 14th, 2020 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
A good friend of mine made this seater for my CPA 32-20. Never did find anyone on this ASSRA forum that built seaters for CPA rifles. Nice to have good buddies who can make things.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #89 - May 15th, 2020 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
Nice job. We will all be copying Russ Weber's design, but don't think anyone will improve it.
We should probably send Pat royalty payments.
Chuck

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 
Send TopicPrint