Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Winchester Low Wall - Scope and mounts? (Read 2983 times)
RubEric
Participating Member

Winchester Low Wall - Scope and mounts?
Apr 23rd, 2020 at 11:43am
Print Post  
What scope and mount do you have on your low wall?   Are you satisfied or would you prefer something else??

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Winchester Low Wall - Scope and mounts?
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2020 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Caliber? Use?

IP Logged

John Rigby

Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2020 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Wwinchester A-5 and it is a 25-20 SS.

John Rigby

IP Logged

CajunRebel
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2020 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
C.Sharps M1885 22LR LW and .22H HW with, respectively, Lyman 10x Junior Targetspot and 15x Super TS, both with vernier tang sights.  Had MVA B5 5x but didn't care for it. Won't mount internal adjustment scopes on '85s.  Otherwise, would buy bolt-action.
« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2020 at 10:47am by CajunRebel »  

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Apr 23rd, 2020 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
1885 Low Wall in .22 WCF with a Unertl small game scope (8X) that I found for it a couple of years ago.  Looks just right and works well out to 100 yards!  (With my old eyes ...)

Smiley

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

1isenough

Reply #5 - Apr 24th, 2020 at 10:55am
Print Post  
OK, here is a more DIY/sporter approach.  Definitely not for collectors.  I have a Winder low wall and wanted more cartridge options.  All of the Winder parts were saved and the rifle can be restored to original.

I got three take-off barrels on Ebay for around $60 each, and one had a perch belly forestock attached (great bonus!).  One was 22LR, so I re-chambered it to Mashburn Bee.  The other two I lined and chambered for 32-20 and 25-20.  I am drilling a barrel now to chamber in 357 Max, and the barrel will be stamped for 30K pressure max.  I wanted an inexpensive scope mount system that would make barrel exchange easy.  I used Monstrom 10/22 Ruger rails ($10 each) that I conformed to the barrel contour using Devcon 10110 Steel Putty, then tapped for 3 screws and mounted.  The scope bases are removable - used release compound on the barrel.  I selected a Sniper Cantilever scope ring combo for the scope mount.  The cantilever lets you have decent eye relief and chamber access (I first successfully used this mount on my Martini Cadet sporters).  Any 3-9 variable scope works well for 100 yard shooting, which is my sweet spot.  All three shoot 1-2" groups at 100 yards, and the Mashburn is sub-MOA in one load.  Still working on load development so maybe some improvements in the future.  As the pics show, it is a work in progress.  I still need to sand and paint the bases, and blue the ovals I ground to stamp the new cartridge/caliber. 

I hope the pics are OK - my first try attaching a image

Hope this is useful.

IP Logged

1isenough

Reply #6 - Apr 24th, 2020 at 11:02am
Print Post  
I forgot to mention - the block is a new high wall centerfire block from Montana Valley Arms.  Pretty easy fit - just required two holes to be drilled for the coil spring arms.

IP Logged

1isenough

Reply #7 - Apr 24th, 2020 at 11:09am
Print Post  
OK, last correction/addition.  I meant 357 Mag, not Max.  I am working on a similar project for a sporterized high wall that I recently acquired for a good price.  I got heavier liners for the high wall, and they will be chambered for 32-40 and 357 max.  Sorry I got them confused.  72 year old brain gets fuzzy sometimes, especially when it has not been to the range in over a month.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Apr 24th, 2020 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Used an MVA 23" scope and found it too heavy for my tastes shooting off-hand. I and one of the folks I shoot with have gone to the MVA B5 scope and both (unlike Cajun Rebel) think it is a great scope. To each their own. Glass in the MVA is terrific and we like the fine crosshairs with the centerless mil-dot reticle.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels

IP Logged

S99VG
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Apr 25th, 2020 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
I just did jump into the world of Low Walls with a "new to me" 1885 22 long rifle.  It came with a set of Leupold bases but no rings.  I dug out a set of old Redfield rings.  The rings are the type that are squared off at the wings and bottoms and they look just fine to me on the Leupold bases.  I intend on mounting a Redfield 3200 24X scope I've had kicking around for years - just as soon as I get it sent off to someone to repair the cross hairs.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Hope you have something else to use while your scope is being repaired. Like so many trades that take 'old school' training these days, optics repair is pretty much a "lost art" unless you have a Leupold or other high-end scope that the manufacturer stands behind. Getting an older scope (even a Leupold) repaired will likely put you in a line that could easily be several months long. Good luck.

Also, when you state Win 1885, did you get a 'real' Winchester or a Winroku? Much different animals.
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2020 at 8:33am by SSShooter »  

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint