Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Casting Problem - SOLVED! (Read 13440 times)
hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Re: Casting Problem - SOLVED!
Reply #15 - Apr 14th, 2020 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Apr 14th, 2020 at 4:50pm:
My experiments indicated a thermocouple ion the mold maintaining constant pout temp will add more consistency than precise melt temp.

I've got a thermocouple meter. What probe model would be best for attaching to the mold?

IP Logged

hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #16 - Apr 14th, 2020 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
GWarden wrote on Apr 14th, 2020 at 4:56pm:
hepburnman
Go to Auber Instruments site. model WS-1510DPMA, plus a thermocouple probe WRNK-191
bob

That's exactly what I had in mind! 

How well does it work? Also, if my pot controller only goes to say, 800 F, will this PID allow the pot to go higher, or are you limited by the pot's temperature control (I probably know the answer)?

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Apr 14th, 2020 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
hepburnman wrote on Apr 14th, 2020 at 5:09pm:
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Apr 14th, 2020 at 4:50pm:
My experiments indicated a thermocouple ion the mold maintaining constant pout temp will add more consistency than precise melt temp.

I've got a thermocouple meter. What probe model would be best for attaching to the mold?

I used a Type K under a screw I drilled and tapped in the lower corner of the mold.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Apr 14th, 2020 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
hepburnman wrote on Apr 14th, 2020 at 5:15pm:
GWarden wrote on Apr 14th, 2020 at 4:56pm:
hepburnman
Go to Auber Instruments site. model WS-1510DPMA, plus a thermocouple probe WRNK-191
bob

That's exactly what I had in mind! 

How well does it work? Also, if my pot controller only goes to say, 800 F, will this PID allow the pot to go higher, or are you limited by the pot's temperature control (I probably know the answer)?

Assuming the Tstat is the limiting factor, you will have to bypass it. If the heating element is maxed out, no. 

This one is ready to go for less $$   

OOPS!  Forgot to post the link  Embarrassed (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2020 at 4:08am by Schuetzenmiester »  

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

tdmidget

Reply #19 - Apr 18th, 2020 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
OLD TUCK wrote on Apr 14th, 2020 at 11:15am:
Keep an eye on the Lead when you get it a little low in the Pot. Many years ago I used an electric Pot that just ran flat out, held about 20 Lbs. But when it got down about 2" from the top it could and would bring the lead to a low BOIL! once I recognized that I kept a few ingots on the top back edge and would slip one in
and already being hot they would melt in almost instantly and I could get right back to Casting. Getting a good casting process going has always worked well for me. No distraction, just get going and no looking the bullets over and rolling them around on the towel. That just allows the Mold to lose temperature and then you start seeing bases that are not quite filled out. I never had the one that has been posted with one side not filling out, but I use almost all Nose pour and so when I break the sprue off I roll the mold over and glance at the base, if I see any thing out of the normal it goes back in the pot. I now use a Gas pot and know just about where to set the flame for good bullets. I do know when I have it right when I get going and get slightly frosted bullets and occasionally indications that Vent lines are trying to cast. When you start casting vent lines you KNOW you cannot cast that cavity any better. Well all for now. Regards FITZ.
OLDTUCK Smiley

I can't believe the BS on this forum. I am away a few days and it's crazy. Lead boils at 3180 degrees. It did not boil since the cast iron pot would have been liquid at 2300 degrees F. Do you people even think before you post?

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Apr 18th, 2020 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
Well, numbers aside, I cast a lot like Fitz, and I'll go with his description. 
Midget, a lot of us really do BS around here- some oc us have Weber seaters, some use plugged cases. Most of us don't quibble about it as much as you.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #21 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 6:17am
Print Post  
"I can't believe the BS on this forum. I am away a few days and it's crazy. Lead boils at 3180 degrees. It did not boil since the cast iron pot would have been liquid at 2300 degrees F. Do you people even think before you post?"

We don't have to be accurate on this forum, just politically correct. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
I had a reminder of a related problem this afternoon (not the politically correct problem). If I don't pay attention to the level in the pot as regards the Lyman thermometer, the temperature reading will rise as the alloy level drops. I kept turning up the thermostat as the reading dropped.  This is not a true measurement. Once I remembered this happening I adjusted the thermometer lower and the temp shot up way past what I like. 

JS 

IP Logged

OLD TUCK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #23 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
fdmidget Not every thing is BS. Knowledge comes from observed results in many cases. I started casting Bullets when I was 14 or 15. I am now in my 79th year and have been an active shooter all the way. What I can say is that the 20 LB pot I was using only ran at one power level all the time. And when the level got low it would start bubbling, not with a lot of action but a slow bubbling activity. Now this is or was the only time I ever observed this with all kinds of different pots both Electric or Gas. And it did not start until I had taken the Level of the lead down about 2" from the top surface of the pot. We hear all kinds of stuff today about lead poisen issues. I got a little concerned so in January of this year when I had a wellness check with my Primary Care Physician I asked him to do a Blood work up on me and specifically asked for a Lead check. I forget right now what the number was but it was low. So I guess my style of BS has not harmed me so far.Regards, FITZ OLD TUCK Roll Eyes

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Before I got this Digitaly controlled Lyman Mag 25 Pot a few years back. I had my Lee 20lb ladle pour pot plugged into a 1000 watt dimmer switch for well over 20 years. My Dear Friend Jim Borton turned me into using it and it worked out extremely well. The Lyman bi-metal thermo. switch was diss-conneted and the power to the heating element was then always remained the same. There was no more cycling on or off and the temp. remained very close to always being the same. Didn't seem to matter much if the pot was full, half emtpy or three fourths empty. This new high dollar PID controlled Lyman Mag 25 Digital pot is constantly turning on and off. The temp. swings are now more than I ever got from using the dimmer switch in my inexpensive Lee 20 pound pot I used for years. The PID is nothing more than an another off and on power controller and it is still providing several temp. swings.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #25 - Apr 20th, 2020 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
I might have been too quick to declare "Problem Solved". In a casting session over the weekend I casted at 900 F and tried to cast about as fast as I could. I could get properly filled out bullets, at times, but any slight deviation from a fast pace would show up where some the edges of some of the lube-bands, on one side of the bullet, would be a bit rounded and not sharp like they should be.

I normally don't mind casting but this mold is no fun. Bullets also need a lot of encouragement to drop out.

I might try purchasing an engraving tool that matches my vent groove widths and try and deepen them a bit more. May cause other difficulties, me thinks  Tongue

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Apr 20th, 2020 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
You could stone a small bevel at the top that was suggested above. That should vent it is that is the problem.

IP Logged

hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #27 - Apr 20th, 2020 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
I did try stoning a bevel at the top. Not sure how big to make it after trying several times.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Apr 20th, 2020 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
It should not take too much. Barely touching the vent lines with an engraving tool took care of the issues on the only one I ever had a problem like that. 

You can probably grind a engraving point on a small drill bit if you keep it cool while grinding. Should be able to find the shape googling.

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #29 - Apr 21st, 2020 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
Somewhere in the recent past I recall a comment, I believe by JLouis about dipping one corner of the mold in the melt to help it retain heat.  Maybe on the side that doesn't want to fill out?

Regards,
Joe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint