Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Breech Seater (Read 21071 times)
GWarden
Senior Forum Member

Re: Breech Seater
Reply #15 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 9:15am
Print Post  
Oneatatime
Would you have some pics of your adjustable plugged case you made, sounds very interesting. Thanks
Bob
Iowa

Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #16 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Apr 25th, 2020 at 7:46pm:
The CPA plugged case is to be used in conjunction with their breech seating chambering reamer design. It is not a universal plugged case that was designed to be used in all of the other various chambering reamer designs.

I doubt this statement has any validity. I'd be willing to bet the CPA 32-40 case plugged case is a standard case with a brass dowel in it. Most likely fits all standard 32-40 chambers. This is what CPA indicates in their advertisement.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
variant=30184633417

Accurate information is good information. 

"These cases can be used to seat a tapered bullet ahead of the chamber in a barrel with a tapered throat.  Length is .060" longer than the standard case.  Suitable for CPA, Stevens and Ballard rifles. For Winchester rifles and others without a strong camming action by the breech block you will need a mechanical seater."

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
The CPA seaters are simply a a piece of solid brass cut to normal case dimension +.060”.

The bullet needs to be started in the chamber before the seater can be used as there is no way to keep the bullet attached to the seater.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
How well it may or may not work is dependent on the amount of freebore the chambering reamer has ground into it. One example being my 28-30 has .220 thousands of freebore. If trying to use a plugged case with the minimal amount of my CPA's forward caming action the amount of bullet engraving would minimal or possibly not having any at all. When I bought my CPA back in 1998 I started out using a plugged case and the chamber had the proper freebore for it's use. If it were chambered for fixed ammunition instead of for breech seating. The additional amount of freebore required for fixed would then not allow the proper seating depth / amount of bullet engraving to be achieved if trying to use a plugged case. CPA chambers their rifles based on the rifles specific use or one might say in a very special way for a lack of a better term.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #19 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
That's true John but not all chambering reamers have a integral throater. CPA and home made plugged seaters will work excellent in most rifles. 

Hard oversize bullets, no.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
It's only what a $6.00 item from CPA if one cannot make up their own. It's not allot of out of pocket money and well worth the cost to give one a try. The one I had worked well enough for just shooting competitive offhand matches. But just not so for achieving the very best in competitive benchrest accuracy. For one the case was not fire formed, two there was no way to consistently seat the bullet central to the bore and three it wasn't capable of engraving the bullet enough. I am aware of throater's I have one for a 25 and the only reason I have it was someone forgot to add a throat to the reamer that was used to cut a friend's rifle. It corrected that error and it also added an error to what could have been a perfectly cut chamber prior to it's use.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #21 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
How do you explain all the perfect scores shot using plugged case?

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #22 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Apr 26th, 2020 at 5:33pm:
How do you explain all the perfect scores shot using plugged case?

Well, they're just good shooters!   

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
I could only imagine how many more could have been and we're not. Do you happen to have an accurate count on how many were shoot, by whom and what they were using at the time at 200yds. In all honesty over the past twenty seven years I have not witnessed a single one being shot in a match. And I have been extremely fortunate to have be able to compete with the best from all across this country. They were either using a Weber, or a Neil Rice seater at the time. Along with very few home brewed push type seaters. I never say anyone using a plugged case that I can recall. Other than a very few who were new to the sport and were waiting for a Weber or a Rice to arrive.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Plugged case is all that will fit in my .33 Stevens-Pope.  The bullet base diameter is the same as the outside diameter of the case.  Plugged case seater  is not a limiting factor. The 5 inch offhand prongs  on the butt stock and the required 1 year drying time for 250 grade  lube keep me on my toes on match day  Huh

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #25 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
John, you do not get around so you have been limited. 

Yes I know how many I've shot and witnessed Ole Chuck shooting several and watched Schuetzenmeister AKA Bob, shoot a perfect 250 with his Stevens Pope rifle at Springfield OR. Was like watching leaf cutter ants. His last shot clipped the last remaining strand and the center fell out of the twenty five ring. 

Only time one needs a compounding breech seater is when seating hard or oversize bullets. They do the same thing.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
My plugged case is on a mechanical lever that pushes off the site base. When I got that rifle I wondered what have I got myself into?  Embarrassed

I called Busk Emmert.  He and Dorothy were famous for shooting Popes.  He said I would not be able to load it without mechanical advantage.  My previous .32-40 was throated so bullets pushed right in easily.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
BobZ that is what I made and used for my 33-47 Bresien while I was waiting for my Weber seater to arrive. 
Joe you don't a clue who I have competed with over the past twenty seven years or about my own personal accomplishments during that time. So are you saying Chuck and Bob are the only ones who have shot a 200 yard 250 in a match using a plugged case. You made it sound as if there were several so just how many, by whom and what were they shooting at the time. For some reason you have avoided answering those questions is there a reason to why? 
I don't doubt it has been done as Jeff pointed out there are those who are more than capable but they are few and far between.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
GWarden, here's my adjustable plugged case. Using the KISS principle a found a scrap nickle plated brass rod that was a good fit in the neck of one of my fired 32-40 cases. I drilled and tapped one end for a machine screw. The screw end was slipped in the case with the screw resting on the empty primer pocket and the rod was cut to leave about .060 protruding with the screw turned in quite a bit and the corners were rounded off slightly. I can vary the seating depth by simply turning the screw in or out. I put a blob of clay on the screw to give tension to the setting. Since the case is not primed there is little chance of trying to fire it and a small screwdriver slipped in the hole will push the rod out if it decides to get sticky. This worked out so well and was so easy that I am making one for my 38-50. This one will use a 3/8 inch aluminum rod in the case. Both my 32 and 38 bullets are tapered Pope style Hochs and seat very easily. My barrels are chambered for fixed bullets.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #29 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Apr 26th, 2020 at 7:21pm:
BobZ that is what I made and used for my 33-47 Bresien while I was waiting for my Weber seater to arrive. 
Joe you don't a clue who I have competed with over the past twenty seven years or about my own personal accomplishments during that time. So are you saying Chuck and Bob are the only ones who have shot a 200 yard 250 in a match using a plugged case. You made it sound as if there were several so just how many, by whom and what were they shooting at the time. For some reason you have avoided answering those questions is there a reason to why? 
I don't doubt it has been done as Jeff pointed out there are those who are more than capable but they are few and far between. 

No I don't keep track of who shot what. There may be more I cannot remember.

We all know a lot about John Louise and his accomplishments through his own pen here on the forum. 

You've done very well John but so have others. I won your regional using a borrowed plug seater twenty years ago. 

You really should get out to other matches. 

I made my point about plug seaters and I only challenged you for the sake of accurate information. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Send TopicPrint