Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Davenport/Bay State/H&A falling blocks (Read 4843 times)
kootne
Senior Forum Member

Davenport/Bay State/H&A falling blocks
Apr 15th, 2020 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
I sorta followed the For Sale thread by SBoomer of his scattergun to Greg. Not thinking that For Sale was place to wring out all the "can you?'s" "have you's?" and "what if's" that are likely on such a topic I thought I would take it up here. 
I know there are some potential touchy areas about these guns but I am not trying to be provocative, just trying get some ideas based on others experience and/or research and calculation.
Here's a couple questions to start;
1. What is the actual thrust of a 12 gauge BP shell as compared to a 38/55 BP load assuming factory loads?
2. What is the effective retaining area of that cross pin compared to say the threaded shank of an 1894 Winchester?
Thanks,
Dennis
P.S. I do have some experience with these, but some of is probably that of a fool venturing where angels fear to tread.

You can't make good decisions without good information.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Davenport/Bay State/H&A falling blocks
Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2020 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Just at a glance it would seem to me that regarding the barrel the only forces that have to be overcome in the connection of it to the action are the recoil that would tend to back the action away from it and the drag of the projectile tending to pull it along away from the action.

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2020 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
I knew a guy back in the early 80s he had a 12 gauge one in good shape and had a threaded liner silver soldered inside and screwed on a 4570 barrel. He shot straight black and duplex with the old 500 grain  Lee bullet At several about early gong matches. He never had any trouble , not trying to recommend it. But he got away with it.

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2020 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
I've had an old beater hanging at the back of my workbench for 30-something years and have wondered if you could cut off the old shotgun barrel in front of the action and then thread that for a barrel?  It's a 16 ga.

Regards,
Joe

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2020 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Thanks for starting this Dennis.  I really have no idea what I'll ever do with this setup, doubt I'd ever turn it into a 45-70 or even a 38-55, maybe someday if I ran out of projects I'd treat it about like a #2 Ballard and make it a quarter bore something - or less... 25-20?   It got my attention primarily because I don't have one in the stable.  I do have the small H&A casting from Rodney so this makes a Brace not that they are the same, just the mfg.  Grin
If I recall and maybe someone will set me straight, early 12 gauge had pressure measured in LUP, but even the 38-55 black was measured in CUP and there's little to no correlation between the two?  My engineer is away but the moment acting against a cross pin vs. what's spread around the diameter of a set of threads - I say moment -because of the inertia caused by the twist of the rifling?  a shotgun is a smooth bore so it's only a linear force...?

More to Ponder,
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #5 - Apr 15th, 2020 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
I've had an old beater hanging at the back of my workbench for 30-something years and have wondered if you could cut off the old shotgun barrel in front of the action and then thread that for a barrel?  It's a 16 ga.

My advice, though you didn't ask for it, is to leave it hang.  Smiley

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Apr 15th, 2020 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
First I need to make a confession. Back sometime in the mid '90's a friend brought me one of those H&A 12ga. shotguns and a take off Shiloh .40/65 barrel. Told me to fit the barrel to the shotgun. I'm sure I raised one if not both eyebrows at the time. "What if it blows?" "Don't worry, I only have $150 in the whole pile", he said.
So I got after it. The hole wasn't straight to the breechblock face or the front of the receiver. So I got the thing in the mill true to the breechblock and bored the hole just enough to clean it up round and faced the receiver. Then I shanked the barrel to fit the receiver and give me snug headspace. This particular specimen had a set screw from the bottom rather than the cross bolt so I put that set screw divot in about 5 or 10 thou off in the direction it would want to pull it together when tightened. I had a pump repair business at the time and some real good industrial sleeve retainer grade Loktite which I slopped on barrel, receiver and set screw and assembled everything TIGHT with capital letters. I checked headspace with a feeler gauge, let it set a few days and tried a heavy BP load with I think a 400 grain bullet. I put on every piece of welding leather I could get into and turned my head like I was sure it would blow when I pulled the trigger. Bang. It was still together and headspace didn't move. He shot it for years in the BP schuetzen matches at Butte. The headspace never did move. Last I heard he still has it but as a backup gun now. 
Now I have a Baystate which I think is the midsize frame. At least it is bigger than my 3922 H&A. It is a .32 Long with a nifty little plate sliding sideways in a dovetail to switch from RF to CF. This one has the cross bolt which is tapered so it really does snug the barrel in without slop. I am thinking about fitting a .38 Douglas barrel to it and making the chamber .38/40 Remington. Not real sure why, except like my old friend, I'm into the stuff for a really low dollar amount. But all I ever hear now days is negative about these guns and maybe I'm not as bold as I was years ago. I really think this will hold up, I have seen several Baystate's in .32/40 and .38/55 with the cross bolt over the years on the net but don't know if they have a smooth  or threaded shank. Mine is smooth and I don't want to glue this one.

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Apr 16th, 2020 at 10:49am
Print Post  
Kootne,
Thanx for moving/starting this thread. It should be an interesting one. People are very quick nowadays to say what can’t be done. This, in my opinion, is decades of conditioning from the sue happy legal system. There are probably several old timers on this forum who have the common sense to know what shouldn’t be done as far as conversions, litigation not even factored. Kootne’s writeup on the H&A is a great example of a fun project and one I have absolutely no issue with. In my opinion, the younger generations have all but lost touch with the common sense aspect.....they read too much and then gurge it as fact. I read a comment the other day in an aviation forum that planes with less than 150hp should be removed from service as they are barely able to fly and therefore unsafe. I fly a 1940 Taylorcraft with 65hp. In average conditions, with another adult I am off the ground in 600-800’. By myself, many times up in 350’. The kid(?) has probably never even flown in anything but a high performance aircraft if at all. 

GT, Funny you bring up the moment thing. Out of what must have been pure boredom yesterday, I started to calculate that exact comparison. I got sidetracked after talking to Gail about a set trigger mod on my Stevens. I never did finish the calcs. I got as far as starting to calculate the shear in the engagement of the tapered crosspin based on lowly 1018. Gut feel says the rotational moment is a couple pounds at most and a complete non-factor.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Apr 16th, 2020 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
"GT, Funny you bring up the moment thing. Out of what must have been pure boredom yesterday, I started to calculate that exact comparison. I got sidetracked after talking to Gail about a set trigger mod on my Stevens. I never did finish the calcs. I got as far as starting to calculate the shear in the engagement of the tapered crosspin based on lowly 1018. Gut feel says the rotational moment is a couple pounds at most and a complete non-factor."

Mike, 
My preliminary after I mentioned it did amount to just a few pound of of force, insignificant.  BUT, I had a situation in the industry a few years back that surprised me... It's something I always consider now.  In brief, we use to make a cannon that a customer used for removing jewelry pins on a fairly large pieces of equipment.  (for those not exposed to this, the rigging on dragline's - chains, yokes, pins etc. is referred to as jewely, even though the links of this little chain may have an 6" cross section  Smiley and the little pins are 10" diameter)  Anyway, before they deemed this process unsafe, we'd make a cannon (18 or 24" od x 5' long) that would shoot a 5" dia. 8" long bullet propelled by det cord.  The back up for the cannon would be the blade of a D10 or D11 dozer and some serious pressure would be applied to hold the cannon in place, touch things off and the pin is removed from it's place in milliseconds.   First couple of acts - smiles were everywhere, resembling kids in a candy store... Now, with all this pressure holding the cannon in place, we'd occasionally see rotation of the cannon upon firing, occasionally as much as 10° - explain that???  it was determined that when we were making the cannon and backed the spade drill out of the hole once to depth, (usually 36") it produced a significant "rifling" and for the first few firings created a "moment of Inertia".  The original fit of the bore to projectile was loose - relatively speaking - .010"  -made a lasting impression on me  Grin
Greg

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Apr 16th, 2020 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Ive never done calcs for a 101 ton breechblock Shocked
I wonder if it had anything to do with the wrap direction of the det cord?

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Apr 16th, 2020 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
The direction of wrap may have had something to do with it, but the rotation stopped as the bore eroded - if I recall it correctly.  Undecided Who's to say though, things I think I recall clearly aren't exactly the way others tell me they were... Grin

IP Logged

scharfe
Oldtimer

A good plan today beats
a perfect plan tomorrow.

Reply #11 - Apr 16th, 2020 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
Yikes. What do you play with on the 4th of July semtex ?

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Apr 16th, 2020 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
scharfe wrote on Apr 16th, 2020 at 2:23pm:
Yikes. What do you play with on the 4th of July semtex ?

believe me, when you work around this stuff day to day, you look forward to the little things that aren't life threatening on the days off, so 4th of July - sparklers, smoke bombs, lady fingers...  Smiley 22 rf, quarter bore BP... Grin  Grin

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Apr 17th, 2020 at 10:06am
Print Post  
Guess you could call that cannon a single shot. A gain twist might have prevented the rotation  Grin Grin.

Have always figured the pressure times the bullet base area as the force on the barrel joint, maybe conservative.
Chuck

IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
Well, I have reconsidered my .38/40 Rem. idea and am thinking when I get around to reworking my rifle I will make it into a .38 L. Heel bullets and all. At this point in time I think a plinker would get more use and provide more enjoyment.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint