Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Early #2 Remington Rolling Block - 44 Centerfire (Read 9878 times)
ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Early #2 Remington Rolling Block - 44 Centerfire
Reply #15 - May 1st, 2020 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
I just got back from the range  Smiley

I was able to collect more chronograph data. I was particularly interested in seeing what the 3F Old Eynsford would do. This Old E load is very close to the original 44 rimfire cartridge. All these were loaded with a 40-1 Lyman 427098 bullet with the last band turned down to a .412" heel. They weigh 208gr. Shortened .41 Magnum brass was used.

6.0gr Unique, CCI LP primer = avg 973fps

12.5gr by weight Blackhorn 209, CCI LPM primer = avg 847fps. This was disappointing. I expected better.

22.0gr by weight Old Eynsford 3F. CCI LP primer =  avg 1092fps.

I should note that I dont yet have the collet crimp die from Bernie Rowles. It should be here early next week. 

Accuracy has been very good. The Old E load sounded very nice. It's not quite at the 44-40 level. But it's quite respectable. But I think with careful drop tubing and compression I can get one more grain in. 

In case you can't tell, I'm really enjoying this rifle  Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2020 at 8:36pm by ndnchf »  

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - May 1st, 2020 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Don't you just love it when it all starts to come together! I just finished loading the next 100 test rounds for my 44-40 XL made from 444 Marlin Brass. Whee!

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - May 1st, 2020 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
Yes indeed. It is very satisfying bringing these fine old rifles back to shooting condition. I really enjoy the challenge Smiley

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - May 3rd, 2020 at 10:16am
Print Post  
I loaded another batch, this time squeezing in one more grain of Old Eynsford 3F, 23.0gr.  I drop tubed and  compressed it .075". Then dipped them in the old time factory heel bullet lube I made up. Hoping to crest 1100 fps with this load  Cheesy

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - May 3rd, 2020 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Beautiful! Does it come in chocolate?

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - May 3rd, 2020 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on May 3rd, 2020 at 12:00pm:
Beautiful! Does it come in chocolate?

Too late! I just made another, bigger batch in mint green  Grin  Probably more than I'll ever use. If anybody wants some, let me know.

IP Logged

ballardhepburnmich
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #21 - May 3rd, 2020 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
I have really enjoyed your project, I have been working on a couple of projects one of them is a Ballard in .46 Ballard extra long that was converted probably over a hundred years ago. Keep up the good work. 
Lee Gibbs Pres.ASSRA

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - May 4th, 2020 at 6:46am
Print Post  
Thanks Lee, I appreciate the vote of confidence  Smiley

I should mention that I received the heel bullet collet crimp die from Bernie Rowles on Saturday. While it is adjustable for length, I gave him my case length and he pre-set it - it worked perfectly.  The above photo shows the bullet firmly crimped in place.

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - May 7th, 2020 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Back at the range today. This time my loads were crimped with Bernie's collet crimper. The 22gr load of Old E 3F was about 30fps faster with the crimp, averaging 1120fps. The 6.0gr of Unique load gained over 50fps with the crimp - 1031fps. 

Going from 22gr to 23gr of Old E 3F only gained me 4 fps for 1124fps. Both Old E and Unique loads were pretty accurate at 50 yards (the limit of my eyes with blurry barrel sights). But I think the Unique load was the best. It was hitting to the right initially, so I kept adjusting the sights. The last group was the best, centered at 6 O'clock.

The 19th century dip lube worked very well. Fouling was minimal and soft, and there was a nice lube star at the muzzle.

A good day at the range  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2020 at 8:28pm by ndnchf »  

IP Logged

oldman46
Senior Forum Member

Reply #24 - May 8th, 2020 at 2:57am
Print Post  
May not mean nothing so here goes. Seem to remember a British shooter shooting the heel bullets in a 310 Cadet martini. And that although he was using smokeless powder, he noted the heeled portion of the bullet had expanded to fit the bore of the martini. This was in a British published magazine "Target Gun" or similar name. Maybe changing the alloy you are presently using to something softer may help.Though this may be a guess on my part. One observation though, looks to have a pretty fair crimp in your pic. Ever try a lesser crimp or no crimp?. I read the articles and you did mention that the velocity did pick up after crimping. Nice article and very well written. I load for a bolt action (yeah bolt action) 1935 Finn model 27 in 7.62x54r. I use the lyman #314299 sized .3135 and a mandrel I made to fit a Lyman "M" die and no crimp at all. two inch groups and the limiting factor is 73 year old eyes. I figure my neck tension is about 2-3 thousandths tops. Have fun Frank

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - May 8th, 2020 at 6:43am
Print Post  
I have read somewhere about the heel expanding into the grooves in some cases.  These bullets are pretty soft at 40:1.  The heel is .412", barrel groove is .430".  I don't know if they are expanding that much or not.

Up until yesterday, I've been shooting with no crimp, just .002" - .003" neck tension.  I just received the special crimp die a couple days ago, so this is the first test.  The crimp does look pretty fair.  But the top of the heel where the mouth crimps is where the lube groove used to be.  Recall that I machine off the bottom band of Lyman 4270918 bullets to make these heel bullets. So  the case mouth is actually crimping into the remnants of the lost grease groove.

I have a proper heel bullet mold coming from Bernie.  I'm looking forward to trying those bullets next.

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - May 10th, 2020 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
The new 44 S&W American mold arrived from Bernie Rowles yesterday. After seasoning and prep, I had my first casting session with it today. Its heavy, but works great and casts a beautiful heel bullet. 

I hope to range test them later this week.

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Jun 11th, 2020 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
I took the .44 rimfire/centerfire #2 rolling block to the range today. This was the first time out with bullets from the new Old West bullet mold. Accuracy was nothing to brag about. But its a good start. I made a short video of the fun.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Jun 11th, 2020 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Good for you on that video nd, I doubt I could get twenty seconds into something like that. Groups are fine, they’ll get better, but it’s shooting.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Jun 11th, 2020 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Steve, nice video. Have you tried a harder alloy? Have you tried resting your rifle on the foreend just in front of the action or about 4 to 6 inches from the muzzle?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint