Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic E. Remington receipt (1878) (Read 2843 times)
Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

E. Remington receipt (1878)
Apr 21st, 2020 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
Most of us have other "stuff" we bought at a show or on line that goes along with the single-shot rifles we collect and shoot. The reloading tools can be hard to find but are still available with some patience. 

Paper collectibles are harder to find because they just don't last. We still see occasional catalogs but rarely early factory letterheads and receipts.

This is a 1878 dated E. Remington & Sons receipt for "1 Windgauge sight with spirit level & disc" for 9.80 !

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Re: E. Remington receipt (1878)
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2020 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
Actually, it's for $7.20 ($9.00 - $0.80 discount).  That's about $175 in 2020 dollars, a relative bargain judged by what we'd pay for a similar new sight today.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2020 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
I always look for old gun letters from the factory. I've got a dozen or so from Marlin to various customers. It's fun to read the replies and figure out what they had requested. Sometimes it's just a catalog, and other times it's services, or particulars about what they'd like on a gun they're ordering.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Spud
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2020 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Unfortunately I don't have any old factory letters but my bookcase is full of the old catalogues. Recently a friend who knows I'm into single shots appeared with this little gem. It's an old printing block with a reverse image of a Favorite used to illustrate a Stevens catalogue. Made of wood & copper it now sits pride of place in the Stevens section of the bookcase. 
Spud

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2020 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
That's too cool Spud ... very neat!

IP Logged

Spud
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Apr 22nd, 2020 at 12:10am
Print Post  
Yes Joe, it's just one of those things you'd never expect to see....let alone out here in Oz!
Pete

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Apr 22nd, 2020 at 10:22am
Print Post  
Spud I have one of those printing blocks also! Mine is for the Model 1893 Marlin repeater, and I bought it at the Missouri Valley Arms show in KC years ago. The seller was setting about 6 of them out on his table as we were talking and I lost my voice as I saw them! I asked how much they were, and he told me they were all promised to a collector he was going to meet there. As I looked through them I noticed they were for all the various Marlin models made in the 1890's, except for one. The one was for a Model '93 that wasn't cataloged until the name change in 1905. So I mentioned he had two for the same model, the 1893 and '93. He allowed me to buy one of them and I chose the earlier version, the Model 1893. Wish I could have gotten all of them as he wanted $75 for the set then!! A bargain even 20 years ago I thought.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint